Surround Speakers

arun malur

I have finally, after getting plenty of inputs from knowledgeble people here, and auditioning, decided to go in for the following upgradarion :

Onkyo SR 605

Quad 22 L2 FS

Please advise wether I can use my present Pioneer HTIB Satellite Speakers which are in excellent condition as I would not like to go in for new ones immediately, since my movie viewing would be limited. The Fronts and Surrounds are each of 40WPC RMS @ 6 ohms and a powered Sub of 65W. Can I club the front & rears to make only two rears? if so, how do I go about it? does the colour coding have any significance except while hooking it up?

Awaiting your feed-back. Thanks

I believe a 7.1 AVR will generally allow you to bi-amp the fronts (by routing the surround-back signal to the fronts as well) but not sure this can be done for rears. Also it is probably not a great idea to place two 6-ohm loads on a single speaker output. Of course the experts here will be better placed to advise.

P.S. What are you using as the centre? Is it the Quad L2-Centre?

Thanks Particleman. Yes, the Centre will also be Quad L2. Sorry, I once again checked the impedence of the surrounds and it is 8 ohms and not 6.

Two speakers with an 8-ohm load each if connected in parallel will present a 4-ohm load to the AVR (formula being (load of spk 1 * load of spk 2) / (load 1 + load 2)). This is assuming it is an average load of 8-ohm each and does not dip further. Please be doubly sure your AVR can support this or else it will fry! Frankly its not worth the risk if you ask me but perhaps those with actual practical experience with making such connections will be better placed to advise.

Yes particleman, I am inclined to agree with you as it makes sound sense, pun intended! While browsing, I checekd C-net and there was an article which mentioned about hooking-up multi-brand components and that it needs to be checked with the manufacturer and only JBL speakers are thus compatible.

In short, I also feel, rather than blowing up an expensive AVR I can as well dispose off my existing system as-is-where-is basis and invest on Quads as and when needed.

Thanks

Hi Arun

Congrats for purchasing Quad22L , i will suggest going for a Quad centre and Surrounds and also u can try upgrading the Onkyo because Your quad deserves even better receiver.
And regarding the Htib surrounds dont ever connect these speakers to your system. Its not only a improper match , but may also cause damage to your speakers and sometimes the receiver too.

regards

I have finally, after getting plenty of inputs from knowledgeble people here, and auditioning, decided to go in for the following upgradarion :

Onkyo SR 605

Quad 22 L2 FS

Please advise wether I can use my present Pioneer HTIB Satellite Speakers which are in excellent condition as I would not like to go in for new ones immediately, since my movie viewing would be limited. The Fronts and Surrounds are each of 40WPC RMS @ 6 ohms and a powered Sub of 65W. Can I club the front & rears to make only two rears? if so, how do I go about it? does the colour coding have any significance except while hooking it up?

Awaiting your feed-back. Thanks

Congratulations on the purchase buddy. Which city are you from? I am interested in hearing the Quads.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back