Subwoofer Recommendations 50k Budget

shrayv

I'm on the lookout to add a subwoofer to my HT setup (although pretty incomplete). I'm currently running some random brand front tower speakers along with 15 year old Yamaha RXV520 receiver. The receiver is due for an upgrade sometime in the future. My room dimensions are 12'x14' and the subwoofer might have to be about 15" wide if it has be placed next to my left speaker

After spending sometime reading through the forum and a few online retailers, I have shortlisted the following:
  1. Yamaha NS-SW300
  2. BIC F12
  3. BIC PL200 ii
  4. Q-Acoustic QB12
  5. Sunfire SDS-8
  6. XTZ 8.17
One retailer where I demoed a pair of Eltax sub (8" I guess) recommended to go in for two subwoofers for better bass. I'm not sure if any of these subs can be demoed in Chennai.
  • Does a dual sub combo makes sense? There may be some limitations in terms of the placement
  • Are there any subs apart from the above I should be considering
Appreciate your help! Stay Safe!

I'm on the lookout to add a subwoofer to my HT setup (although pretty incomplete). I'm currently running some random brand front tower speakers along with 15 year old Yamaha RXV520 receiver. The receiver is due for an upgrade sometime in the future. My room dimensions are 12'x14' and the subwoofer might have to be about 15" wide if it has be placed next to my left speaker

After spending sometime reading through the forum and a few online retailers, I have shortlisted the following:
  1. Yamaha NS-SW300
  2. BIC F12
  3. BIC PL200 ii
  4. Q-Acoustic QB12
  5. Sunfire SDS-8
  6. XTZ 8.17
One retailer where I demoed a pair of Eltax sub (8" I guess) recommended to go in for two subwoofers for better bass. I'm not sure if any of these subs can be demoed in Chennai.
  • Does a dual sub combo makes sense? There may be some limitations in terms of the placement
Are u interested in used? 10.17 much better then 8.17 and also easily beats all the sub you have listed. I am selling my 10.17 which is in showroom condition and best part I am also in Chennai so you can check and grab it if interested

I think you can go for 10" or 12" Sub as you are running Tower speakers && considering your room size. If it's bookshelf speakers , 8" sub will do pretty good.

My choice of preference will be
1. VeloDyne
2. Sunfire
3. BIC F12
4. XTZ
5. Q-Acoustic [For Music ,works very good]

I'm not sure if any of these subs can be demoed in Chennai.
I remember Q-Acoustic Subs were available in some chennai dealer. Could not recollect, I think there's one Audio show room in GN chetty road , i remember i demoed there.

I think you can go for 10" or 12" Sub as you are running Tower speakers && considering your room size. If it's bookshelf speakers , 8" sub will do pretty good.

My choice of preference will be
1. VeloDyne
2. Sunfire
3. BIC F12
4. XTZ
5. Q-Acoustic [For Music ,works very good]

I remember Q-Acoustic Subs were available in some chennai dealer. Could not recollect, I think there's one Audio show room in GN chetty road , i remember i demoed there.

I found the Velodyne Impact 12 mk ii retailing for 55k and a used SVS SB1000 for around 40k (front grill torn)

Should I also be considering these?

Thanks

I found the Velodyne Impact 12 mk ii retailing for 55k and a used SVS SB1000 for around 40k (front grill torn)

Thanks
Yes.. they are good Sub woofers. If you get a chance to audition them .. you may do it and decide yourself.
Just for deciding factor : you can also check for their lowest Frequency response + highest RMS power rating and choose the best one.

Also look for ported : if you like big boom sound
Sealed: Tight bass

Thanks
Xtz 10 is a ported sub,svs sb1k is a sealed sub and doesnt go as low and louder as ported sub

I have both BIC PL 200 ii and Polk HTS12. I wouldn't recommend BIC subs. They are powerful but have terrible build quality. I bought two BIC subs, both have terrible port noise and one of them failed within 6 months. I couldn't even get it fixed as I have to send the Amp module to Mumbai, but couldn't do so due to Covid restrictions. Also they don't play low down the frequency.

I would instead suggest Polk HTS12. I am quite happy with it for both Music and Movies though it doesn't have the brute power of BIC subs. But it sounds more nuanced and plays quite low. It looks nice and well built too. It's actually quite good for music. I bought it for around Rs.30k two years back but price seem to have increased by almost 50% now. It may still be worth the price. Try to source it directly from one of the ProFx stores. Online prices are high including those from ProFx.

The other option I would recommend purely based on reviews is Yamaha NS-SW300. It seems like a good unit for the price. I am considering one for myself to replace my failed BIC unit.

Last edited:

1. Yamaha NS-SW300
  2. BIC F12
  3. BIC PL200 ii
  4. Q-Acoustic QB12
  5. Sunfire SDS-8
  6. XTZ 8.17
Elac sub 3010
Has auto EQ feature which is kind of mandatory to avoid boomy bass

I have both BIC PL 200 ii and Polk HTS12. I wouldn't recommend BIC subs. They are powerful but have terrible build quality. I bought two BIC subs, both have terrible port noise and one of them failed within 6 months. I couldn't even get it fixed as I have to send the Amp module to Mumbai, but couldn't do so due to Covid restrictions. Also they don't play low down the frequency.

I would instead suggest Polk HTS12. I am quite happy with it for both Music and Movies though it doesn't have the brute power of BIC subs. But it sounds more nuanced and plays quite low. It looks nice and well built too. It's actually quite good for music. I bought it for around Rs.30k two years back but price seem to have increased by almost 50% now. It may still be worth the price. Try to source it directly from one of the ProFx stores. Online prices are high including those from ProFx.

The other option I would recommend purely based on reviews is Yamaha NS-SW300. It seems like a good unit for the price. I am considering one for myself to replace my failed BIC unit.
The Yamma is a very good sub if the budget is tight but there are better subs that are now available at the 50K price point. I found the Q Acoustics QB12 to be rather good. For peak SPL, SVS and XTZ are good options. I audutioned the entire XTZ line up a few months back (including the 1x12 which i'm surprised aren't within the radar of any FMs) and found the comparable SVSs were superior for outright slam whereas the XTZs sounded deeper.

KEF KUBE 2 is also a very good sub in similar budget. Its amazing performing considering its small size. I have not heard XTZ but Sunfire I have read to be a great sub. I have Polk DSW 660 and it is also great for movies, can be wirelessly placed considering an optional receiver.

@shrayv --> My Suggestion would be the following.

1. If XTZ 10.17 from the Guy who has offered you is coming within your budget then definitely go for the kill. You won't regret. Why I am saying this is because I have demoed all versions of XTZ subs and I found them to be balanced for both Movies and Music. Though not as good in music as other subs like REL or Rythmik etc..
2. You have another decent option from SVS subwoofer makers... Their PB1000 is a very good sub. Please don't go for SB series for the small sub.
3. You can get Polk Audio DSW Pro 660, Another very good sub though it doesn't dig deep enough in movies. You can get this for 40-41K
4. Strictly from the list that you have mentioned, Then BIC America PL 200 ii is the best vfm.

If you can tell us your Final Fixed budget without any stretch then will definitely suggest you the better one.
Cheers :)

@shrayv --> My Suggestion would be the following.

1. If XTZ 10.17 from the Guy who has offered you is coming within your budget then definitely go for the kill. You won't regret. Why I am saying this is because I have demoed all versions of XTZ subs and I found them to be balanced for both Movies and Music. Though not as good in music as other subs like REL or Rythmik etc..
2. You have another decent option from SVS subwoofer makers... Their PB1000 is a very good sub. Please don't go for SB series for the small sub.
3. You can get Polk Audio DSW Pro 660, Another very good sub though it doesn't dig deep enough in movies. You can get this for 40-41K
4. Strictly from the list that you have mentioned, Then BIC America PL 200 ii is the best vfm.

If you can tell us your Final Fixed budget without any stretch then will definitely suggest you the better one.
Cheers :)

Thanks for your inputs. I demoed @Love4sound's XTZ 10.17 on Saturday. It was an all XTZ setup and the sub blended in very well. I also demoed the Q-Acoustics QB12, but could not do a A/B test as these were in different rooms. I have arranged for a home demo of both the subwoofers and will take a decision.

Cheers!

Thanks for your inputs. I demoed @Love4sound's XTZ 10.17 on Saturday. It was an all XTZ setup and the sub blended in very well. I also demoed the Q-Acoustics QB12, but could not do a A/B test as these were in different rooms. I have arranged for a home demo of both the subwoofers and will take a decision.

Cheers!
what was your experience like and thoughts on the QB12?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back