Suggest a mobile phone in Rs.16-20 k price range

AMITNOIDA

Hi
I want a mobile in the price range of Rs. 16-20 k. I would like Android OS and preferably Nokia (as I have so far used Nokia phones only). The battery should be good and provide decent to very good usage time after each recharge.

I don't have much idea about 3G , but if it is really good then I would like to have 3G compatibility.

Camera is not a criteria for me, but the sound should be decent. :)

If the battery is not let down, I may also select a non-Nokia phone.

You may please suggest 3-4 best models in the above price range under the following two categories:
a) Amoled touch screen phone and
b) Phone with QWERTY key pad.

If you want a smartphone, stay away from Nokia. They jumped on to the "smartphone" segment too late and are miles behind their competitors.

If you are not fussed about Android. For 14k, I can recommend the Blackberry Pearl. I am using one for around 6 months and am happy with it.

For Qwerty keyboards, the options can be Blackberry Curve 9310 or Nokia E7.

I dont think Nokia has android phones, but I may be wrong.

Blackberry's are gr8 as a smartphone but I will rate them way below on the phone functions (I moved to Blackberry a couple of yrs back from Nokia).

Amit ji, Nokia does not have Android smart phones and I dont think they will anytime soon as they have announced they will be rolling out Windows phone 7 based devised in collaboration with Microsoft. As of now, they have only Symbian based smart phones. Of that you could try the C7, its a decent phone. Else you could wait till they release a Windows phone.
Coming to Android phones from other manufacturers, you could look at the Samsung Galaxy Ace, Samsung Galaxy i9003, LG Optimus One, HTC Desire etc. But please do keep in mind that most of these touchscreen phones have poor battery life. Ofcourse, custom roms and such do help in extracting better battery life.

Re: Suggest a mobile phone in Rs.20-26k price range

I have increased my budget to 20-26k. After few days' survey I have listed few phones:

1) Nokia N8
2) Sony Experia X10 (Rs. 24.5 k)
3) Samsung Galaxy S i19000 (Rs. 24.5 k)
4) HTC Incredible S (Rs.26.5 k)
5) HTC HD2 (Rs. 25.8 k)

My importance and priorities are
- Touchscreen phone
- Better and vivid screen display
- Decent sound (both headphone as well as loudspeaker) with 3.5 mm port and FM play
- HD Video play capability with 16-32 GB storage
- Good battery and standby time
- Camera is not that important to me
- Internet surfing

You may suggest any other model satisfying the above need and price range. Currently using Nokia N79 and happy with battery.

Need your feedback quickly as I have to finalise and purchase before 31 Mar'11.

Hi,

If your budget is now around 25k, you could conceivably consider 2 more HTC phones the desire HD and the desire z

I personally (between the wife and me) own both the hd2 and the desire hd so am giving a comparo.

Between them both
better Screen - HTC desire hd by far
better camera - desire hd (by a narrower margin)
gaming - i guess desire hd will be better (newer gpu)
better GPs = htc hd2 by far, one of the best in-phone gps implementations i have seen (and I have owned 7 gps phones)
flashability hackability - hd2 again (do you know that you can run wm6.5, wp7, android and windows 98 on the phone)
simplicity in use - htc hd2 (i bought the desire hd for my wife but it was too irritatingly complex for her to use)
social integration - htc desire hd

the versatility of the hd2 has kept the prices of the phone up despite newer competition. but you can get one second hand cheaper ( I did, from this forum.. best 2nd hand purchase i ever made)

if you are the adventurous type i would recommend the hd2 as a no brainer... i am plotting to get mine back from the wife

(less adventurous.. consider the new windows phone 7s as well, they seem really refreshingly different)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@amit,

Firstly stay away from N8 , remove it from the list :D .

Secondly from all your needs HTC HD2 seems to fit the bill ,also samsung galaxy S II and Iphone 4(Foreign buy only) .

Kittu

HTC HD2 was launched in Oct' 2009 and now its March 2011. And one year is too long a period in today's tech world.
Hence, I would suggest to consider Incredible-S over HD2. Incredible-S has a front camera, is capable of 720p video recording, has Android 2.2 vs the discontinued WinMo 6.5 platform.
I have used WinMo6.5 and it suffers from the usual windows issue of leaky memory management, where the phone needs to be rebooted atleast once a day.
Now, I am using HTC Incredible (CDMA) with Android 2.2 and I am must say, Android with HTC Sense is much better than WinMo.

Hi Amit,

So finally which mobile you have choose?
I have same requirement as yours and following this thread instead of asking same question on the forum.
I need a android phone with good battery life and minimum 16-32 GB internal memory in the range of Rs 20-25K.

hi,

samsung galaxy s or s2 may be the right choice. I am also in the process of upgrading my mobile phone. After a lot of research and reference, I narrowed down to the above-cited mobile phone. The price is 20+. S2 is around 28k.

Hence I may go for samsung galxy S. Is it a right choice. Your views pl.

I have been informed that in June better models will be rolled out. Is it advisable to wait till June?

cheers,

Galaxy s is good ..... best if you feel you should carry a better mobile a style statement.
i use it everyday for news , chat, shares,PTT,GPS and movies on the go but size is the catch
i wanted to keep my cell in pocket .. this one a difficult to pocket .
Others
Some things i want to share [these are not defects ,i think iphone also has same behaviour]..
Battery -- will drain in one day if u call 60Min + keep GPRS /3g active
pocketUSB charger is the solution
Charging -- takes 1.5- 2hour to charge ,i miss sony 810 that used to get charged in 10mins
Custom ROM -- if you can flash it with better optimized ROMs from xda dev site
cell will become faster and will give better battery time , i have to try
Display -- An awesome Gorilla glass display , resists scratches and AMOLED
appears better than ipod touch
Pouch etc - - if you are getting this from US , get case accessories too from there
locally available cases are soso as this is bigger size

Samsung Galaxy S is a great phone. Nothing on earth as of now can beat Super Amoled screen except Super Amoled plus. But Super Amoled plus is coming just with Galaxy S2 which is not launched in India yet. The only small difference is, you cannot even see the tiny pixels in Super Amoled plus. The colour and brightness is same.

Galaxy S has 1ghz humming bird processor which is better than other 1ghz snapdragon processors. Its has 1GB RAM and 2GB ROM and you are left with 13GB user memory which is good enough. It records 720p video @30fps and this is actual 30fps. Not like the HTCs. Why Super Amoled is better screen because it consumes less battery so if you will go for any other phone, it will be with LCD which will drain your battery in 7-8 hours.
Another good reason is, with HTCs and other phones you have to keep brightness full in sun light and half in indoors but in Super Amoled, it will be 0% in indoors and 50% in sunlight. As a result, battery backup.Once you will use Super Amoled, you will never turn to LCDs.

The only poor thing with this phone is GPS. But that can be fixed after installing GPS fix from XDA. The phone is really light weight not like bulky HTCs. But it takes some time to get used to of 4" screen. Initially it will look really big.

Overall the phone is lag free and works like charm. Earlier i had Nokia e72 but I hate typing on qwerty buttons. Touch is far better. About Nokia battery backup, it is good if you are buying a simple phone under 5k. If you are buying a smart phone, they all need charging at the end of the day.

I like the snapiness of this phone. Blackberry is good but poor battery backup. Samsung has stopped the production of Galaxy S cuz they launching Galaxy S2. And its not available in market since 2 months. So double check if you are buyin Galaxy S.

There is another sibling of this phone, Galaxy SL. Which is with S-LCD and 4GB memory. Dont know much about it but it is of 18k.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ok .. such tech jargon made me excited too, but the inherent limitations makes the cell features of limited use
camera -- "ONLY" in daylight will give ok pics , video rec is very good but need daylight
inside room videos look crap
keyboard -- with practice u can type fast , but as screen consumes more battery (2x of voice calls) .. u cant do lott of typing ,some how u can manage to get a full day on charge on heavy typing . consider these .

So many ppl say about the Samsung Galaxy S battery problem and I wonder why i cannot see this problem. I use my phone luke anything but still it gives good battery backup.

I have installed Beautiful Widgets which continously sync with internet for weather and location. Then I have facebook which again use 24x7. I use Flikie wallpaper HD which downloads and changes wallpaper automatically. I have BuzzBox which always syncs with my RSS and other news providers. I have Live Profile which is always on for my friends who have Blackberry n iPhone. You cannot exit or signout from that App. Gtalk always on. In addition to this i watch Youtube and browse internet. And still when I charge my phone full in the night, i have to charge it again the other night only.
I calibrate my phone's battery once or twice a week and never overcharge.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back