Tamil film music in Chennai

Hi jeeva,

Thanks. I stand corrected.

Guys here is a link to a wonderful forum for Tamil songs lovers. You can find some wonderful songs on this link. Browse thro the dhool.com and you wont be dsappointed.
Saravanan's picks - Saravanan, who moonlights as a Tamil Film Music historian, selects a song each week and writes on it. These are his picks.

Song Of The Day Collection

Guys this guy Saravanan writes form the gulf and does extensive research on singers, music directors and song writers.

You can hear the songs on this site too. Just follow the links.

cheers,
sri

The day could not have got any better.

The day in question being wednesday, marriage day. I was in Chennai for the wedding of my cousin's cousin (sounds like the HDFC insurance ad guy going to calcutta for some weird wedding). The day before that was quite terrible. I had to catch a flight from Delhi to Chennai which reached at some odd hour. The day before that had been even worse, having to sleep at 2 am and wake up at 6 am.

But from wednesday morning, things got just better and better. The wedding was at 5.30 am (in olden days, i think this was a cruel trick to get the groom to wait for eternity before he got his hands on the bride). The ride to the hall was quite nippy at that hour. Unnikrishnan and Sanjay Subramaniam kept us company with the wonderfuel duet CD of theirs in the car. The coffee on arrival was made in heaven. The key parts of the wedding got over in quick time and we were down at the breakfast table. First came crispy vadas, soft idlis, tangy sambhar, softer chutney, spicey podi. As you thank God for these mercies, another thambi appeared with hot and silky pongal. Before you could pinch yourself, another peria thambi appeared with, believe it or not, fluffy dosas. The last thambi appeared with kasi halwa. The day was worth its wait. Somehow after this treat, i was not content with another round of coffee. Off we went (thats by dad, my real thambi and his fiesta) to Sangeetha for a special tea. That was the start of the day and the film music is not even on the horizon, the day is great already. Music appears much later in the horizon. We went back to the marriage hall, caught up relatives, pulled a few unsuspecting legs and generally hung around till lunch time, which comes quite early in these weddings. By 12 we were through with another round of made in heaven south indian marriage lunch. By the time we got home, sleep should have overtaken the energy. But greed is an even better temptation. We put on the musis system (blasphemy in this forum, a philips DVD cum VCD cum CD cum what not player with strobe lights).

Bismillah Khan and L Subramaniam wove magic in this concert (do i call it Jugalbandhi or fusion or what?). Then some Mysore Doreswamy Iyengar and before i knew it, we struck 3. I did something wonderful till 5 but i will come it later.

We headed off to Marina from Velachery (where my chinna thambi stays). Lilting stroll in the sand and after a while we (dad and I) headed to Mylapore where i was supposed to drop him off, while i tool around. He convinced me to drop in to RK Sway Auditorium. Kumari (then i think, dont know about now) Kanyakumari was being felicitated by many people including Dr Balamurali Krishna, who was supposed to only speak. We reached in time for the concert that was scheduled. Much against my wish i was made to stay back for it and i thank my senses. It was the son and daughter of Lalgudi. From the back row at the beginning of the concert, we could move to the second row by the time they finished. Wonderful two hours in some melting violin.

Off we headed to Saravana for a crispy dinner and a repeat of the made in heaven coffee.

The wonderful thing in the evening that i did was to head to Connexions in Velachary for browing the topic of the thread. Managed to locate a CD of Salangai Oil and Shankarabaranam. I had not listened to Shankarabaranam for maybe two decades. That and many digitally mastered 24 bit film compilations from Oriental (the one that i have tried so far - Udhaya Geetham and Idaya Koil sounded OK) were in the bag at the end of that pleasing buying session.

Coffee, Breakfast feast, Lunch, music, music shopping, beach and stroll, concert, saravana and coffee - The day could not have got much better.

Many thanks for the connexions tip. I am now heavier on music with some 8 film compilations that i have to listen to.

Regards

Ram

Hai srr,

Pl check ur Salangai Oli CD, The Hit song Thakita thathimi song would be missing.

N Murali

Hi vortex,

I really want to start a thread on him asking guys to list their favorite SPB songs and their nostalgia too. But not all guys here are followers of tamil songs. If it is ok i will start it.

cheers,
sri

Oh please do! I joined this forum primarily to talk about Tamil music. Esp SPB songs. And TMS. And S Janaki. And P Susila. And.. you get the drift...!

The songs I listed are all part of the Top 40 songs by sale of CD's and play requests. This was transmitted by Radio City the weekend that just went by. Not bad, eh?

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back