Why Is My Subwoofer Not Hitting Hard - PB1000Pro

When l heard 4 svs Sub's PB/SB ,I did feel that they are going deep than giving punch. If there are DSPs, then try changing it.

Here is the result after I did audyssey

You can pretty much ignore the Audyssey after (it's a prediction, not an actual measurement). The before Audyssey FR shows you have some pretty significant nulls (100 Hz and below).

You have 3 options:

1. Move your subwoofer to another location where you get a better response (trial and error)

2. If (1) isn't possible or doesn't help, move your listening position to 2/3rds of your room length.

3. If (1)/(2) isn't possible or doesn't help, consider getting an additional sub.

The integration of your center with the sub may also be an issue, but the first step here should be to make the sub's response at your listening position better.

Do the sub woofer crawl - most of the time the issue is of placement and not the specs.
I moved the sub to another location, left side of my couch against the wall, which is a primary listening area. And there is a night and day difference now.
The difference has amazed me, though we sill have multiple listening position in our living room where the impact is inadequate, thus I am planning to add another sub and place that in opposite diagonal to increase the impact.

IMG_0968 Medium.jpeg

I moved the sub to another location, left side of my couch against the wall, which is a primary listening area. And there is a night and day difference now.
The difference has amazed me, though we sill have multiple listening position in our living room where the impact is inadequate, thus I am planning to add another sub and place that in opposite diagonal to increase the impact.

View attachment 73295

Glad this worked out. Are you still looking for SVS contact in Delhi?

Thanks bro, I did some measurements and corrected the levels and distance using audyssey. Tried different placements, but same result.

Please check the setup and sub placement

View attachment 73231
What measurements? Rew?

View attachment 73295
If you have the flexibility to go duals don't have any second thoughts.

What measurements? Rew?

If you have the flexibility to go duals don't have any second thoughts.

I haven't done with REW, bro but I would definitely do it and update the result here.
And yea, I have already made my mind to add another sub, Ordered another pb1000 pro today, which I am gonna place in front area.

Glad this worked out. Are you still looking for SVS contact in Delhi?
No buddy, I am quite satisfied and amazed with the result, even after innumerable efforts, calibration I failed to achieve the kind of result I had expected from my sub which easily got resolved just by changing its location.
I am certainly confident that by adding another sub will take the whole experience to the next level. I am kinda bass lover.

No buddy, I am quite satisfied and amazed with the result, even after innumerable efforts, calibration I failed to achieve the kind of result I had expected from my sub which easily got resolved just by changing its location.
I am certainly confident that by adding another sub will take the whole experience to the next level. I am kinda bass lover.
Glad to know the sub-woofer crawl placement has worked to some extend...get a sealed one SB1000 since you already have a ported one. You will enjoy good bass then.

Glad to know the sub-woofer crawl placement has worked to some extend...get a sealed one SB1000 since you already have a ported one. You will enjoy good bass then.
Right, and thanks for the suggestions. But as far as I know mixing ported and sealed subwoofers in the same system would not be ideal. They will have very different phase responses (particularly near port tuning), and this can create partial cancellation at certain frequencies. So I think for me it’s best to use the same model subwoofer for multiple subwoofer application.

I haven't done with REW, bro but I would definitely do it and update the result here.
And yea, I have already made my mind to add another sub, Ordered another pb1000 pro today, which I am gonna place in front area.
Awesome. Go with mini dsp. It makes dual sub calibrations easy and gives much better results.

The difference has amazed me,
Hey, bro, glad your issue got fixed.
Great it is working for you.
What you have done now is what Atas @prateekatasniya would call near-field. I think you have nailed it.
though we sill have multiple listening position in our living room where the impact is inadequate,
But since you also say this, ask yourself:
1. How often do others watch movies in this room?
2. Where do they sit? (If only one person sits next to you, put the sub in the middle - meaning, to the right of the seat instead of the left, as it is now).

thus I am planning to add another sub and place that in opposite diagonal to increase the impact.
3. Do you really have the bandwidth to sit and work on two subs?
4. Please read up on the difficulties of bass management in small rooms.
5. THINK REALLY, REALLY HARD BEFORE YOU INVEST IN A SECOND SUB OR MORE.
6. Read up on what all you need to do to manage duals/multis.

Only when you have understood everything, go ahead.
By saying this, please let it be clear I mean no disrespect to proponents of dual/multi subs.
They do work.

But please do consider if it is for you.
Regards and wishing you the best.
K

Right, and thanks for the suggestions. But as far as I know mixing ported and sealed subwoofers in the same system would not be ideal. They will have very different phase responses (particularly near port tuning), and this can create partial cancellation at certain frequencies. So I think for me it’s best to use the same model subwoofer for multiple subwoofer application.

While it is true that it would cancel at certain frequencies, based on my experience as a former DJ, ported or sealed works well and will give you the best of bass (rumble & hard kicks) if placed properly and used at reasonable volume levels. This is my 2 cents.

Same model subwoofer will give you same frequencies and add up to the volume of bass delivery.

Before purchasing, if the current quality and delivery of bass is fine, why dont you increase the subwoofer volume slightly and see if it fulfills your bass requirements and possibly save that extra cash?
Else another option if there are space constraints and you can only use a single sub, go in for a higher model. (2000 or 3000 series) which will deliver more output or alternative brand.

Thanks bro, I did some measurements and corrected the levels and distance using audyssey. Tried different placements, but same result.

Please check the setup and sub placement

View attachment 73231

I'm no rocket scientist, but a sub on a carpeted floor is never going to "hit hard" as the carpet will also act as a shock absorber. Not saying you can't get good bass response but carpeted vs. non-carpeted will be night and day, where the non-carpeted floor will sound much harder.

Additionally, where you have it by you bed, will also dampen sounds. You might try placing it opposite your bed and closer to the wall.

As for 'measurements" and all that jazz, where has it gotten you?

I will try to reposition my sub today, and see if it makes any difference.

Here is the result after I did audyssey

View attachment 73234
you have some nasty dips or what we call room modes, also you must be sitting in a NULL....Your graph shows you are missing 60,80,100 hz, which describes most of the slam and kick you are referring to. Change sub placement and run a 20-250 hz sweep and measure with spectroid mobile app to figure out which position has the flattest response

I have the same PB1000 PRO in my setup and I have to keep the sub dialed down to -20db, sometimes increase it to -17 if I want to shake my room. After getting the sub I will now have to change my windows as they are shaking badly.
Here's my audessey correction results, as we see, I have a dip at 80 hz, but since all my speakers are crossed at 80 hz, that dip is compensated by the speakers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215_151515.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_151515.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 32
Hello Guys,

I am pretty happy with the setup I have but I feel that the bass I am getting from my SVS PB 1000 Pro is not adequate. It's hard for me to describe but it feels so low, since most of you here are home theatre enthusiastic so you’ll get it.
That punch or thump on my subwoofer is missing, like when watching any fighting sequence, I don't feel that tight hit sound we usually get in the theatres. Another example is the same tight sound produced by a bass drum kick. My ears are expecting the perfect punchy and powerful bass that you get from an ideal subwoofer like PB1000.

I have seen many of you had previously mentioned on a different thread about how powerful PB1000Pro is, many have set the sublevel to -11db yet sub has its adequate impacts. I have kept it in -4db on avr and bass is almost non-existence. On SVS App its -10db.

My sub is set on LFE with a Crossover frequency 120Hz. And mains are set to 80Hz, surround and atmos speakers are set on 100Hz.
What can be done to fix this?

AVR - Denon X3700H
Front Speakers - Dali Oberon 3 Bookshelves.
Center - Oberon Vokal
Hi how are you? A couple of suggestions. First check the phase of the subwoofer. Have you set it to 0 degrees, 180 degrees? It could be your sub is out of phase with your mains. Whatever it is set to now try inverting it. So if it is 0 degrees try 180 degrees and if it is 180 degrees try 0 degrees.

I have attached a couple of screen shots. The first shows your room as best as we could emulate it with approximate measurements and speaker placements. Based on the current subwoofer position looks like you are losing almost 25db of gain closer to 80 hz.

I have attached a second room sim image and if you see the response is much smoother with the sub in exactly the same position. I inverted the phase in this simulation and added some absorption to the front and back walls. The best thing you can do to achieve this is add bass traps to all four corners. I understand this is a living room and aesthetically it may not be the best option but looks like you have some modal ringing issues and a null in your response probably due to the room mode at 80 hz.

Purchasing a basic calibration microphone and taking measurements of your room would really be able to help you identify the issues perfectly as one of the members mentioned in the previous post. Also instead of audyssey try and measure the distances from your speakers to your listening position manually with a tape measure and put those distances into the AVR for all speakers except for the subwoofer. Also even if you don't have a measurement microphone you can download an spl meter app on any smart phone or tablet and level match all your speakers and subwoofers to the same gain. Set your AVR volume to 75 db and play a test tone through the avr for each individual speaker. Hold the smart phone or tablet at the listening position roughly where your ears would be and ensure all speakers are playing at the same volume. Adjust the gains accordingly. Subwoofer gain can be matched to 10 db higher then your remaining speakers.

Thanks and I hope that helps you get better performance out of your sub.

Attachments

• Room Sim no adjustments.png
    Room Sim no adjustments.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Room sim with phase inverted and more absorption for front and rear walls.png
    Room sim with phase inverted and more absorption for front and rear walls.png
    257.4 KB · Views: 16
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back