Synology NAS connection with Integrated Amp (with internal DACs) thru USB

abawa

Hi
I m a newbie here, but has been reading post for long.
i currently own follwing HT setup - Denon x1100w, Pioneer AJ5.1, Sony 42W900B and use Synology NAS 215J with Asus N18U router for all my media needs.
This year, i plan to have dedicated quality stereo setup with limited budget.
Since my primary source of media is from Synology NAS and would like to have less components for quality stereo setup, latest range of Integrated Amps with internal DACs with USB ports interest me most.
Amps like
Marantz PM6005 /PM7005
NAD 356BEE
Now, Synology supports external USB DAC and we can use DS audio to control playback. But list of officially supported external DACs is very small and none of above company DACs listed there.
So if any of FMs have any experience or idea of above Amp DACs working smoothly with Synology NAS with USB connection, kindly share.

If the above planned setup works out, it would save me of extra component in the setup for streaming.

Thanks in advance
-Anil

I also use a Synology for audio streaming(214j) and wonder if a networked player( an amplifier that also plays through the network) is an option? I use Squeezeboxes but have a prepro that offers this option.

It depends on the USB standard and implementation, but most NAS systems don't work as source/transport via USB. You can easily fix with a Raspberry Pi or install something like MinimServer on the NAS for wireless streaming.

The other option is to go with a supported external DAC, but you will still be limited in terms of apps and applications. Gapless playback is still a no for most.

@GeorgeO : I m using Denon x1100w which is networked Amp + DAC, and it is working fine with Synology NAS. The problem is good budget Intergrated Amps like ones mentioned in post do not have network capabilities. i was looking if Synology NAS USB port can be directly connected to these Amp DACs ditrectly and NAS contents accessed by them seemlessly, without the need for extra components in the chain.
@regeHA : What u say is correct. Not heard of many NAS supporting USB DAC, but have come across thru internet that popular USB DACs like Dragonfly works fine , even though not listed in Synology official list. So wanted to know i can go about my setup without anything other than Amp, NAS and speakers.

@regeHA : What u say is correct. Not heard of many NAS supporting USB DAC, but have come across thru internet that popular USB DACs like Dragonfly works fine , even though not listed in Synology official list. So wanted to know i can go about my setup without anything other than Amp, NAS and speakers.

Verify with the DAC manufacturer and also Synology before you commit to anything.

I've not come across/used any myself though.

Also, a NAS is better served as a server and not so much as a streamer. Especially if any resampling is involved.

I've tried it both ways... played direct from the NAS (MinimServer) and via Raspberry Pi and I prefer the 2nd option. I've also used 2 PC setups with a NAS and a Windows PC. The better option is to use the NAS only as a server and use a front end small PC for streaming duties.

Think of it this way... you can use most NAS' as a torrentbox, but not a good idea to keep the disks spinning all the time. Better to use a Pi with a 64 or 128 GB USB or SD card and let that do the d/l and then simply transfer to the NAS. I would choose a similar approach even for DAC/server/streamer duties. Let the NAS serve the files, use a SOC or small PC with s/w to function as a streamer and to connect to the DAC.

Finally, the NAS will be extremely limited in scrolling through your library, serving up album art, generating playlists, etc. For that a front end system like a PC or a Pi is better. I've over 2000 CDs and NAS' just don't have the interface or apps that make it easy to view the entire library... especially if you are coming from something like JRiver or Foobar where the GUI is a huge plus point.

Also in terms of SQ, its Linux all the way. Go with a PC + Daphile or Pi + moOde setup and it will beat all Windows and Apple PCs with any media player.

Hi regeHA

I have a plan to start a mini HTPC like new respberry pi2 soon. My main purpose is to download torrents in Pi instead of downloading them in the laptop which runs overnite. I have few doubts about the pie will it support storing a 25 - 30 gb movie file on a 1 TB or 2 TB USB hard disk connected while downloading the torrent? Also with its inbuilt 1 GB Ram will it able to read my 1 TB or 2 TB hard disk connected to it and playback my movie without freeze or should I stick with my laptop for downloading..

Last edited:
Hi regeHA

I have a plan to start a mini HTPC like new respberry pi2 soon. My main purpose is to download torrents in Pi instead of downloading them in the laptop which runs overnite. I have few doubts about the pie will it support storing a 25 - 30 gb movie file on a 1 TB or 2 TB USB hard disk connected while downloading the torrent? Also with its inbuilt 1 GB Ram will it able to read my 1 TB or 2 TB hard disk connected to it and playback my movie without freeze or should I stick with my laptop for downloading..

I've used with a 1 TB external HDD (with power adapter) and it had no issues. Now it connects to the NAS.

For torrentbox get an SD card or USB 3.0 of 64GB or 128GB. Since you are going with the Pi for power saving then you might as well go all in. Pen drive or SD card is better than spinning HDDs, and will last a long time.

Regarding 25-30 GB movies for video playback and HTPC, I'm not the right person. My Pi is purely audio and torrentbox. Check with Sam9s about using it for video playback with the likes of OpenELEC. I use an i7 HTPC + Oppo + AVR + NAS myself for streaming video.

Verify with the DAC manufacturer and also Synology before you commit to anything.

I've not come across/used any myself though.

Also, a NAS is better served as a server and not so much as a streamer. Especially if any resampling is involved.

I've tried it both ways... played direct from the NAS (MinimServer) and via Raspberry Pi and I prefer the 2nd option. I've also used 2 PC setups with a NAS and a Windows PC. The better option is to use the NAS only as a server and use a front end small PC for streaming duties.

Think of it this way... you can use most NAS' as a torrentbox, but not a good idea to keep the disks spinning all the time. Better to use a Pi with a 64 or 128 GB USB or SD card and let that do the d/l and then simply transfer to the NAS. I would choose a similar approach even for DAC/server/streamer duties. Let the NAS serve the files, use a SOC or small PC with s/w to function as a streamer and to connect to the DAC.

Finally, the NAS will be extremely limited in scrolling through your library, serving up album art, generating playlists, etc. For that a front end system like a PC or a Pi is better. I've over 2000 CDs and NAS' just don't have the interface or apps that make it easy to view the entire library... especially if you are coming from something like JRiver or Foobar where the GUI is a huge plus point.

Also in terms of SQ, its Linux all the way. Go with a PC + Daphile or Pi + moOde setup and it will beat all Windows and Apple PCs with any media player.

your points seem to make me more interested to look into Pi and explore all it can do. Mayb i'll use Intel Edison board instead as i work for them :). Gud project to take up down the lane.
Currently, NAS is able to perofrm all my basic streaming needs, so mayb i'll take my small Synology NAS to showrooms to check its compatibilty with above Amps and take up from thr. Thr is scope to request Synology for official support as well if it is required.
Thanks everyone for all the inputs.

I've used with a 1 TB external HDD (with power adapter) and it had no issues. Now it connects to the NAS.

For torrentbox get an SD card or USB 3.0 of 64GB or 128GB. Since you are going with the Pi for power saving then you might as well go all in. Pen drive or SD card is better than spinning HDDs, and will last a long time.

Regarding 25-30 GB movies for video playback and HTPC, I'm not the right person. My Pi is purely audio and torrentbox. Check with Sam9s about using it for video playback with the likes of OpenELEC . I use an i7 HTPC + Oppo + AVR + NAS myself for streaming video.

May I know which Oppo player are you using? I am searching for a good blu ray player. Kindly suggest a good bluray player with good audio n video capabilities.

May I know which Oppo player are you using? I am searching for a good blu ray player. Kindly suggest a good bluray player with good audio n video capabilities.

BDP-105D. I also use it as a CDP and for SACDs too. If that's not a requirement then the BDP-103/BDP-103D should also be fine. The BDP-105 has better DAC and better analog output. For use as transport there will be no difference between the 103 and 105.

I've not seen a side by side comparison of both, but I'm inclined to think video performance will be the same as both use the same components. The 105 only has a better DAC for audio and that's only useful for audio CDs.

Hi regeHA

Mini HTPC and torrent box will be two different things and I would not recomed to combine the two. If you want to use your rpi as a 24x7 running torrent box, I would recomend two approach, raspbian with transmission and more secure and professional Deluge approch with setting up VPN and all. Both these guides are available below...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=51219

How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into an Always-On BitTorrent Box

I will take the second approch ....

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back