Sub woofer cabinet : Chennai

darkblack

Hi,
I have a xm222 car amp which I plan to use a sub woofer. The amp has a 222W RMS rating. I want to build/buy a suitable sub woofer for this amp. My listening room is small around 12ft x 12 ft and my budget is tight. Max 3 k

Now, I will be able to lay my hands on a decent sub woofer driver from pioneer / jbl for around 2.5 - 3K. I can also get a cheap MDF based cabinet like this, basically used for cars. I have seen a few cabinets with a port on top, some completely sealed.

My question(s) are

1) Will this sort of cabinet, provide the proper acoustic effects when used at home?

2) I see in Ritchie street, there are several shops which sell speaker cabinets. Are you guys aware of any place where I can get a cheap (1K max), proper, home use, down firing or similar cabinets?

3) I was in Vipul in ritche street earlier, they have subwoofers from Zipp and Bolton in 2.5, 3k levels....anybody heard about it? worth it?

Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Darkblack,

So you are using a car amp for sub in a home. The amp you mentioned may be a bit underpowered. The Sony user manual quotes 80 watts RMS into 4 ohms in Bridge Tied Load configuration. It may be OK if you have a driver with high sensitivity and small room combination.
Since you already have the amp you could experiment and upgrade the amp later if need be.

Your specific answers:-

1) The cabinets for car use will generally not work for home use. The cabinet type (sealed or ported) will depend on the TS paremeters. Check the parameters before purchasing the driver. The box tuning is different for car and home use.

2) In my opinion the locally cabs are not good and may be weak. The cab is quite crucial to the overall performance in sub. If I were you, I'd build my own cab.

3) Those drivers dont come with TS parameters and you can only be sure of which box to put them in once you have the params. The params vary quite a bit between piece to piece so local subs are not worth considering. They generally have a high Qts probably because the magnet is weak and it gives a peaky (boomy) soound wjhen the driver is put in a typical box. This high Qts often makes them suitable only for sealed use and at times makes them completely useless.

However, the good news is that car subs come with the TS parameters. They also come with suggested alignments (cab type) but you cannot use the mentioned alignments because they are meant for car environment (very small room). You need to model those drivers in some simulator like speakerworkshop etc.

You did not mention how you are going to power that amp. The sub typically needs a power supply that is rated at twice the max continous power that you need in real use. Factor in the cost of supply transformer and capacitors for the supply.

An alternative is to use PC SMPS for the supply.

Hope I ve provided you the needed answers.

Regards,
Goldy

Thanks Goldy.
I have setup this task of finding the right cabinet & woofer for this weekend. I will keep you posted

For the powersupply, I got a 10A , 12W SMPS from a local vendor here

Cheers

Hi,
2) I see in Ritchie street, there are several shops which sell speaker cabinets. Are you guys aware of any place where I can get a cheap (1K max), proper, home use, down firing or similar cabinets?

3) I was in Vipul in ritche street earlier, they have subwoofers from Zipp and Bolton in 2.5, 3k levels....anybody heard about it? worth it?

Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi darkblack,

Try this Ph. no. 04428415511 and ask for Mr.Amendeep Singh who manufactures Amplifiers, speakers, subwoofers with the brand name called TEKNIKS in Ritche St can help you.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sub

Thanks. I have been to his shop next to RadioVision. It has been around for ages. I will try him and let you know.

Thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back