subwoofer not blending with home theater

You will have to treat each sub independently.

Sorry, no. What you hear is the interaction of the two subs. Finding the best position for each sub independently is not the right way to integrate dual subs.

OP: It's probably not the answer you want to hear but you need to really get a UMik-1 or some such so you can measure your subs' in-room response.
If you really, really don't want to (or can't) do it, please install Room EQ Wizard and run their Room Simulator. Post your questions here if you need help.

Another option is to sell the old sub and integrate the second new sub. Using both together is going to be a problem as other FMs have said.

You could also try, on the AVR,
Setting your fronts to small, not large.
Experiment with sub out set to LFE+Main, or LFE alone.
I presume you are looking for a loud output from your subs.

Try isolating them by keeping them at different locations and firing perpendicular to one another.

Sorry, no. What you hear is the interaction of the two subs. Finding the best position for each sub independently is not the right way to integrate dual subs.

Oh okay. Thanks for letting us know. However, before we start integrating, don't the 2 subs have to placed in the right spots? Just how we do a sub crawl for 1 sub, shouldn't the second one also be placed in a similar way?

MaSh

Hi...does your sub support independent sub settings or does it treat it's both sub out as 1.

How have you connected both the sub to your avr.

Also, where is the sub located in your room. I mean front or behind or side wall.

hello every one,
i m using my home theatre last 6 months basically i m beginner just yesterday i purchase another sub klipsch r-120 sw but its not blending proper. actually bass very boomy at very low level, need suggestions plese help

my room is 365sq feet
my home theatre spec
AVR- Yamaha RXv-585
with taga harmony 501 v.2 (5.1 speakers)
sub- tsw 90 v.3 (90 watt rms)
new sub klipsch r-120sw(200 watt rms)
crossover set to 80hz

sub crossover set to 160hz
any other details required pls ask

Distance setting is vital in AVR, make sure to fiddle with it, the distance setting to be set for the subwoofer is usually a bit more than the actual distance to subwoofer because of the additional amplification and processing that a subwoofer amp does, so it needs to be fed the signal according to that, if the subwoofer is not firing at the right time, it's redundant to even try phase or crossover changes.

For example if fronts and centre speakers are 7 feet from primary listening position and subwoofer is say 9 feet start with 7 feet (phase 0, crossover as per taste) and start increasing the distance till you find the loudest bass. Incase of multiple subs, if u have a 7.2 amp, set the distance one by one, if its a single pre out avr, try finding the difference in their timings and then place them physically according to the difference in that, it works... I have integrated no less than 4 subs right now, earlier I used the above technique but lost optimum placement, so now i use minidsp HD to set individual time delays.

Alternatively first you can just find the best position for subwoofer for your listening position by just running the subwoofer individually without any other speakers and then you can find the optimum distance it needs to be set at to get the best LFE/bass which is integrated and full.
All the best.

OP: It's probably not the answer you want to hear but you need to really get a UMik-1 or some such so you can measure your subs' in-room response.
If you really, really don't want to (or can't) do it, please install Room EQ Wizard and run their Room Simulator. Post your questions here if you need help.
thanks for suggesting

80hz crossover is too high in my opinion when using floorstanders that go down to 35hz. You may want to try lowering the subwoofer crossover to 40hz or below. on both. If the older sub does not go that low, turn it into a coffee table or sell it in the used market. Dual subs are not easy to integrate especially if they are not identical.

However, before we start integrating, don't the 2 subs have to placed in the right spots?

They should. However, the right spots for the 2 subs is entirely a function of how they combine together as measured at the LP/listening area.

Just how we do a sub crawl for 1 sub, shouldn't the second one also be placed in a similar way?

No, because optimizing 2 subs independently is no guarantee whatsoever that they'll also combine optimally when placed at those 2 positions.

They should. However, the right spots for the 2 subs is entirely a function of how they combine together as measured at the LP/listening area.

No, because optimizing 2 subs independently is no guarantee whatsoever that they'll also combine optimally when placed at those 2 positions.
Well I think you are going wrong slightly. In my opinion, the two subs need to be first located independently at the right spot first. If not, then no matter what the sub in wrong spot will sound bad. Once the subs are placed in the right spots they need to be checked for phase and time aligned. Only then will they work well in unison.

MaSh

This statement is 100% correct.

80hz is the right crossover point even though you have floor standers because you don't want to strain your AVR by demanding it to play frequencies down to 40hz.

80hz is the right crossover point even though you have floor standers because you don't want to strain your AVR by demanding it to play frequencies down to 40hz.
Wrong, If you can hear lower mids coming from the subwoofer, which does happen at 80hz, hence it sounds all over the place. 80hx to 120 hz is generally adjusted if you have satellites, If the AVR is getting strained then it's a different discussion.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Research and empirical evidence about a complicated subject such as optimizing multiple subs don't agree with your suggested approach though.

Sure, could you post a link that explains the process clearly? I would love to be corrected. It would also help the OP integrate his 2 different subs.

MaSh

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back