suggest best SQ MP3 player

wnrao

dear friends

i am looking for a MP3 player for audio only.need not be feature rich but should give best SQ.

memory of 1 or 2 GB sufficient.

want to use for jogging, so prefer with non slipping ear canal head phones (if required i can buy seperate in ear headphones like creative EP630).

also may use the player as a source to my amp with audio out to amp (is there any better way to connect to amp)

shortlisted scandisk sansa+creative EP630 headphones and ipod shuffle ( need to change head phones, can i download my MP3 music from my PC or due to itunes any limitation is there).

pl suggest me some good sounding MP3 players. thanks in advance.

Apple iPod anyday. Their headphones are the best. You can consider Creative Zen too, but Apple wins my vote especially for their great headphones which give great SQ and are a snug fit.

BTW, wondering why not use a mobile for the same? These days all mobiles play mp3s and sound great too. Also less hassle with carrying additional h/w.

Get a pair of decent headphones and try the iriver SQ wise those are the best I have heard.

I have listened to apple, Creative , Cowon, Philips, Sony etc iriver was a step above them in terms of SQ for sure

Creative also makes some good and really gud VFM mp3 players when compared to Apple

If possible have a listen to iriver & cowon.

Apple iPod anyday. Their headphones are the best. You can consider Creative Zen too, but Apple wins my vote especially for their great headphones which give great SQ and are a snug fit.

BTW, wondering why not use a mobile for the same? These days all mobiles play mp3s and sound great too. Also less hassle with carrying additional h/w.

thanks for the info.hope u r doing well.
is there any limitation in downloading music to ipod from my pc. i read somewhere we can only play itunes. is it true.
eventhough ipod headphones are great i cant use them for jogging as they keep slipping. i need to use in ear headphones. i am looking for good in ear headphones as well.
regards

I have used Samsung YP series mp3 palyers, currently have creative Zen V and has listened lot on Apple ipod.

Apple ipod gives best bass. Interms if clarity and sound output i liked the Samsung the Best.

Thanks,
Prakash.

thanks for the info.hope u r doing well.
is there any limitation in downloading music to ipod from my pc. i read somewhere we can only play itunes. is it true.
eventhough ipod headphones are great i cant use them for jogging as they keep slipping. i need to use in ear headphones. i am looking for good in ear headphones as well.
regards

Doing great. Only limitation with iPod is you will need iTunes s/w to transfer songs to and from it. The iPod comes with in-the-ear headphones that fix quite securely, but I have not tried jogging with them though. For jogging a headband kind of headphones might be better.

Doing great. Only limitation with iPod is you will need iTunes s/w to transfer songs to and from it. The iPod comes with in-the-ear headphones that fix quite securely, but I have not tried jogging with them though. For jogging a headband kind of headphones might be better.

am i right in asuming that itune software is supplied with iphone and i can download songs from my PC like any other MP3 player with that software.
for jogging in ear phones are good and i am using 1, trying to get a better quality 1.
any idea of quality,cost and availability of apple in ear phones

demo sony walkman series phone with their in-ear headphones.

sony may be a good choice but the clip players like sandisk sansa and shuffle may be more convenient for outdoor activities like jogging as they r lightweight and can be clipped to the collar or some convenient place.
i dont know the SQ of sandisk sansa clip player but it has got good reviews as good product.
regarding shuffle i am trying to know whether i can load songs from my PC like anyother MP3 player or itune is a limitation, as i read somewhere thats only itune songs can be played on ipod

am i right in asuming that itune software is supplied with iphone and i can download songs from my PC like any other MP3 player with that software.
for jogging in ear phones are good and i am using 1, trying to get a better quality 1.
any idea of quality,cost and availability of apple in ear phones

iTunes s/w is free and available for d/l on the internet. It will be provided along with the iPod too. The iPod headphones are not easily available, but at one time I did check on their cost and they were quoted at Rs. 1200 or so. This is for the in-ear headphones that come with the iPod, but since they are with a 3.5 mm jack they can be used as headphones for any other h/w apart from the iPod. I think the headphones will be available at iStore in Ashok Metropolitan Mall in Banjara Hills, a call to them should confirm it. But be prepared, they will be expensive seeing its Apple.

Limitations of Ipod are

It does not play WMA files (Windows Media Audio)
It does not have FM radio

itunes could be downloaded from the apple website at any time.If you got good money to splash on headphones you can get a Sennheiser headphone in ear headphones specifically desined to be used while jogging are available and the SQ of those headphones are a zillion times better than normal ipod buds

You can also check out Shure headphones which would be a lilttles more expensive.

But you wont go wrong with Apple for SQ

though I still believe iriver is the best though its difficult to get in India.

Rem

I agree with you with the caveat that the older apples were more sturdy and had better SQ. Somehow my new ones sound very crappy. I might think of changing my ipod to another player - not sure which one amongst Sony or Creative or Samsung.

Limitations of Ipod are

itunes could be downloaded from the apple website at any time.If you got good money to splash on headphones you can get a Sennheiser headphone in ear headphones specifically desined to be used while jogging are available and the SQ of those headphones are a zillion times better than normal ipod buds

You can also check out Shure headphones which would be a lilttles more expensive.

Last edited:
Cowan is good, but not sure its available in Hyderabad. My friend got an iRiver and my cousin a Creative Zen. Somehow I personally found good mobile phones to be on par with them in terms of SQ.

Limitations of Ipod are

thanks for the info.i am looking at senheiser in ear headphones seriously. if they got 1 designed for jogging it would suit me perfectly. can u tell the model No. , if u know it. i am looking at a budget of 2K, i heard regarding shure good SQ and that they come at a price, but how expensive are they
since i am looking for player suited for jogging i want to go with clip players like sandisk sansa or shuffle.
may be sandisk sansa gives me more freedom of downloading songs from any source and playing different formats. i dont know how its SQ compares with ipod shuffle without head phones. i assume with senheiser they should sound more or less same, pl correct me if i am wrong

thanks for the info.i am looking at senheiser in ear headphones seriously. if they got 1 designed for jogging it would suit me perfectly. can u tell the model No. , if u know it. i am looking at a budget of 2K, i heard regarding shure good SQ and that they come at a price, but how expensive are they
since i am looking for player suited for jogging i want to go with clip players like sandisk sansa or shuffle.
may be sandisk sansa gives me more freedom of downloading songs from any source and playing different formats. i dont know how its SQ compares with ipod shuffle without head phones. i assume with senheiser they should sound more or less same, pl correct me if i am wrong
Cowon and Iriver make some of the best sounding pmps. I own a cowon Iaudio d2 and i can vouch for the sound quality which is leaps and bounds ahead of the Ipods. I have listened to players from Apple, Samsung, Sony, Sandisk and Creative. The Sony Walkmans also sound great.
If you are looking at use during jogging etc, then the Sandisk sansa clip with ep630(900rs), senn cx300(2300rs) etc would be ideal. Or you could go for the sony mdr ex51.71 etc.

Creative xifi mp3 player is supposed to be good for its sound quality.
Stay away from apples Hard drive based mp3 players they have very bad SQ.

Also earphones affect the SQ a lot more than mp3 players so get good ear phones from sennheisser or shure.Creative EP630 is not so good compared to sennheisser earphones like cx500.

Sandisk Sansa is the best VFM player on the market today, it can drive even the most demanding headphones.

dont go with Apple, its the Bose of MP3 players.

Cowon D2 & IAudio 7 are also good, but on the expensive side.

as for the headphones, I cant believe moserw (who has assisted me with my query very nicely) saying that apple's stock earbuds rock :confused:

whats your budget for headphones? EP630 are still the el cheapo buds, post your headphone query on head-fi.org also you can buy from Jaben singapore. they have a forum where you can read about all the headphones, IEMs etc. along with praises for the owner of jaben whom everyone calls uncle wilson.

In short, if you are serious about spending on earphones, then head over to the jaben forums, as in India you will not get good choices.

as for the headphones, I cant believe moserw (who has assisted me with my query very nicely) saying that apple's stock earbuds rock :confused:

My apologies if this came across wrong, but I meant in all the stock/default headphones supplied with the equipment i.e. headphones with mobiles, headphones with Creative Zen and other mp3 players and the headphones supplied with the iPod, yes I will still say the iPod ones are the best. Mobile phones headphones are not comfortable and begin to hurt after a while, but iPod can be heard for hours on end and they don't even pop out i.e. they are such a snug fit.

Now if you are talking the non-default kind and looking to go high-end then yes I can recommend Sennheiser and Shure to begin with having used for years.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back