Studio Monitors

I recommend to use this as stop gap measure as they are very fatiguing. Save some money and you will not notice that even satellite speakers of the last few years will sound better than these. They do make decent computer speakers if you have a cheapo amp though.

A popular statement in the studios of Chennai is 'If you can get a mix to sound decent enough on a pair of NS10s it's guaranteed it will sound good on Tea Kadai Radio set

I am not making any conclusion guys and interpretation is open. The above statement could mean the NS10 is such an excellent studio monitor or that it is so crappy that if you could make your mix sound good in them any speaker in the world could play it

Fun aside it was truly a legend and almost all leading sound engineers have used it atleast once in their lives but times have changed and it no longer holds the reputation it once held. Yamaha claimed they were not able to source the pulp for making the speakers from Burma and stopped the model.

cracky is good with your question,, its better if you sell off your monitors,, they are for a very specific purpose,of making music. probably u have something which is wanted by every pro sound recordist.. it would be good you make your own,, stuff to suit you.

Most of studio monitors are very flat across the entire bandwidth and uncolored to a large extent. they tend to reveal the source material and the electronics if its passive, advantage is you can pick up active mointors then need not worry about electronics except for the player. Question is would you like to hear what the sound engineer or music director wants to hear.

Most paper-based speaker cones are pressed from pulp using a curved mould because moulding allows production of a curved cone profile. The NS10's white driver cone was not pressed, but curled from a flat paper sheet and then glued to join the edges. If you take a close look at the white cone picture in the middle of the attached article, you can clearly see the joint at 12 o'clock position. This resulted in a straight sided cone, which didnt have a curved profile like most cone drivers have. Advanced developments in loudspeaker technologies worldwide, eventually left the NS10M with dwindling sales and unfeasibility to manufacture, so the non availability of pulp story was cooked up to give the NS10M a happy ending. Many Audiophiles still blame the NS10M for being the reason much of their favourite music mixed on them sounds terrible. Mixing music on the NS10M was like trying to draw a straight line with a crooked ruler. But the Yamaha NS10M passive studio monitoring speaker has had a very interesting history. Attached is a long and detailed article
The Yamaha NS10 Story

Last edited:
I have been looking at all the active loudspeaker monitor brands available. There seem to be quite a few out there Adam, Behringer, Dynaudio, Event, Focal, Genelec, KRK, K+H, M-Audio, Mackie, PMC, Samson, Tapco, Yamaha etc etc. But the new Genelec mid-high coax three way that is to come, looks very interesting. I only wish I could afford it!
Genelec Oy - Latest News

Active monitor speakers - Bangalore

Any one knows who deals in these ?
Behringer, M- Audio or any other.
Looking for small active monitor speakers. Not pc speakers.

Re: Active monitor speakers - Bangalore

Any one knows who deals in these ?
Behringer, M- Audio or any other.
Looking for small active monitor speakers. Not pc speakers.

What's the budget? I'm using AVI ADM 9.1 and they are supergood. Can recommend without any hesitation to anyone and they are like an all-in-one solution. Don't think they are available here though.

Otherwise Quad have a couple and they are good too.

At the lower end of the budget Audioengine A5 are the best I've heard.

What's the budget? I'm using AVI ADM 9.1 and they are supergood. Can recommend without any hesitation to anyone and they are like an all-in-one solution. Don't think they are available here though.

Otherwise Quad have a couple and they are good too.

At the lower end of the budget Audioengine A5 are the best I've heard.

This is not for me. A friend wants something in the 6 or 7k point. For mixing gaming sounds for casual games.
I saw some behringer ones around this price point on bajaoo.com but if you see the amazon process, they seem almost double:mad: I am wondering if it is worth it.

Ok. At that budget the best are the Altec Lansing MX 5021 and even they are PC speakers performance wise they are way much better especially for music. If he can bump the budget the Audioengine A2 are an option, but personally I did not like them very much and the A5s are way better though at twice the cost. Klipsch ProMedia will also come around the same cost and perform very well too, but again PC speakers.

This is not for me. A friend wants something in the 6 or 7k point. For mixing gaming sounds for casual games.
I saw some behringer ones around this price point on bajaoo.com but if you see the amazon process, they seem almost double:mad: I am wondering if it is worth it.

I'm just wondering "mixing gaming sounds" would that be in a studio?

I'm just wondering "mixing gaming sounds" would that be in a studio?

Nope. Not in a studio. On his desktop which is a small studio by itself:). The sound samples come from an outsourced proper studio.

A few of the active monitor brands are Adam, Behringer, Blue Sky, Dynaudio, Event, Focal, Genelec, KRK, K+H, M&K, M-Audio, Mackie, PMC, Samson, Tapco, Yamaha to name some. Having used almost all these, I have found the Genelec range to be the best and most accurate. Ofcourse, if you get into this product, make sure someone competent calibrates them properly for your room environment as their default setting is for a 4? (four pi) full space. After calibration, to mix accurately on them is quite easy. You could check out their tiny 6010+5040 system for the purpose you describe.

Last edited:

I am originally from Bombay but mostly travelling all over the world these days. A new Genelec 6010 was around Rs15k each, if I can remember right. The 6k figure is irrelevent to the discussion as it is impossible to get any brand new proper reference active studio monitoring system at that price with all duties and taxes paid. Unless you start to call any crap speaker a reference studio monitor. A neutral sounding reference active loudspeaker monitoring system needs to be capable of being calibrated for a flat frequency response for the room it is being used in and needs to have very low diffraction and should also have a flat on and off axis frequency response. At a 6k budget, perhaps it might be a good idea to look for a proper second hand loudspeaker monitoring system as there are many options available in the used market.

He can also check out KRK Rokit 5 speakers not sure where its available in India though. Hifi is right when it comes to those Genelecs he has mentioned those are cheaper than the other Genelec models.

Also for 6k he cant realistically get any good active speakers. may be audio engine A2(around 9k) which are good but cant be considered as studio monitors.

Thanks guys. He managed to find a pair of yamaha active monitors (used) for 9k.....:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back