Stereo Setup Suggestions

q accoustics is an excellant choice .im planning to buy a pair

this simple solution but effective. :D
o.png

If ketan's answer is negative when testing with iPad, then read below [emoji2]

@shkumar
As per specs on marantz site, That amp is rated for 100wpc @8 ohms and 140wpc@6 ohms.
1- There is no frequency range listed for above rating (which most likely means that's not for full range)
2- there is no mention of this is peak or continous power.
3- there is no mention on how many channels driven that the above numbers are for (which most likely means it is for one channel driven)
4- the speakers (EBK 4312) specs state MAX power is 200w and impedance is 6ohms.

Purely given above information, I doubt anyone can say with certainty for sure if the amp is powerful enough .

I had a similar issue when matching amp and speaker with more or less same specs.

It is certainly useable but if the sound output is weak, the chances most likely are
A- the player output is lower that what that receiver is expecting. Which can be checked by using optical as you suggested.
B- the speaker needs more juice to deliver.
You do have a point. But if it turned out the amp was not of sufficient power I will be truly surprised. but there is no harm in going to a dealer and checking out other amps. But remember the following in order not to waste your money.

1. You need about 1 watt to generate 91 db at 1 m distance with your speakers (assuming 91 db sensitivity). 91 db is rather loud for home listening at least for me.

2. Buy new power amp only if your current amp does not produce enough volume for you. Different volume knobs are set up differently. Some start playing at 10% range while others take 40% range. In most 5 or 7 channel receivers, the limitation is usually the power sypply. So if while driving all 5 channels you don't find enough power, drive only two channels and your power should be sufficient.

3. If you decide your current receiver is not powerful enough, you may use the current receiver as a pre amp (if it has preamp out). That will save some money and you can just buy a power amp.

4. 10000 rs (less than $200) is just not enough to upgrade from sr 5008. In us sr 5008 cost about $600. And why to drive $5000 speakers with $200 amp?

5. In any case do not spend the money till you hear a real difference in sound quality.

Last edited:
While it does not specify clearly the specs as o read them sau 140w each channel between 10hz to 100 khz. Very difficult to believe for me that it is not enough power if it working as per the specs. But no harm going to a dealer a checking out other amplifiers.

AUDIO SECTION
Power Output100W (0.08% @ 8 Ohm), 140W (0.7% @ 6 Ohm)
S/N Ratio100dB
Freq. Response (Analog In)10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Freq. Response (Dig In)No

I agree with shkumar on both below
1- 10k INR is not going to get you a more powerful amp with clean power.
2- driving 5kUSD speakers with a reciever (of that caliber) is like a Ferrari engine on a bullock cart no offence intended.

Did you check the speakers. Are they old. The original models were introduced 35 years back. But yours are probably newer or even new. Check continuity on all drivers and check that all bass and mid drivers have intact surrounds. If you decide to go for a used amp, check out the speakers first at a dealer with a new amp to make sure that speakers are performing well. Dealer will tell you if he sees anything wrong with the speakers.

Last edited:
Dear All
Many thanks for the encouraging feedback.
1. These speakers were purchased in Mumbai for 40 k speaker with original box packaging the model nbr is jbl "4312 e" this was on JBL India site for 60 K during 12-13.
2. Speakers were inspected by an "integrator" for physical condition around drivers as well as on connectors(condition good ) and audition on Pioneer av reciever and purchased against recommendation.
3. I am happy with Marantz sr 5008 which has a "pre out" option.
4. I have done audessy n increased the" source imput" level in settings upto "8 ". Which was on 0 with default setting. (Recommended by forum).
4. With pt nr. 3.there has been improvement with volume comming from "30" instead of "45" thru speaker. ( off course it differs from source to source viz FM , CD, etc.).
5. While i understand 10 k is low for pre used power amp but I am in no hurry for good equipment however ask u for advise with ur experience what should be the target price for such Power amp?.Also if I migrate to additional 2 surround speakers of 100 watts with centre will it hamper further the performance output my existing 2 channel ?.if so..
Is it advisable to trade off these 2 jbl ( i still have the box packing) and look for some thing different in towers..Polka audio , Jamo or 5.1 deftech cinema 800 .?.

Advise pleasee.

Dear All
Many thanks for the encouraging feedback.
1. These speakers were purchased in Mumbai for 40 k speaker with original box packaging the model nbr is jbl "4312 e" this was on JBL India site for 60 K during 12-13.
2. Speakers were inspected by an "integrator" for physical condition around drivers as well as on connectors(condition good ) and audition on Pioneer av reciever and purchased against recommendation.
3. I am happy with Marantz sr 5008 which has a "pre out" option.
4. I have done audessy n increased the" source imput" level in settings upto "8 ". Which was on 0 with default setting. (Recommended by forum).
4. With pt nr. 3.there has been improvement with volume comming from "30" instead of "45" thru speaker. ( off course it differs from source to source viz FM , CD, etc.).
5. While i understand 10 k is low for pre used power amp but I am in no hurry for good equipment however ask u for advise with ur experience what should be the target price for such Power amp?.Also if I migrate to additional 2 surround speakers of 100 watts with centre will it hamper further the performance output my existing 2 channel ?.if so..
Is it advisable to trade off these 2 jbl ( i still have the box packing) and look for some thing different in towers..Polka audio , Jamo or 5.1 deftech cinema 800 .?.

Advise pleasee.

If I am understanding you correctly you are having difficulty getting output from your speakers unless you drive up the "volume" on your receiver, if so here is the basic problem -

IF the speakers are in normal working condition and everything is working as it should be then your only problem is the speakers are not getting enough voltage.

IF the receiver is also working as it should be then it has enough power to drive the speakers, not to its max output but enough to produce sound of a reasonable level that is approaching the speakers maximum SPL capabilities but not quite, assuming its power specs are correct, but they usually are not.

In this case it is simply a matter of not enough output voltage from the receiver to the speaker, which would be a result of not enough input signal to the receiver.

I have not read all your posts but it sounds like all you need to do is increase the input signal to the receiver or increase the "gain" ie the output signal level from the receiver.

I would recommend increasing the input signal. You probably don't need a different amp unless your receiver is faulty or unless you want the absolute maximum possible output from the speakers, there is some risk of damage of course as you try to give it too much power.

A rough calculation suggests that at about 13 feet of distance you should get about 105-107db of SPL from a pair of these speakers, assuming all specs are correct.

You have what appears to be good speakers, I would not recommend changing them.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
@ketanpote
As per what has been suggested above, try to first audition your speakers with other amps.

That is the only way to know with absolute certainty what the speakers are capable of.

Once you know which spec amp seems to drive your speaker well, it will be clearer on what options you have

You can also try KEF(UK) Q 300(35k INR). It has the patent uni-Q drivers delivering amazing clarity, bass and sound stage. I had opted for this after auditioning Q acoustics 2020i, Polk rti, B&W 685 and Dali. But its my personal opinion and pls trust your ears more than anyone else in the world while auditioning, cheers!

Dear All- Can u Pl adv on below:
5. While i understand 10 k is low for pre used power amp but I am in no hurry for good equipment however ask u for advise with ur experience what should be the target price for such Power amp?.Also if I migrate to additional 2 surround speakers of 100 watts with centre will it hamper further the performance output my existing 2 channel ?.

There is a strong body of science that show that amps do not change the sound quality but just increase the volume. I do not believe in that but i feel that amp makes less of a difference in sound quality that pre amp and speakers. So just buy an amp that has enough power for your use. Best way is to take your speakers to a dealer, connect them to an amp that you want to buy and choose one that sounds good and have enough power. it us that will be about $500 or above.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I auditioned the following equipment:
Q Acoustic 2020i with Marantz- Amazing clarity, however found the lower end lacking.
Polk RTi A1/ A3 With Denon 720AE- Boomy sound with Harsh Treble.
Diamond 122 with Denon 720/ Marantz- Good clarity/ nice low end with all rounded sound.
Quad 11L with Denon 720AE- This is what I decided on!
Reasons- Quads have amazing clarity & sound imaging with very controlled low end which I enjoyed.
Denon because good amount of power & a pre out which was a necessity considering a future sub integration.
I did go over budget by a bit !

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back