Suggestion required for AVR + Speakers for 1.5lakh.

Dinesh29888

Guys need suggestion for my first ever home theatre system ...

Budget : 1.5lakh
Room Size : No idea (its like medium)
AVR : Not yet decided but was planning 2 go for Onkyo (not yet experienced but just read somewhere that they make some real good avr)
Speakers : Really no idea about this like should i go for tower speakers or the small speakers which we mount on the wall ....
Use : Home theatre, will totally use for movies and only movies

Like the setup is totally like a mini theatre have also ordered for 8 lecliner and obvious a projector will be used, the room is under construction ... So i was like planning to go for 7.1 sound ... like is this a better option or how much difference will it make on a 5.1 & 7.1 .... I am really looking forwad for a theatre style music effects on that 1.5lakh budget ...And i am from Mumbai !!

it will be very easy for u to select as u mentioned system only for movies.
its a thumb rule 60:40 for speker and avr Or 70:30 for spker and avr if budget is on higher side..
1.5 is a good budget...
apart from onkyo..there are denon/yamaha/pioneer recivers...

but best is audition with some real good movie files..original blu ray disk is best..
good speaker brands...sonodyne/dali/polk/energy/q acoustics/wharfedale/klipsch/paradigm....randomly not in order as quality
good sub-velodyne/svs,,,,,,randomly not in order as quality

audition is best because ur ear is the final judge,and different speaker+different avr sound little differnt to diffrent ear with diffrent tracks.but as u already want them only for movies...it will be easy to decide.

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/...buy-avr-speakers-mumbai-preferebly-south.html

check this for mumbai shops....

in my opinion u keep 50k for reciver and 1 lakh for spekers.also keep 10k for quality cables

u can buy 7.1 with ur budget but in my opinion buy 5.1 now and later add 2 rear satelites.....really wont make much diffrence
denon 1912 is a good avr in that range around 42k I think....
some say onkyo is good for movies/denon is for both/yamaha is king for music....finally ur ear is the judge.

but with such a good budget please dont buy hi end htibs...buy separates...happy purchase

Last edited:
@Prosenjit ... I will consider the 2 points thats 60:40.. Speakers/AVR and second that i will get a 5.1 and later will upgrade it to 7.1 if needed ... and about audition i will give it a try @ Atria mall which is closest to my place

For now i have short listed this front FS RTiA7 from Polkaudio
RTiA7 - Floorstanding | Polk Audio

For movies Onkyo+Polk and Denon+Polk, both combination will work.

At profx you can audition Denon+Polk combination. You can also try Denon+KEF (Q series), I felt that Bass is little less in KEF compared to Polk. But I also felt KEF is more suitable to music than Polk. General perception is Denon and KEF are Warm , Onkyo and Polk are bright.

It is better to have center and surround also from the same make and series. If you are selecting Polk RTi A7, you can select CSi A6 as center and FXi A6 or RTi A3 as surrounds

Audition as many combination as possible like Monitor Audio, Paradigm, etc

Dude, at ur budget they will come to ur place to give u a demo. I had done the same.

Walk into a JBL store and ask for Sahils or speak to a technical person. Tell him ur requirement and rough budget. He will design the system for u i.e choose the towers, centres subs, surround and AVR.

Do the exact same thing with Paradign. And the same with KEF.

Let them tell u what goes best with which combo. Based on their recommendations u take a call.

Im saying this cause after a point u will get super confused and then it will be more of an instinctive buy. And at ur budget, u will get some really good options.

P.S: JBL had offered me an excellent package at 1.75L 2 yrs back, was kinda over shooting my budget a bit.

oh and pls buy towers.. Dont compromise there.

Thanks for the reply every1 ...
Guys i have selected this speakers and sub from POLK Audio (just shortlisted)

Center Channel Speaker - CSiA6
Surround speakers - F/XiA6
Front FloorStanding Speaker - RTiA5
Sub - Polk Audio PSW10

Is this a good combination ?

Or its not a good combination and i need to change something ?

Suggest me some good AVR for those listed speakers from Onkyo (Need some good AVR which can provide the actual and the best sounds from those speakers) First preference will be 7.1 AVR but also a 5.1 will do

And i have arranged for a audition at 5.1 sounds (Nerul) next week only for the front FS RTiA5

& The reason i have jumped from RTiA7 to RTiA5 is the budget :sad:

I would suggest Denon 2113 or Onkyo 717/818 (if available) otherwise 709/809

Recommend 7.1 AVR becuase you will need only 2 additional speakers upgrade your setup to 7.1. If you buy 5.1 now, you will have to change AVR as well.

Suggest DSW 550 or DSW660 sub. PSW10 won't be a match for RTi series.

Sub need not be from polk, you can consider SVS, Velodyne etc. (SVS low end models will cost around 50K, may overshot your budget).

If you have already liked the combo then go for it. Remember that the sound in the showroom will be different than your home because they are totally different environments.

For AVRs there are tons that match the Polks like Denon 1900 series, Yamaha 700 series etc.

Don't be in a hurry. take your time and try to audition all speaker brands within your budget and try to get used to the variety of sound signatures of different speakers and get an idea of what type of sound you like. note the whole chain while auditioning viz source,AVR,cables,room size & acoustics etc. everything makes a difference and what you listen while auditioning might not be what you get at home.
after finalising the speakers you can choose AVR accordingly.

Thanks for the reply every1 ...
Guys i have selected this speakers and sub from POLK Audio (just shortlisted)

Center Channel Speaker - CSiA6
Surround speakers - F/XiA6
Front FloorStanding Speaker - RTiA5
Sub - Polk Audio PSW10

Is this a good combination ?

Or its not a good combination and i need to change something ?

Suggest me some good AVR for those listed speakers from Onkyo (Need some good AVR which can provide the actual and the best sounds from those speakers) First preference will be 7.1 AVR but also a 5.1 will do

And i have arranged for a audition at 5.1 sounds (Nerul) next week only for the front FS RTiA5

& The reason i have jumped from RTiA7 to RTiA5 is the budget :sad:

I have pretty much same combination, except RTi A3 instead of RTi A5, ofcourse A5 will sound better.

As some one posted chuck PSW get the DSW Pro 660 or atleast 550. They are brilliant subs, and remote is the best thing to ever happen to my setup.

Recommend 7.1 AVR becuase you will need only 2 additional speakers upgrade your setup to 7.1. If you buy 5.1 now, you will have to change AVR as well.

Sub need not be from polk, you can consider SVS, Velodyne etc. (SVS low end models will cost around 50K, may overshot your budget).

Ok even i was looking for a 7.1 AVR ...
Now the thing is that with all that shortlisted speakers front rear and surround the amount goes roughly for 90K (Rstes i just calculated from the US Site).... Rest what i have is 60K from which i need to get the AVR + the Sub ... Now the Sub which you said DSW550/660 will go out of my budget if i get them cause i also need to spend on the AVR ... so anything you can suggest me which will maintain both the price and also the quality ....or should i downgrade the surround speakers ....I just wanna shortlist a package so then i can go and have a audition for them, if i go undecided then it will be a impossible task !!

Don't be in a hurry. take your time and try to audition all speaker brands within your budget and try to get used to the variety of sound signatures of different speakers and get an idea of what type of sound you like. note the whole chain while auditioning viz source,AVR,cables,room size & acoustics etc. everything makes a difference and what you listen while auditioning might not be what you get at home.

Yup i have a arranged for a audition for the RTiA5 at nerul ... yeah and the room size will definitely matter on what room i hear on the audition and what actually my room size is ... will keep that on mind !!

Ok even i was looking for a 7.1 AVR ...
Now the thing is that with all that shortlisted speakers front rear and surround the amount goes roughly for 90K (Rstes i just calculated from the US Site).... Rest what i have is 60K from which i need to get the AVR + the Sub ... Now the Sub which you said DSW550/660 will go out of my budget if i get them cause i also need to spend on the AVR ... so anything you can suggest me which will maintain both the price and also the quality ....or should i downgrade the surround speakers ....I just wanna shortlist a package so then i can go and have a audition for them, if i go undecided then it will be a impossible task !!

Yup i have a arranged for a audition for the RTiA5 at nerul ... yeah and the room size will definitely matter on what room i hear on the audition and what actually my room size is ... will keep that on mind !!

How about this combo guys .... all amounts are just roughly calculated

Center Channel Speaker CSiA6 (Polk Audio) - 22300rs
Surround speakers F/XiA6 (Polk Audio) - 28000rs
Front Floor Standing Speaker RTiA5 (Polk Audio) - 40000rs
DSW PRO 550WI (Polk Audio) - 23000rs

AVR - TX-NR616
7.2-Ch THX Certified Network A/V Receiver (Onkyo) - 36000rs

ppl need your suggestions on this ... will this combo perform well ? if yes then i can go ahead and have the auditions for each and every 1 of them ....

I recently upgraded to Paradigm speakers with Denon, I think following combination should also work out in your price range.

AVR 1913 + SVS PSB NSD or Velodyne eq max 10 + Paradigm Mini monitor series7 + Paradigm Center 3 + Surround1

Thanks
Venkat

AVR - TX-NR616

ppl need your suggestions on this ... will this combo perform well ? if yes then i can go ahead and have the auditions for each and every 1 of them ....

You can negotiate to get minimum 10% of each speaker set, then ask for further discount on total value since you are buying all of them in one go.

AVR - TX-NR616

Are the prices mentioned are after the discount? They look lower than what was mentioned at ProFX in B'lore. Where are you getting the model NR616? If it is from US, then you should be getting at 400USD and you may save nearly 12K.

yup 550 is priced at 38k, at 23k you are getting a good 20% discount. The combination should do well as well. Main dfference between 550 and 660 is 10" and 12" sub.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back