Suggestions needed on choosing between LG 60PK550R and Panny 50V20D

Could you please let me know which LG showroom in Chennai you called and the no. if you have it handy? I'll check in Velachery tomorrow if they have one on display.. Thanks.

I just Googled LG shop chennai and called that number, the guy said there are no plasma's on display but they can get me the pk950 in a weeks time if i order.

Thanks for that Saikat.. yes, I've to be wary of the power consumption as well, as on an average the TV is on in my household for about 12 hrs everyday...

I posted this elsewhere in this forum as well, Even if I become a die-hard plasma fan but for a tv that consume 200w (max rate of 250W can come down to 200W depending upon frame displayed) and runs 12 hrs a day would consume 2400Watt-Hours per day which on a monthly basis is 72000Watt-Hours or 72 Commercial Electricity Units that will cost around 360 INR per month that yearly piles up to 4.2K INR which again on a 5 yr projection is 21K INR. You may try investing this additional amount now to get a big LED over the 60incher plasma. of course the screen size does matter and I think LG plasmas consume the least power that Panasonic or SAMUSNGs.

I posted this elsewhere in this forum as well, Even if I become a die-hard plasma fan but for a tv that consume 200w (max rate of 250W can come down to 200W depending upon frame displayed) and runs 12 hrs a day would consume 2400Watt-Hours per day which on a monthly basis is 72000Watt-Hours or 72 Commercial Electricity Units that will cost around 360 INR per month that yearly piles up to 4.2K INR which again on a 5 yr projection is 21K INR. You may try investing this additional amount now to get a big LED over the 60incher plasma. of course the screen size does matter and I think LG plasmas consume the least power that Panasonic or SAMUSNGs.

epic post dude. huge Protip there

only for the viewing distance I suggest lg 60" ,always bigger is good ,but performance wise panny v20 is way a head than lg.

I know viewing preferences are a matter of personal taste, but even accounting for that, the LG 50PK550R I saw in the showroom today paled (no pun intended) in comparison with Panasonic 50V20D. I saw both Natl Geographic and Discovery HD channels but the images looked washed out and lacked the sharpness that I'm accustomed to seeing in my Sony LCD. I suspect the positioning of the TV (close to the showroom entrance) had something to do with the PQ as also the picture settings, but overall I wasn't quite thrilled. Oh well, now Sony's HX800 is back in contention.

Now u claimed to sony hx800 ,3d tv with good specs from a reliable company not a bad option mate go a head, did u auditioned lgle5500 or 8500?

Last edited:
Now u claimed to sony hx800 ,3d tv with good specs from a reliable company not a bad option mate go a head, did u auditioned lgle5500 or 8500?

Yes, I did look at 47" LE5500 and, personally, it looked much the better option to me compared to PK550. I also found that the 55" LE5500 + a blu-ray player + a couple of Blu-ray disks bundle was on offer for Rs 1,39,990 - if anyone is interested. Have to trawl the net for some reviews of 5500 and see where it takes me now.

Yes, I did look at 47" LE5500 and, personally, it looked much the better option to me compared to PK550. I also found that the 55" LE5500 + a blu-ray player + a couple of Blu-ray disks bundle was on offer for Rs 1,39,990 - if anyone is interested. Have to trawl the net for some reviews of 5500 and see where it takes me now.

47 incher was 83k 55 is 1.4 Lakh thats a little too much... You need to bargain hard. With that price you can get LE 8500 47 inch which is yet to be launched or LX9500 also.

I called up the LG and Customer Care today and here are my findings

Panasonic
Extended Warranty on all Plasma models (all sizes) on LCD models of 32/42 inches only is an ongoing offer from 1st Jan to 31st March on account of the world cup. While purchasing we will be getting the default 1 yr warranty and post purchase they will send us a seperate letter with extended warranty card. This extended warranty cannot be purchased otherwise (at least this is what they told me).

LG
Presently only 1 yr warranty comes with all their TVs. On the 50 inch Plasma (all models) the AMC per yr cost is 7,000 + ST and on the 60 incher it is 10,000 + ST for one year. If the purchase of AMC is done before the default 1 yr expires then they will offer a 10% discount. If someone purchases 2yrs together (for 2nd and 3rd yr) the discount will be 15% and for 3 yrs (2nd, 3rd and 4th yr) together the discount will be 20%. They were not able to answer if I will get the combined discount of 10% and 15% if I purchase 2yrs extended warranty within the first yr. this warranty / AMC covers parts , service and labor except glass (on the pic. tube / panel), plastic and rubber. The pic tube / panel is covered though.

So 50U20D will come at around 70K with 3yrs warranty default but 50pk550 will comes in around 65K + 13K ~ 78K with first 3 yrs warranty.

Basic rule : Don't judge a plasma in showroom conditions.

Agreed, but where else would you test it? I'm not sure if you're suggesting a leap of faith and buy it without looking at the display or, at best, after demoing a haphazardly arranged setup, install at home and return it if it isn't to my taste. That would be a terrible waste of time and money for everyone concerned. Plus, I'm not sure how many people would take that risk, I certainly wasn't going to.

Also, it wasn't as if I was in a multi-brand electronics shop where LG has to jostle with other brands for a better spot, this was an LG exclusive store and they had this flagship model exactly where it shouldn't have been. In fact, I had to help the Tech assistance guy to move it to another place.

I'm just rambling now, sorry ta...:sad:

^PK550 is not lg's flagship, plasma's to appear as bright as an lcd needs to be kept in a dim lit or dark room.

LCD's usually produces this photo finish shiny slightly over saturated image in bright lit showrooms which i don't prefer since for me they lack the depth like CRT or plasma.lcd's look great in bright lit places specially when animated movies are played.In a non bright room LCD starts to bloom u have this light in unwanted places which steals the realism of the video.

Its your and if u liked an lcd in the showroom then buy that.

One other thing is 60PK has USB support whereas 50V20 doesnt.

Thanks sudkrish.. I've had a change of mind. I'd ideally like to have > 55" screen - I didn't quite like the 60" LG and Panny 50" is a little small for my liking - I'm now leaning towards Sony's 55HX800 or 55EX700/710 at the moment. Checking the grey market pricess for them before I take the plunge.

Thanks sudkrish.. I've had a change of mind. I'd ideally like to have > 55" screen - I didn't quite like the 60" LG and Panny 50" is a little small for my liking - I'm now leaning towards Sony's 55HX800 or 55EX700/710 at the moment. Checking the grey market pricess for them before I take the plunge.

if 55" is your ideal why not look out for a samsung 58"c6500. i have the 50"c6500 and it is pretty good.

Good day All,

Is it wise to buy LG 60PK550 now? I was told by a retailer in Bangalore that 2011 models will be out in April? I would appreciate if you could recommend outlets where I could go for a demo. None of the PAIs, GIRIAS , brand shops seem to have plasmas.

Thanks & Regards,

Good day All,

Is it wise to buy LG 60PK550 now? I was told by a retailer in Bangalore that 2011 models will be out in April? I would appreciate if you could recommend outlets where I could go for a demo. None of the PAIs, GIRIAS , brand shops seem to have plasmas.

Thanks & Regards,

It should be there in some of the upmarket LG shoppes in Bangalore. As a matter of fact, I stopped by one such store in Chennai yesterday and lo and behold there was the 60 incher on display. This one showed much more promise than the 50PK550 I saw in another showroom and I was quite impressed without being overwhelmed by the picture. It retails for Rs 1,49,990 but the salesman offered it to me for a price of Rs 1,23,500; with a little bit of persuasion I was able to get the salesman to throw in a BD550 bu-ray player as well for that price. There's still some scope for price reduction I guess, could've probably struck a deal at 120k. HTH..

Thanks Prabhu :)....an LG Brand shop in Bangalore (Koramangala Ring road) quoted INR 1.2 L. Unfortunately I could not test it as both the 50 & 60 inchers were out of stock.

Should I wait for the 2011 release or there isnt anything of that sort in pipeline?...I all honesty, I am dud when it comes to electronic gadgets & expert suggestions from fellow members would be of supreme value to me in making a wise spend :)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I called all the Croma showrooms, Next, LG Brand shops, Viveks & even a few small timers....none of them have this model :(

Thanks Prabhu :)....an LG Brand shop in Bangalore (Koramangala Ring road) quoted INR 1.2 L. Unfortunately I could not test it as both the 50 & 60 inchers were out of stock.

Should I wait for the 2011 release or there isnt anything of that sort in pipeline?...I all honesty, I am dud when it comes to electronic gadgets & expert suggestions from fellow members would be of supreme value to me in making a wise spend :)

Thanks in advance

If you aren't in a hurry to get one, I'd suggest waiting for a couple more months to see what 2011 models make their way in to India, if for nothing else the 2010 models would then be cleared out with attractive discounts and you could land yourself a good deal. :D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back