Suggestions for New HT Build..

madhanmss

Hi Folks,

I recently moved to chennai and would like to convert my Bedroom into a HT room. My hall is ruled out as its size and shape is not suitable for HT. Below are the list of items I currently own and my planned approach for HT build. Please pour your suggestions.

Hall: [ Nothing much planned here due to limitations ]
1. LG - 32LB530A - 720P TV
2. Videocon DTH HD
3. Logitech 2.1 Z623 - Input from TV output
4. Wii Game console for the family
5. PC
6. Airtel Broadband with 2mbps line
7. Audio Technia AT-MH50 - occasionally used for now

Things Lying around for my HT build:
1. Optoma HD66 - 720P Projector
2. PS3
3. Sony CD-MP3 Player with big ipod dock
4. Apple TV

Approach for Step by Step HT build: [Suggestion needed mainly here]
1. Get a good online UPS first - Mainly for projector
2. Decent AV Receiver [7.1 - 9.1] with Audyssey room correction or similar one
3. Floor Standars [ Pioneer AJ or Sonodyne or ???]
4. Center [ Pioneer AJ or Sonodyne or ???]
5. Surrounds [ Pioneer AJ or Sonodyne or ???]
6. SUB
7. 50 - 55 Inch 3DTV
8. 3D Blu-Ray player
9. ??? :)

Thanks in Advance.

Welcome to Chennai... Your combined budget ?

Thanks Elango.

The plan is to get the UPS, AVR and FS first and build gradually. Have not calculated what should be the UPS capacity to drive all these components. A decent AVR with room-correction feature. I had an Onkyo before but willing to go for anything good to hear. Trying to spend <1L for these three.

Thanks Elango.

The plan is to get the UPS, AVR and FS first and build gradually. Have not calculated what should be the UPS capacity to drive all these components. A decent AVR with room-correction feature. I had an Onkyo before but willing to go for anything good to hear. Trying to spend <1L for these three.

A 9.1 AVR, UPS & FS for less than 1Lac is tough.. I would suggest you this...

1) Get the 7.1/9.1 AVR from middle east if you can through any of your friends... You will save roughly 50% o the cost compared to retail price in India...Dubai shopping festival will begin in Jan & you should get very good discounts...Plan in advance for the AVR so you time decide the models...

2) For FS, since Sonodyne 2605 is already in your short-list, you can drop in to my place for an audition if you can along with your bluray material :eek:hyeah: So you will get an idea of how they perform in untreated rooms... Win-Win for both :) If you don't like the Sonodyne's, you can listen to the next affordable FS in your budget...

3) For UPS, i have fair knowledge.. So wait for other FM to share their views...

Last edited:
A 9.1 AVR, UPS & FS for less than 1Lac is tough.. I would suggest you this...

1) Get the 7.1/9.1 AVR from middle east if you can through any of your friends... You will save roughly 50% o the cost compared to retail price in India...Dubai shopping festival will begin in Jan & you should get very good discounts...Plan in advance for the AVR so you time decide the models...

2) For FS, since Sonodyne 2605 is already in your short-list, you can drop in to my place for an audition if you can along with your bluray material :eek:hyeah: So you will get an idea of how they perform in untreated rooms... Win-Win for both :) If you don't like the Sonodyne's, you can listen to the next affordable FS in your budget...

3) For UPS, i have fair knowledge.. So wait for other FM to share their views...

Yup. All three within 1L is tough. As of now priority goes to UPS. Might go for a mid range AVR and swap later. Let's see how things turns out.

Found the below movies with 7.1 track. Croods, epic and frozen. Hope to meet u soon buddy. Wish u we're staying closer, hate driving through city traffic. :)

Hi Folks,

I was out of action due to health issues and my build plan is delayed a bit. I am slowly starting back. I contacted vertex for stabilizer/ups options and below is the quote i got. I am ok with the stabilizer cost but ups seems to be on the costlier side. can i go ahead with the below quotes? it would be either 1&2 or 3.

1. 3kv Stabilizer [for all audio/video equipments] - Rs.14000
2. 1kv online-ups with 10min backup [for the projector] - Rs.16000
3. 3kv online-ups with 10min backup - Rs.36000 [asked this quote to avoid two separate devices to handle power]

Why not diy Speakers, There are lot of good designs. Some of which can give branded ones run for their money.

Welcome to the Hifi forum.

For your UPS & AV Receiver, I would suggest the following.

APC BR1500G-IN 1500VA 865watts UPS+AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator)
12500-13500

Denon x3100w 7.2 plus (with 7.2 channel pre-outs) - MRP 110000
Denon x2100w 7.2 - MRP 67000
The Denons are available at a 20% discount with the dealers.

What is your room size?

It will be around 10X10 bedroom

Why not diy Speakers, There are lot of good designs. Some of which can give branded ones run for their money.

Just wanted to go with Tried and Tested equipment.

Welcome to the Hifi forum.

For your UPS & AV Receiver, I would suggest the following.

APC BR1500G-IN 1500VA 865watts UPS+AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator)
12500-13500

Denon x3100w 7.2 plus (with 7.2 channel pre-outs) - MRP 110000
Denon x2100w 7.2 - MRP 67000
The Denons are available at a 20% discount with the dealers.

Thanks Buddy. I am evaluating various ups options. lets see. As for receiver, i might go with either Marantz,yamaha or pioneer 7.1/7.2.

Hi Folks,

I was out of action due to health issues and my build plan is delayed a bit. I am slowly starting back. I contacted vertex for stabilizer/ups options and below is the quote i got. I am ok with the stabilizer cost but ups seems to be on the costlier side. can i go ahead with the below quotes? it would be either 1&2 or 3.

1. 3kv Stabilizer [for all audio/video equipments] - Rs.14000
2. 1kv online-ups with 10min backup [for the projector] - Rs.16000
3. 3kv online-ups with 10min backup - Rs.36000 [asked this quote to avoid two separate devices to handle power]
Any suggestions on these? I need to finalize asap.

The 3kVA stabilizer seems oddly priced, I got a Servo (local manufactured) for my friend in madurai for 8k, dont know if what your buying is a reputed brand.

on the UPS prices, do they include batteries, if your going for a 3kVA online UPS you have to buy 6 batteries.

The 3kVA stabilizer seems oddly priced, I got a Servo (local manufactured) for my friend in madurai for 8k, dont know if what your buying is a reputed brand.

on the UPS prices, do they include batteries, if your going for a 3kVA online UPS you have to buy 6 batteries.

Vertex has a good reputation among our members and heard good review. Yes the UPS includes battery. My options are either 1&2 or 3.

Vertex has a good reputation among our members and heard good review. Yes the UPS includes battery. My options are either 1&2 or 3.

I would suggest 1 & 2, as maintaining batteries are a pain and a recurring expense. does a projector require 1kVA, I dont know about projectors, but its best to keep it simple as your only intention is to let the projector shutdown correctly on a power outage, plan accordingly.

I would suggest 1 & 2, as maintaining batteries are a pain and a recurring expense. does a projector require 1kVA, I dont know about projectors, but its best to keep it simple as your only intention is to let the projector shutdown correctly on a power outage, plan accordingly.

I am also leaning towards 1&2 but with Tax the cost shoot up by another 6k. Thats why wanted to make sure this is a reasonable price. I am planning to run my PC and other small appliances also through the UPS hence 1kv.

As part of my gradual HT build, bought the vertex 1kv online ups for Rs.16800. Tested my projector and it runs fine. Found out that the in-built speaker in the projector is gone. Is there a way to replace this? Not worried much though as it will never be used.

Next step is to get a good 7.1/7.2 AVR. Highly leaning towards Yamaha Rx-v677. Htstore has it for 55k. Need to check locally in Chennai to see what price they can offer.
will keep things posted.

As my room is small [10X10], lot of confusion around which speakers to choose. Is 7.1/9.1 setup wise for this room size?

Ran into money crunch and had to be realistic and downgrade my requirement. Ordered the below to start the journey for now.

1. vertex 3kv audio-grade stabilizer
2. Denon AVR X510BT
3. BA Soundware XS-5.1

Seeing lot of power fluctuations lately in my area and hence went for a whole house surge arrester from Vertex. Hopefully this setup will keep me happy for a while. :)

Thanks Buddy. I was actually looking for yamaha 377. looks like this model is not going to be supplied anymore to India, hence went with this combo. Hope this works out well as i noticed some concern with this setup by some FM.

Received the products two weeks back but got time only to install it yesterday. For a 10X10 room this setup is sounding good. Did not get enough time to play around with the setup. Just used the auto-setup using provided microphone. will post pictures of the setup later tonight.

Between, i used 2 core 16awg copper electrical wire as speaker wire. :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back