Subwoofer connections to AVR

jake

Hello , I have recently bought a Yamaha SW300 sub . I was bit confused regarding the connectivity.

1. Currently I have connected the sub out from the AVR to the LFE in of sub. For 2 ch stereo the bass is not much noticeable unless I crank up the volume (bass becomes boomy). Crossover on AVR set to 80hz and front speakers set to small.
I am yet to watch a blu ray movie , I read somewhere LFE works well with movies.

2. Do I spilt the signal from the sub out of the AVR , and connect them to the LFE IN as well as the Line 1 and Line 2 of the sub . Using Line 1 and Line 2 inputs, will give me noticeable bass (punch) ?

Thanks in advance, this is the first time I am trying to set up a sub.

Hello , I have recently bought a Yamaha SW300 sub . I was bit confused regarding the connectivity.

1. Currently I have connected the sub out from the AVR to the LFE in of sub. For 2 ch stereo the bass is not much noticeable unless I crank up the volume (bass becomes boomy). Crossover on AVR set to 80hz and front speakers set to small.
I am yet to watch a blu ray movie , I read somewhere LFE works well with movies.

2. Do I spilt the signal from the sub out of the AVR , and connect them to the LFE IN as well as the Line 1 and Line 2 of the sub . Using Line 1 and Line 2 inputs, will give me noticeable bass (punch) ?

Thanks in advance, this is the first time I am trying to set up a sub.
As far as I know both cases has nothing to do with the punch. Try different positions and settings.

As far as I know both cases has nothing to do with the punch. Try different positions and settings.
Hello Love4Sound , as per the manual the cross over on the sub has no effect for LFE input (cross over setting on AVR will be used.) .
Is LFE is used for movies only ( with dedicated low freq track as in 5.1) ?

When i listen to 2 ch stereo there is very little bass . (bass is more prominent from Floor Standers )

Do i connect the sub out to the Normal mono input (5) for music ?

Hello Love4Sound , as per the manual the cross over on the sub has no effect for LFE input (cross over setting on AVR will be used.) .

When i listen to 2 ch stereo there is very little bass . (bass is more prominent from Floor Standers )

View attachment 36061

View attachment 36062

View attachment 36063
I’ll assume you are listening to music from YouTube and from phone or mp3 files. These will not have LFE recordings compared to a blu ray content which will be 7.1 with the .1 referring to LFE recording. If u feel bass is more prominent in FS try setting LFE to LFE+Mains. Play with cross overs from 80-100. The sub also has a switch in the back for movies and music. What avr you have? When u connect with lfe yes sub crossover settings won’t be in effect but from avr u can change crossovers for each speakers.

Thank you sir. My AVR is a Yamaha A810 , subwoofer is the Yamaha SW300.
I have played around with crossover on the AVR , set to 80hz.
I do not see crossover settings for each speaker except the db levels. Crossover is overall I guess , in my AVR. I can set Sub present / not present on the Speaker set up , but I haven't seen the LFE + mains. I will read the manual again, I think this feature is present in denon.

Thank you sir. My AVR is a Yamaha A810 , subwoofer is the Yamaha SW300.
I have played around with crossover on the AVR , set to 80hz.
I do not see crossover settings for each speaker except the db levels. Crossover is overall I guess , in my AVR. I can set Sub present / not present on the Speaker set up , but I haven't seen the LFE + mains. I will read the manual again, I think this feature is present in denon.
Ok in speaker settings you should have bass crossover. May be individually you can’t set but for all speakers can be adjusted. May be ur Yamaha model is old cause I have seen the lfe+main option in the latest Yamaha models.

View attachment 36061

View attachment 36062

View attachment 36063

Refer to the Owners Manual.
  • Keep Bass Management as LFE + Main
  • Play with Crossover for subwoofer from 80hz till 110hz
  • Basis manual, adjust the speakers cross over for each speaker
  • Try placing the subwoofer in different places...(Sub Woofer Crawl...see youtube videos)
  • Keep B.A.S.S switch on Music...this does not mean you will not get a good punch for movies...the sub will still output frequencies it is designed for provided signal is sent via LFE.
Share the results with us....you can also post this challenge in the Yamaha Owners Thread....there is a subwoofer one recently created.....

Please check if you have turned the high cut knob on the subwoofer to full.. This way you are basically defeating the crossover on the subwoofer ans using the AVR's internal crossover of 80hz..
yamaha-nssw300-rear.jpg

If you are referring to LFE input on the subwoofer, it will work for both movies and 2 channel stereo..

When you are playing the movie, the subwoofer receives the LFE content + bass below 80Hz from other speakers (which you have set as small) as well..

When you are playing stereo, the same LFE input on the subwoofer will receive bass below 80Hz from other speakers (which you have set as small)..

You should be using either of the inputs at a time.. Input 2 (L/R Line inputs) or Input 3 (LFE).. Not together..

Input 2 is usually used when the subwoofer is used with stereo amplifier that has one or two sub pre-outs.. Using both L/R on input 2 will result in increased bass level, which is almost same as increasing the subwoofer volume..

When playing 2 channel, keep the AVR in Stereo mode.

Please check if you have turned the high cut knob on the subwoofer to full.. This way you are basically defeating the crossover on the subwoofer ans using the AVR's internal crossover of 80hz..
Hello Sir, thank you for your inputs. High Cut as per the manual has no effects on Signals input to the LFE Terminal . I have attached an image above from the manual.
But i have tried with High Cut low, mid , full.
So i have set the AVR internal crossover to 80 Hz

If you are referring to LFE input on the subwoofer, it will work for both movies and 2 channel stereo..

When you are playing the movie, the subwoofer receives the LFE content + bass below 80Hz from other speakers (which you have set as small) as well..

When you are playing stereo, the same LFE input on the subwoofer will receive bass below 80Hz from other speakers (which you have set as small)..

Movies and Games (PS4) , i will try today with some Blu Ray and Games.
Music source was Chrome Cast (Youtube) and AVR was set to Music - 2 Channel Stereo, i felt my Floor standers had more prominent bass .

High Cut as per the manual has no effects on Signals input to the LFE Terminal . I have attached an image above from the manual. But i have tried with High Cut low, mid , full.

Then fine..

Music source was Chrome Cast (Youtube) and AVR was set to Music - 2 Channel Stereo, i felt my Floor standers had more prominent bass .

Did you complete the YPAO calibration?.. If so, it should set your speakers and sub-woofer to same volume level from your listening position..

+1 to what @elangoas said
You need to ensure four things to begin with for an initial test:
a) Set front speakers to small and set front crossover to the max possible on your AVR, 100 hz or more
b) Set subwoofer setting in AVR to LFE+Mains
c) Set subwoofer high cut knob to max
d) Make sure Sub is connected to LFE out from AVR to LFE in on sub
Last but not least, disable any direct/pure settings on your AVR , set mode to stereo

You should get a lot of bass with this.
Once you get here, start adjusting the crossover downward on your AVR to a point where the bass feels right to you

Did you complete the YPAO calibration?.. If so, it should set your speakers and sub-woofer to same volume level from your listening position..
Yes Sir , i did the YPAO Calibration , it set the Subwoofer to -10 db . I will check on this again and get back.

a) Set front speakers to small and set front crossover to the max possible on your AVR, 100 hz or more
Hello :) ... FS set to small , crossover in my AVR (Yamaha A810) cannot be set for individual speakers, applies to all. I set to 80 Hz and then 100Hz.

b) Set subwoofer setting in AVR to LFE+Mains
Did a bit of research , LFE+Mains is Extra Bass on Yamaha . Tried that yesterday. I will do the same today with other above settings.

c) Set subwoofer high cut knob to max
High Cut does not affect the LFE Signal , as per the manual. i have attached the pic of the manaul in the above post . However i tried it at high , mid ,low.

d) Make sure Sub is connected to LFE out from AVR to LFE in on sub
Connected the AVR sub out to LFE in of Subwoofer.

Last but not least, disable any direct/pure settings on your AVR , set mode to stereo

2 Ch stereo , Music mode. I did not switch on the Pure Direct.

Thank you.

Yes Sir , i did the YPAO Calibration , it set the Subwoofer to -10 db . I will check on this again and get back.

Ok. Then it is calibrated to your listening position.. Then try increasing the volume knob on the subwoofer slightly (or) you can override the subwoofer values to -9dB/-8dB/-7dB.. Wherever you feel comfortable (or) where you feel the bass is good, stop tweaking the levels..

High Cut does not affect the LFE Signal , as per the manual. i have attached the pic of the manaul in the above post . However i tried it at high , mid ,low.
No, it doesn't. The LFE crossover on the AVR determines that.
However if your AVR LFE x-over is set to say 100 while your sub is set to 60, everything between 60-100 will go nowhere as your mains will get only 100+
on the other hand, The reverse is OK because even if your sub is set to 140, and if your AVR is set to 80, the sub will handle 20-80 while your mains will handle 80+

However if your AVR LFE x-over is set to say 100 while your sub is set to 60, everything between 60-100 will go nowhere as your mains will get only 100+
on the other hand, The reverse is OK because even if your sub is set to 140, and if your AVR is set to 80, the sub will handle 20-80 while your mains will handle 80+
Thank you , I will check with this setting.

I set the high cut to max , AVR crossover to 110 Hz. Connected a PS4 to the AVR, played COD and BF4, the COD intro and game explosions shook the entire room. Had to lower the volume. :)
For music I do not get the same type of punch.
I tried LFE+Mains , which in my Yamaha receiver is Extra Bass, but this extra bass is only enabled if I set the front speakers to large.

May be I need to move the Sub woofer , somewhere closer to the listening area to get that punch for Music.

I set the high cut to max , AVR crossover to 110 Hz. Connected a PS4 to the AVR, played COD and BF4, the COD intro and game explosions shook the entire room. Had to lower the volume. :)
I tried LFE+Mains , which in my Yamaha receiver is Extra Bass, but this extra bass is only enabled if I set the front speakers to large.

May be I need to move the Sub woofer , somewhere closer to the listening area to get that punch for Music.

If budget and space permits go dual. This will improve the bass response. Bass will be more smooth and tight. Down load some 5.1 music file and see how the bass is. I have a xtz which is a midrange sub even it doesn’t give the best punch in some music files which are 2.0 files. Some 2.0 has good punch some don’t so can’t say our positioning and settings are wrong. When the problem is with the source

If budget and space permits go dual. This will improve the bass response. Bass will be more smooth and tight. Down load some 5.1 music file and see how the bass is. I have a xtz which is a midrange sub even it doesn’t give the best punch in some music files which are 2.0 files. Some 2.0 has good punch some don’t so can’t say our positioning and settings are wrong. When the problem is with the source
This is really based on the track of the audio file while i was also noticing in my Sub while playing old songs and new songs .The bass was very smooth in Music and for some songs i need to check if my Sub is ON and working .

The real difference is on the Movies where I can experience the Sub very much and the Bass is very uniform cant identify where it. is coming from FS or Sub.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back