Subwoofer affecting vocals?

Is there a
Sorry. My bad. I didn't read from the start of the thread.
Your sub, connection wise, is almost the same as REL T9i (one I have)
Wonder if the sub circuit is presenting any impedance even if it is off?

Cheers,
Raghu

Is there some way to check or fix this thing. Like putting a resistor in series, will it be of any help?

If you have a spare amp, try the below and let me know if you like.
Split the Preamp/source out. A passive preamp like schiit sys could do. Or even a Y cable. Feed to a spare amp (a cheap class D module is also fine) and your main amp. Drive the speakers using the main amp and feed the subwoofer from the spare amp. Sorry for adding complexity to the existing chain, but if you like the sound, worth the try.
Thats a good idea but unfortunately i dont have any other amp which i could use

Is there a

Is there some way to check or fix this thing. Like putting a resistor in series, will it be of any help?
NO. Putting a resistor is a bad idea.
If the sub is off it should be open.
When sub is on, the Hi-Z will be of the order of 50-100K depending on the sub.
Thus the load seen by amp in both cases will be that of main speakers.

There must be some other way. Maybe checking the neutrik connections or something.
Sorry I'm not helping at all.

Cheers,
Raghu

NO. Putting a resistor is a bad idea.
If the sub is off it should be open.
When sub is on, the Hi-Z will be of the order of 50-100K depending on the sub.
Thus the load seen by amp in both cases will be that of main speakers.

There must be some other way. Maybe checking the neutrik connections or something.
Sorry I'm not helping at all.

Cheers,
Raghu
Raghu,
Just noticed your signature, your Parasound NC 200 Pre has a Sub out with cross over right? have you ever tried that?
Btw; I'm also running a REL parallaly with my R300; high level inputs - with great results.
I found the perfect sub blend to a stereo system will also greatly depends on the placement of the sub in the room and when you move from one place to other crossover and volume also needs to adjust.
Sometime back I moved to a different location, and found my sweet sub integration gone! I've to tweak more on the new room layout and placements..
thanks.

I use REL T9i as shown below.
Have tried HPF on either NC200Pre or NC275v2.
Also tried the sub on 80Hz port and full range port.
I could not hear any significant difference with all these expts.

Since the sub is also doing HT duty, decided to keep everything simple.
HPF is disabled on both NC200Pre and NC275v2
Low level sub connection is via full range output of NC200Pre.
High level sub connection is from AKSA55 amp (neutrik connect).

Cheers,
Raghu

Attachments

• rig.pdf
    513.3 KB · Views: 10
I'm not saying a sub woofer accompanied sound is not good, what I mean is.....you never get the alignment right, you have to always adjust the crossover for each type of music. You listen to a song, you adjust the cross over, make it sound to your preference, enjoy...next song comes...you get up again to adjust the frequency alignment for that next song to make it pleasing for your mind. Also, your mind will have that urge to adjust the crossover each time hoping to find that hidden 'perfect alignment' :D
It is not that bad. I have REL T9i, the range of XO and level is within 1-3 clicks.
So just settle on a setting that works for most genres and recordings and forget about it.
This is for hi-level. When using low level, the preamp at home has sub on/off/level control, just like tone control.
Cheers,
Raghu

Yes, I guess its each ones personal preferences. The Oberon 1's that I use are good but cannot output the right amount of bass owing to their small size for the tracks in the room. My crossover for the sub is set at 80 hz & am happy with that after fiddling around. I have never felt the need to change the crossover for tracks after that. If at all a change is required then I will go for bigger speakers.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back