Suggestions for a good Speakers

sunilk

Hi, I am looking for a decent set of speaker systems for connecting to Denon 2113 which I have almost zeroed upon for the AVR. My living room size would be about 26 x 16 plus an addition 200 sqf of adjoining open areas.

I mostly listen western music - Rock, Metal, Progressive & ballads across genres. I may like to upgrade theater viewing as well with a surround. I do not keep budget a constraint but typically would like to close within 1.25 lac approx. Welcome your thoughts.. for intrsopection of brands /speaker types. I did audition wharfe (10.5) and found them pretty good though a bit expensive. Also may be important to listen to experiences for matching speakers with Denon.. Thanks !

Need a bit of clarification. Are you looking at 5.1 channles (5 speakers and a sub) or stereo pair in 1.25lacs?

Need a bit of clarification. Are you looking at 5.1 channles (5 speakers and a sub) or stereo pair in 1.25lacs?

Its an estimate budget for AVR + 5.1 speakers. i may go in phases ..hence may stretch a bit on the budget if needed. Thanks

Any thoughts of the Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Home Theatre Package on Hifi Mart .. costs about 45 K total

Guys, please help.. I am really looking forward to your posts eagerly. Speakers are indeed confusing me. Too many options/models available.. Polk, Focal, KEF, Wharfe, MA, ..Whew !!! Need some good sounding stuf and considering the local context - Pune, India for service support,etc..

Guys, please help.. I am really looking forward to your posts eagerly. Speakers are indeed confusing me. Too many options/models available.. Polk, Focal, KEF, Wharfe, MA, ..Whew !!! Need some good sounding stuf and considering the local context - Pune, India for service support,etc..

Kef q300 is really superb speakers, give a try

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Your needs are a bit confusing. You say that you listen to Rock, Metal etc and you have decided on an AVR. AVRs will not do justice to your above requirement. For one querry you said you are in for 5.1 package and on the other hand you like 10.5. You first make up your mind between movies or music and then audition the speakers, depending on your seletion and taste, at your place within the limit of your budget and finally make a selection. Wharfedales are costly offlate, whose prices appear to be jacked by indian distributors, and you can find other good and better brands for the same price.

I tried the KEF Q500 with Denon 1713 and marantz 500.. . It seemed to be faring average on rich lows /bass. They also seem to need higher power to drive them ..basically sensitivity. BTW how would one compare a Polk RTI A5 vs Wharf 10.5 .. being in the same budget range of 45 K

Your needs are a bit confusing. You say that you listen to Rock, Metal etc and you have decided on an AVR. AVRs will not do justice to your above requirement. For one querry you said you are in for 5.1 package and on the other hand you like 10.5. You first make up your mind between movies or music and then audition the speakers, depending on your seletion and taste, at your place within the limit of your budget and finally make a selection. Wharfedales are costly offlate, whose prices appear to be jacked by indian distributors, and you can find other good and better brands for the same price.

Thanks! Okay let me put it this way and reset all my earlier views/biases.
I am looking for a decent sound system for rimarily music as the first preference and movies as the seconday - 'good to have'. Hence an approx amount of 1.25 Lac. The area is 26 x 15 with a few open spaces. But my TV faces the wall horizontally ..so the viewing distance is less then 15 feet. The same will be the case for the sound system too.

You do have a decent budget. Have you considered going stereo to start with and adding the AVR and other movie specific stuff at a later date? e.g. Get a stereo amp and speakers right now. Get an AVR later (If at all you feel the need) and adding the center+surrounds+sub as and when you feel the need/save up enough etc.

You can also consider 2 separate setups. A nice stereo setup and an entry level A/V setup. You could probably fit in both in this budget. A lot of folks on HFV started with an AVR and regretted the decision later (yours truly included).

Now looking at your budget ther could be many permutations/combinations one could think of.
1. Fronts + Stereo Amp - 60K
AVR + Other speakers - 65K
2. Fronts + Stereo Amp - 60K
AVR + separate 5.1 Package 65K
3. AVR + 5.1 Package in 125K
4. Fronts + Stereo Amp + Sub - 125K :)

In my opinion 4 is kind of the best of both worlds for movies + music. Kill the sub when you don't need the adde thump in music and use it strictly for movies or whatever suits you. Somehow the surrounds for me have so far been just a gimmick and of no substantial value.

Thanks ruenigma.. Thats useful. I thought of that earlier but was wondering about the budget ie. if I buy a stereo amp now and then a AVR.

What if I get an AVR with stereo option (most have ?) for easy scalability to a 5.1. I could invest in good 2 FS speakers to start with.

Any experiences of any specific brands /models would help.

Have you visited any HT stores for demos? You need to try and listen to as many systems as you possible can and then decide.

Hi aakashr - Any suggestions of good outlets in Pune where I have the demos ?

1. AVExcellence - Dhole Patil rd
2. SoundFactor - East street
3. Rohit Enterprises (Lakozy) - Shukrawar Peth
4. Aquarius - MG Road
5. Silo Media (Same Aquarius folks different showroom) - Mittal Court
6. Soundscape - Aundh
7. Melody - North Main rd

AVx has the best demo room of them all. SoundFactor is good too. Rohit is a really nice gentleman albeit with a moderate setup but he's typically open to home auditions as well. Aquarius are a nice bunch of folks especially the owner. Soundscape is more "DIY buying" ;)
Melody folks were too high handed last visited them, not sure if things have changed for better.

The above is a good list to get started........problem is not all systems are available for demo since they can't stock so many different systems together. So you are left to demo what is available. Most will agree to order something you need on request only if you buy it. But from everything they have the options are quite big. Might be a good idea to visit as many places and see what systems they have for demo. Some might require a prior appointment for a proper demo.

I would also like to add one more to the above list:

Mr Nishikant 9049295961 / Lights & Audio, Metro House, Mangaldad Rd, Pune..............one of the best demo rooms in town!!!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back