Suggestions for 5.1.4 setup

Relief...gud to know. Thanks
If you mean Dynamic Volume, then yes, your chosen model has it.

First, you could try this: 1. arrive at an acceptable SPL-volume level for all your needs (basically, the loudest you are comfortable with) and then 2. engage Dynamic Volume on the AVR. This will boost dialogue and temper down the action.

Second, you could just run Audyssey for your preferred volume levels and boost the Centre channel level by up 3 to 6 dB.

I do the latter in my small room.

Ideally, the best solution for this is something called dynamic compression, which is found in players like VLC (which in my experience does it the best) and other such players...

For desktops, there used to be a good free dynamic compression app, which worked wonders for both Netflix and Amazon content when played on a desktop. It was the best experience I have ever had.

All said, just go for either of the first two options mentioned above. It's all trial and error once the components are home anyway.

Best

PS: One thing I would want to know from experts for myself too, how about an external device? With a DSP, can we boost just the dialogue frequencies (up to say, 1.6K) or would it spoil the other sounds?

Decision has been taken after auditioning various speakers and going through various threads. Luckily I also got to audition speakers at a place that had kept the room acoustics similar to what one would have at their homes.

The final lineup looks like this :-
Centre - B&W HTM6
FL n R - B&W 606 S2
Rears - B&W 607
Sub - B&W ASW610
AVR - 4700H
I am sure my choice of Sub would get a lot of thumbs down but I really liked the tautness and accuracy of this baby. It didn’t rattle the stuff around all the time but when it did, it was very good. I would probably add one more of this later.

Got an amazing offer on Focal 1000F for 90K. Looked like a very good deal and I had posted about it few posts back. But, I couldn’t find much on it on the net as well as various forums. Couldn’t audition it either. Didn’t want to take chance with the hope that it would turn out good and went with what I had seen and heard.

All these except the sub are ported and I had indicted problem with that. Now I plan to put these on the walls.

I got a decent deal on these. Will update on that.

@k-pad thanks for inputs that helped in navigating around. I did check out Klipschs as suggest3by you but found B&W better to my taste. @Nitin K your inputs were also helpful.

Will get back when these are delivered. I am sure friends here would guide me through the process of installation and stuff.
Where did you pick up the B&w. And what prices did you pay. I was thinking of getting the 603 with the 607 for surr and 610 for the sub. I haven’t demo them yet but have heard that they are quite bright. Your experience. And lastly do you have a dealer contact that I could reach out to discuss more.

All said, just go for either of the first two options mentioned above. It's all trial and error once the components are home anyway.
Thanks @k-pad. You have been a great guide. Will try as suggested.
Where did you pick up the B&w. And what prices did you pay. I was thinking of getting the 603 with the 607 for surr and 610 for the sub. I haven’t demo them yet but have heard that they are quite bright. Your experience. And lastly do you have a dealer contact that I could reach out to discuss more.
I have just placed the order and delivery is likely in 10-15 days.
I had auditioned them at few locations and really liked the output in terms of clarity and depth.
I suggest you try them out before you decide. Bangalore is bound to have multiple locations where you can audition them.
603s should be a great buy. I went for 606s due to space constraint. 610 is a unique proposition. I liked it a lot. You must compare with other subs. It dishes out solid and tight bass that I liked but it may be different from what you want. I suggest you check out SVS, Rel and other offerings before you take the plunge.

I got a decent deal and a price almost same as in the US. Put your requirement on Indiamart and you would get a call from multiple sellers. I found them to be lower than the ones I had met in person at Delhi, Chennai and Hyderabad.
Good luck.

Hi friends, I am setting up a home theatre in my living room. The idea is to set up a decent system and enjoy movies/TV shows and also use that room as a living room. This puts the restriction of not being able to go whole hog but restrict myself due to dual usage.
The room size is 18.5’(l) x 13’(b) x 9’(h) = 2165 cu ft. The room has a French window on one side. That has been covered with two heavy curtains for sound proofing purpose. False ceiling has been done with perforated gypsum sheets for the same reason. The overall outcome is pretty decent.
The usage would be 80% TV/ movies and rest music. I already have a 65” LG OLED TV and would continue to do service for a while, till projector is finalised. The sound duty is being done by LG Soundbar that came with the TV.
The wall behind the TV has been covered with gypsum panels and given a finish to be able to do the duty as projector screen later. During construction and interior works I got wiring done for projector, and rear speakers.
For Atmos I have already installed 4 JBL Arena 6IC in the ceiling. This was done to avoid cutting the false ceiling later. That can get messy and for Atmos purpose these speakers appeared adequate.
Now the dilemma.
I have done some homework and kind of shortlisted the following:-
AVR - Marantz 6015 or Denon 4700H. Both appear very close on a lot of parameters. Marantz prices have increased recently and is costing 18K more. This is making me tilt towards Denon.
Centre Channel - Paradigm Premier 500C, Kef Q650 C and Revel Concerta 2 C25. I have auditioned Paradigm and Kef. Both appeared solid. I have read about Revel ones and have been liked by everyone who has auditioned them. Centre channel appears to be the most important speaker for movies. That’s why I am ready to spend a little more on them compared to surround speakers.
Surrounds - Paradigm Cinema 200 and Kef Q150. I have auditioned both, but at different times and location. Paradigm appeared quite good. Any other suggestions in the similar price band? Paradigm ones are available for 22 K a piece.
Subwoofer - SVS SB1000 Pro and Klipsch SPL 120. I haven’t been able to audition SVS one’s. But there are loads of reviews for both of them. They are available at similar price points in India. As of now I am thinking of one Subwoofer. Having read through the forum, I am sure a lot of FMs would suggest a dual setup.
I have worked out my budget for separate components and not for the whole setup.
AVR - 1,60,000
Centre Channel - 75,000
Surrounds - 25,000 each (Total 1 lac for four. FL, FR, RL and RR)
Subwoofer - 80 K.
Total works out to ₹ 4,15,000. It can go upto 4.5 Lacs with one SW.
I can stretch it a little if something very promising comes my way.
Please also suggest anything that appears to be better than what I have listed at these price points.
If you can stretch your budget a bit more then go for Yamaha AVR. You’ll thank yourself in the longer run. Marantz power management per channel sucks. So until you’re planning to put separates amps in your channels you’d be much better off with Yamaha than Marantz or denon. BTW denon and Marantz are owned by the same parent. Denon is the Lower priced lower quality product. Cheers.

If you can stretch your budget a bit more then go for Yamaha AVR.
You are late by a day. I wish you had piped up a few days earlier.
Denon is already here.
Hence, Denon is all the way now.
Thanks for the input though. It would help any prospective buyers.

Last edited:
You are late by a day. I wish you had piped up a few days earlier.
Denon is already here.
Hence, Denon is all the way now.
Thanks for the input though. It would help any prospective buyers.
Which model did you get and from where? If you don't mind, could you please share the prices for the 6015 and the Denon that you got?

Which model did you get and from where?
I got 4700H for 1,45,000. As I mentioned in my previous post, put your requirement on Indiamart. A lot of vendors would get in touch with you.
I had planned to go for Marantz 6015 earlier this year but they increased the prices by 50K making it much more expensive than 4700H without any tangible benefits that can justify higher cost. Hence, I decided to go for 4700H. The deal is also a sweet one.

Went to Qubix in Bangalore and demo'd the B&W 603 with the Rotel 1592 Amp - in a stereo set up. It sounded awesome. Since the use included about 20%movies, I figured it would be okay to check out the setup with a 5.1 surround. So tested out the B&W 603, 607, center paired with the Denon 2700. And then switched it up to listen to it in stereo using the Denon and I understood what people say about amp pairing the B&W for it to sound nice. I couldnt even listen to one full song. B&W sounded completely different. Couldnt bear the sound. So there goes the plan to use a Denon receiver and use it as a 5.1 set up.

Question to the experts here - Any recommendations for amps that pair well with the B&W besides the Rotel? There is a Rotel 1572 that is a little less pricey but with 120W/channel. Would that be enough to drive the B&W.

I couldnt even listen to one full song. B&W sounded completely different. Couldnt bear the sound. So there goes the plan to use a Denon receiver and use it as a 5.1 set up.
Did you try to change the settings?
I am no expert on the matter but I have seen what change in EQ and other settings can do to the output. Since B&W worked well with Rotel, then a similar if not exact outcome can be managed on most modern Amps. Only problem is number of permutations and combinations that can prove be a deterrent.
Let us know what is your final choice?

Went to Qubix in Bangalore and demo'd the B&W 603 with the Rotel 1592 Amp - in a stereo set up. It sounded awesome. Since the use included about 20%movies, I figured it would be okay to check out the setup with a 5.1 surround. So tested out the B&W 603, 607, center paired with the Denon 2700. And then switched it up to listen to it in stereo using the Denon and I understood what people say about amp pairing the B&W for it to sound nice. I couldnt even listen to one full song. B&W sounded completely different. Couldnt bear the sound. So there goes the plan to use a Denon receiver and use it as a 5.1 set up.

Question to the experts here - Any recommendations for amps that pair well with the B&W besides the Rotel? There is a Rotel 1572 that is a little less pricey but with 120W/channel. Would that be enough to drive the B&W.
Setting it up correctly is critical..

Did you try to change the settings?
I am no expert on the matter but I have seen what change in EQ and other settings can do to the output. Since B&W worked well with Rotel, then a similar if not exact outcome can be managed on most modern Amps. Only problem is number of permutations and combinations that can prove be a deterrent.
Let us know what is your final choice?
@Vkdking i didn’t change the setting. But B&Ws sounded like a lot like the negative reviews that I had read online. It was very very bright with the Denon. One of the reasons that the AV expert in the shop said was that it could do with the type of Amp. Denon uses a class D while the Rotels are AB. I am no expert and so don’t know if that could be the issue. He also said Marantz may sound better than the Denon.

A bitter but fruitful advice:

If you can consider getting a smaller AV table/rack...or get the same table cut in half..you could easily accommodate floor standers.

Do think about changing a little bit of the room plan like smaller table etc. One time job

U will reap the benefits later for sure if/when u will itch for improvement.

Also check about the possibility of exchanging ur AVR with another one like the Pioneer/Yamaha as for movies class A/AB don't matter. Instead they're inefficient.

A class D will give u more power and efficiency (95%). Useful. Plus will run cooler.

Class AB is something to consider in a stereo setup. Even the class D are great n come a long way now. Much improved. U'd be better off with bright sound in movies. Class D is not bright though.

Food for thought 💭
e.g. KEF are using class D amps in LS60 😎

Last edited:
You observation seems incorrect. Denon 4700H has Class AB amps. Could be similar for most of their models.

Thanks for clarifying. This was what Av expert at the store told me and I didn’t bother checking. For me - the combo of Denon and B&W 603s didnt work. The Rotel and B&W 603 was really nice. I am going to demo the B&W with Cambridge audio next week. Will update. Based on what I have heard and given that my use is 80% music I am leaning towards stereo set up with a dedicated amp. And will figure out the AVR and surr at a later date.

All the components have arrived. The final line-up is
Centre - B&W HTM6
FL n R - B&W 606 S2
Rears - B&W 607
Sub - B&W ASW610
JBL arena 6ic x 4 in-ceiling speakers (these were already installed)
AVR - 4700H.
I have ordered two stands for SL n R. This would allow proper placement for these.
I have put up and connected them to the AVR. Just tinkered a little bit to get the feel.
Great difference seen from my LG Soundbar. Tried to use various modes of surround effects.
Found Multi Ch Stereo to provide the best experience.
ASW610 sub does sound great.

The overall experience is not as exhilarating as I had expected. That could be due to speaker run-in, placement and proper calibration.
Will follow the other threads on these aspects and update.

All the components have arrived. The final line-up is
Centre - B&W HTM6
FL n R - B&W 606 S2
Rears - B&W 607
Sub - B&W ASW610
JBL arena 6ic x 4 in-ceiling speakers (these were already installed)
AVR - 4700H.
I have ordered two stands for SL n R. This would allow proper placement for these.
I have put up and connected them to the AVR. Just tinkered a little bit to get the feel.
Great difference seen from my LG Soundbar. Tried to use various modes of surround effects.
Found Multi Ch Stereo to provide the best experience.
ASW610 sub does sound great.

The overall experience is not as exhilarating as I had expected. That could be due to speaker run-in, placement and proper calibration.
Will follow the other threads on these aspects and update.
Enjoy!!! Yeah running in the speakers should get them to settle in. By the way changed my plan after doing a blind test with B&w 603 vs Dali, Kef and Triangle. And changed up the B&w to Kef q950. And at the request of the family - considering 5.1 with the Kef 950, 650 and 350.

Enjoy!!! Yeah running in the speakers should get them to settle in. By the way changed my plan after doing a blind test with B&w 603 vs Dali, Kef and Triangle. And changed up the B&w to Kef q950. And at the request of the family - considering 5.1 with the Kef 950, 650 and 350.
Q950 would be any day better than 606s and 7s.
I didn’t have floor space hence floor standers were out of the equation.
No plan for in-ceiling/height channels?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back