Subwoofer usage for stereo or movies selectively

Nitin K

Hi FM's,

I had a hypothetical question. Suppose you have an integrated amp and an avr in the same rig where you want to use the IA purely for stereo listening with the sub. Whereas for movies the same sub would be used with the avr with the IA powering the fronts via preout.
Is this is possible without interchanging the .1 rca cable everytime between both depending on the usage ? Can you'll pls let me know if this is possible without having 2 setups and 2 subs. The setup would be a 5.1

This thought came to my mind since new avr's keep on coming with new formats and advancements frequently. Whereas one can stick to your favourite IA for years to come with the same sound signature and invest in a mid level avr of any reputable brand when the time is right. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
@Nitin K
There are multiple ways to get this working
The easiest one is to get a sub like REL (or similar) that supports Hi-level from IA speaker terminals and a separate LFE input that may be used simultaneously.
The other way is to have an IA/separates with HT bypass, but this is a bit more expensive.
Cheers,
Raghu

@Nitin K
There are multiple ways to get this working
The easiest one is to get a sub like REL (or similar) that supports Hi-level from IA speaker terminals and a separate LFE input that may be used simultaneously.
The other way is to have an IA/separates with HT bypass, but this is a bit more expensive.
Cheers,
Raghu
Hi Raghu,

Thanks for the quick response. But the Rel HT 1508 in my gear does not have high level connections. Just .1 life and XLR which the avr, Marantz SR 7011 does not have.
Also assuming if both types of connections are there on the sub, how will it automatically toggle between stereo listening and movies?

Regards.

Ah. The T/i series have this. Wonder why they skipped this on HT.
If using simple RCA, have you considered a passive switch, 2 to 1?
Very easy to build or have someone build it for you.

Cheers,
Raghu

Ah. The T/i series have this. Wonder why they skipped this on HT.
If using simple RCA, have you considered a passive switch, 2 to 1?
Very easy to build or have someone build it for you.

Cheers,
Raghu
I don't have any idea about the passive switch and don't have diy skills. But thanks again , will look into it or get the switch made when the time comes.
Rel did not provide high level connections in the HT series as it was being used primarily for movies . Though very happy the way it sounds for music too. Also costs can be cut down further by not having them included here.

Last edited:
Hi Nitin,

You will need an integrated amp like the Marantz PM8006 which has both HT bypass and pre-out. You would further need a RCA toggle switch like the one below:

https://www.ubuy.co.in/product/DKC1...KqSYHav2t5mnaz3AL5s7FPKRAyc2lojhoCjWcQAvD_BwE

The pre-out from the IA and the subwoofer out from the AVR would be connected to the inputs of the RCA toggle switch with the output of the switch going to the subwoofer.

In HT mode, the RCA switcher would be selected to the AVR sub output and the IA would be used as a power amp via HT Bypass.

For two channel, the RCA switcher would be selected to the IA pre-out output. The AVR would be off.

Hi FM's,

I had a hypothetical question. Suppose you have an integrated amp and an avr in the same rig where you want to use the IA purely for stereo listening with the sub. Whereas for movies the same sub would be used with the avr with the IA powering the fronts via preout.
Is this is possible without interchanging the .1 rca cable everytime between both depending on the usage ? Can you'll pls let me know if this is possible without having 2 setups and 2 subs. The setup would be a 5.1

This thought came to my mind since new avr's keep on coming with new formats and advancements frequently. Whereas one can stick to your favourite IA for years to come with the same sound signature and invest in a mid level avr of any reputable brand when the time is right. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nitin
Yes. Its rather simple actually. Get an RCA wire and connect it from the preout of your AVR to the IA and be done with it.

I have done the same thing for my rig. My PC and streamer are directly connected to my IA as well as AVR. If I'm listening to surround tracks on my PC, i simply select "marantz AVR" on the right menu on the windows taskbar instead of whichever DAC is connected to the USB out of my PC. When it comes to a source such as streamer or any other device, simply select the relevant "line in" on your IA.

Thanks a lot Raghu, Ssf and DB1989. The Rca switch pretty much sorts it then. Only assuming that there is no signal loss with the switch added in between.

Thanks a lot Raghu, Ssf and DB1989. The Rca switch pretty much sorts it then. Only assuming that there is no signal loss with the switch added in between.
Why not connect your IA and AVR directly to your source if you're worried about it?

Since all cable manufacturers make a big deal about connectors and cables, you'd want to introduce as few things in the chain as possible.

Why not connect your IA and AVR directly to your source?
But then how does the sub get connected to both the IA and avr ? I guess the Rca switch as suggested by Ssf and Raghu would be required to toggle between them.

But then how does the sub get connected to both the IA and avr ? I guess the Rca switch as suggested by Ssf and Raghu would be required to toggle between them.
With great respect to other FMs, NO.

Connect the "LFE in" of the REL to the AVR's sub out and "low level in" of the sub to the IA's sub out.

I had the REL T9i connected to my system in this manner for the first few days before connecting it through the "high level" connection. Tried and tested formula.

I used Schiit SYS for a while to share front speakers between Marantz PM7001 (IA) and Marantz NR1605 (AVR).
The power amps were Outlaw monoblocks. Both IA and AVR had L/R preouts. No audible difference in SQ (with or without switch).

BTW, if you don't mind sharing on forum, what are your components?
AVR, IA, Sub? It would help FMs get some bright ideas :)

Cheers,
Raghu

I think what @DB1989 mentioned above makes sense. Only thing here is, your AVR will have to be on even if you are using just your IA. All your need to buy is a RCA splitter from sub out of your IA to any analoge line-in of your AVR. your Sub will remain on LFE connected to the LFE out of your AVR. You have to select the analog source on your AVR when your IA is in use.

I think what @DB1989 mentioned above makes sense. Only thing here is, your AVR will have to be on even if you are using just your IA. All your need to buy is a RCA splitter from sub out of your IA to any analoge line-in of your AVR. your Sub will remain on LFE connected to the LFE out of your AVR. You have to select the analog source on your AVR when your IA is in use.
Again, with great respect, no. :)

I'm using my IA connected to my PC right now and my AVR is not on. If i want to watch movies, i switch on the AVR via remote.

ok perhaps I misunderstood what you meant, but what I mentioned can also be a solution I suppose?.
A bit too tedious to my mind. I like to keep things as simple as possible. :)

My method does not involve an RCA splitter.

@Nitin K 's Sub is a REL HT1508 and it has two inputs i.e. a low level input and an LFE input.

Let's use a PC as an exemplar for the connectivity bit:

To use AVR (for watching movies and the like) = PC>HDMI>AVR>IA

While using the abovesaid method, connect the front pre outs of the AVR to the IA and the sub out/.1 of the AVR to the "LFE in" of the subwoofer. Set the low pass filter for the front channels as per your preference (in my REL T9i, i have it at full pass through i.e. full frequency range - it receives bass from LFE of the AVR as well as front channels of the IA simultaneously)

To use IA (for listening to movies and the like) = PC>usb cable>DAC>IA.

In this method which completely by passes the AVR, you will still have the sub connected to your IA through the "low level in" of your HT1508.

Both devices can be connected simultaneously in the abovesaid manner and the only switching required will be on the windows taskbar menu (pop up menu for sound options) and IA line level in which can be changed through the IA's own remote.

A bit too tedious to my mind. I like to keep things as simple as possible. :)
Why tedious? It's just 1 cable set and forget. Just a button press on the AVR remote is needed to toggle.
Both devices can be connected simultaneously in the abovesaid manner and the only switching required will be on the windows taskbar menu (pop up menu for sound options) and IA line level in which can be changed through the IA's own remote.
This, IMO, is much more tedious and OP may not even have a PC in his AV rig, also it relies on having a DAC too, OP may or may not have one.

Also, this would not for two reasons/scenarios:

1. If you are using the AVR, you will be missing the LFE soundtrack completely (its a separate channel from the bass contained in the front channels while playing a surround track).
2. You will be consuming plenty of electricity by keeping the AVR on at all times
3. If you have all your video sources such as a PC/laptop connected to the AVR>>TV but want to use an external DAC for music through the IA, selecting the Analogue source will result in AVR switching moving away from the video source i.e. the PC. However, some newer AVRs have the option of outputting video from one source and audio from another so it depends on @Nitin K 's AVR.

If you can do some DIY, there are plenty of low pass filters on amazon.com. These filters need to be fed low level input and will have a subwoofer out.

There are readymade products too. This one takes RCA inputs and gives high frequency output for the IA and low frequency subwoofer out to the subwoofer.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back