Subwoofer connections to AVR

This is really based on the track of the audio file while i was also noticing in my Sub while playing old songs and new songs .The bass was very smooth in Music and for some songs i need to check if my Sub is ON and working .

The real difference is on the Movies where I can experience the Sub very much and the Bass is very uniform cant identify where it. is coming from FS or Sub.
for music i notice very less bass , (youtube via chromecast or PS4).
i find the bass more prominent on games and movies.

There are 2 way to get good bass from SW.
1.Keep fronts small and set crossover to 80hz
2.Yamaha avrs do have double Bass function which you can turn on.

Mp3 or some YouTube tracks may not have deep bass though.

Hello guys, I changed the subwoofer cable , and the bass is now as I expected. ;)
Got the bluerigger cable.

hi folks ... i'm looking at buying a sub and was enquiring at hifimart and anil suggested a wharfedale d10. but when i told him that i intend to use it with a marantz pm5004 integrated stereo amplifier, he said it will not be possible as this sub doesn't have a high level input and my amp doesn't have a dedicated 'sub out' port or 'line out' ports. it does have 2 'recorder out' ports. is there any way i can connect this sub to my amp or another brand/type of sub to my amp? would be very grateful for a good solution as i have only a pair of bookshelves and am sorely missing the low end.

Hello guys, I changed the subwoofer cable , and the bass is now as I expected. ;)
Got the bluerigger cable.
Hi, I am looking to buy the same Yamaha subwoofer. How is the performance after changing the cable and will you recommend this sub?

hi folks ... i'm looking at buying a sub and was enquiring at hifimart and anil suggested a wharfedale d10. but when i told him that i intend to use it with a marantz pm5004 integrated stereo amplifier, he said it will not be possible as this sub doesn't have a high level input and my amp doesn't have a dedicated 'sub out' port or 'line out' ports. it does have 2 'recorder out' ports. is there any way i can connect this sub to my amp or another brand/type of sub to my amp? would be very grateful for a good solution as i have only a pair of bookshelves and am sorely missing the low end.

There are subs which are available with High Level input connections. Since you use bookshelfs, you might be getting bass as low as 60 or 80hz......(depends on cone size of the bookshelf and specs).....

Depending on your budget, you can look at Yamaha subs or Taga models or BIC America....some of them have these high level connections...make sure to read the specs, understand the power, size etc and then take a decision.

If you want to go the pre owned route, in Mumbai itself there are some subwoofers available over OLX.....Yamaha / Definitive Technology / Jamo / Etc. which can work in your favour in terms of connectivity, powerful performance and budget.....check and decide accordingly.

There are subs which are available with High Level input connections. Since you use bookshelfs, you might be getting bass as low as 60 or 80hz......(depends on cone size of the bookshelf and specs).....

Depending on your budget, you can look at Yamaha subs or Taga models or BIC America....some of them have these high level connections...make sure to read the specs, understand the power, size etc and then take a decision.

If you want to go the pre owned route, in Mumbai itself there are some subwoofers available over OLX.....Yamaha / Definitive Technology / Jamo / Etc. which can work in your favour in terms of connectivity, powerful performance and budget.....check and decide accordingly.
Thanks ... Will do

Got the Yamaha SW-300 yesterday and tested with the recommended settings - Input to LFE terminal, Crossover on the SUB set to the max (although it has no effect as per the manual unless its connected to the Input 2 terminal) and crossover set to 90 Hz on the AVR. The bass is very low and muddy in both Music (Youtube etc) and Movies. Using the same Amazon basics cable which I was using with my old sub. My old yamaha 100W subwoofer is giving much better effects and integration with the overall sound and with the same cable and in the same position.

And my living room is much smaller than the Demo room. I was expecting much better response from the Sub. Something is wrong with the settings as it sounded much better in the Demo. Any pointers as to what could be wrong?

Got the Yamaha SW-300 yesterday and tested with the recommended settings - Input to LFE terminal, Crossover on the SUB set to the max (although it has no effect as per the manual unless its connected to the Input 2 terminal) and crossover set to 90 Hz on the AVR. The bass is very low and muddy in both Music (Youtube etc) and Movies. Using the same Amazon basics cable which I was using with my old sub. My old yamaha 100W subwoofer is giving much better effects and integration with the overall sound and with the same cable and in the same position.

Something is wrong with the settings as it sounded much better in the Demo.
Have you done the Subwoofer crawl test? A single sub demands sweet spot.

I cannot place the sub anywhere but on the right side corner but just to check I tried various positions (in front of center speaker as it was in the demo room) left corner etc but not much difference. I kept the sub in the same position and moved my ears just to check if any area has better effects but again, not much difference.

I cannot place the sub anywhere but on the right side corner but just to check I tried various positions (in front of center speaker as it was in the demo room) left corner etc but not much difference. I kept the sub in the same position and moved my ears just to check if any area has better effects but again, not much difference.
Ok at what level have you kept the volume knob in the subwoofer? Try to calibrate the sub keeping its volume to 30% and see if the muddy sound reduces. Recently one FM had similar issue and he changed his sub cable to fix his problems.

Ok at what level have you kept the volume knob in the subwoofer? Try to calibrate the sub keeping its volume to 30% and see if the muddy sound reduces. Recently one FM had similar issue and he changed his sub cable to fix his problems.

At 30% volume, its as if the Sub is off. Nothing at all. Overall there is not much output. I am ruling out cable issue bcos the same cable is giving nice output from my old 100W Sub. I think I will have to input into the Mono input and not the LFE input.

At 30% volume, its as if the Sub is off. Nothing at all. Overall there is not much output. I am ruling out cable issue bcos the same cable is giving nice output from my old 100W Sub. I think I will have to input into the Mono input and not the LFE input.
Nothing to do with LFE. All connect our subs with LFE only

Hello ,
which AVR are you using ? I was having the same problem as yours . I tried multiple settings :
Changed the crossover to 80 , 100 , 110 hz. Fixed it at at 100 Hz. Set the front speakers to small. Phase to reverse .
Changing the cables helped and the bass was more prominent. Try to get the bluerigger or mediabridge cable.
Most of the music on YouTube, mp3 etc do not have much bass, I think they are recorded for 2 channel only. I switched to movies and games on ps4, the bass was very noticeable.

Hello ,
which AVR are you using ? I was having the same problem as yours . I tried multiple settings :
Changed the crossover to 80 , 100 , 110 hz. Fixed it at at 100 Hz. Set the front speakers to small. Phase to reverse .
Changing the cables helped and the bass was more prominent. Try to get the bluerigger or mediabridge cable.
Most of the music on YouTube, mp3 etc do not have much bass, I think they are recorded for 2 channel only. I switched to movies and games on ps4, the bass was very noticeable.

Using the Yamaha RX-V475. I have ordered the Bluerigger cable and it should be arriving soon. I mainly got this for watching music videos on youtube and movies on Netflix. :(

Will connecting a Y cable (Single Pin Sub out from Amp to Dual Pin Sub in (Left and Right) improve the bass and increase the volume? Even that cable is on its way.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back