Stylus maintenance

My record collection is very old and has not been well maintained so I need to clean the stylus after every record. I blow the stylus or use a very mild paint brush. Does the job.

hi,

I clean the stylus with the brush that came along with them ,before I place it on the record everytime.

N.Murali

Hi,
I have had a TT since 1986, but must say I was never seriously into it until very recently. Initially I was using the Canton stylus cleaning solution with the little brush that came with it. This was bought in Germany a long time ago. When it all got consumed, I got a 75% solution of Isopropyl alcohol. Recently I heard that using alcohol may dissolve the glue that fixes the needle to the cantilever and the needle may fall off after repeated use. Very recently I got myself the Clearaudio "Elixir of Sound" stylus cleaning solution (from elusivedisc.com for about USD 30) which explicitly says that it contains almost no alcohol. I usually clean the stylus once for every record I play, with a few very light strokes from the cantilever side to the tip of the needle using the brush supplied with the liquid.

Regards.

agree with Asit, I use the same approach. Avoid anything with alcohol content unless your stylus is extremely clogged and has a hard cake of dust on it...it would be a good idea to control the source of dust as well - play only clean LPs...avoid playing LPs from friends, pre-used purchases, etc without cleaning..!!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back