Suggestion for a Media Player

akkiman

I was looking for some suggestions on getting a media player at my place. Here is what I'm looking for :

1) Should have full HD capabilities
2) Should have atleast 1TB of storage.
3) Should be able to stream web services like youtube, flickr,etc.
4) Should have wi-fi capabilities.
5) Should be capable of downloading torrents.

I have seen numerous models that are capable of doing this, but honestly since there are so many, it is confusing. Please send me your recommendations based on your usage, etc. And oh yes, my budget isn't a lot - can buy upto 10k

Hi,

You can think of WD Live Hub as you are looking for 1TB disk, you can check specs here. and its under 10k so within your budget.

iOmega ScreenPlay HD.. can connect thru ethernet but no wireless

I would suggest Xtreamer, though it doesnt come with HDD it can play almost all file formats (based upon personal experience). You can add external HDD by adding 3-4k for 1TB. get the wireles usb adapter and go wireless..

Thanks for the recommendations. I will have a look at these models.

Although the best quote I got so far for the WD live hub was 11.5k. Do you know where I could get it for under 10k ?

Thanks again

Try the Minto(R) player from Onida. This has wired Ethernet, I understand you can connect Wi-Fi dongle. However, I have not tried the wi-fi. It has HDMI, Composite and component video in addition to Optical interface for home theater connection. Supports 2 USB and file copy between the USB. I have an NTFS formatted 500GB disk connected to the device. Was able to play most formats.

Almost plays anuthing from the USB port.

It plays my Home media server files over both NFS/Samba and UPnP. I use a free NAS media server with 1 TB storage.

I understand it may be pricesd at around 6.5K INR.

WD Live Hub with 1TB HDD will work for you. Only shortfall is this unit has no built-in Wi-Fi, only Ethernet port. But you can add Wi-Fi dongle from market and connect through Wi-Fi. Two weeks before my friend bought this device here in Bangalore. INR 11.5K and it does what it says. Very slick and looking good. I found Youtube look and feel is not great in this device compare to desktop version. But who cares as long as this device stream the videos from Youtube.

Also check Xtreamer Pro as suggested by iamanand, but expensive compare to WD.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back