Tata sky or Airtel digital tv

Sairam

Want to buy dth i think it should be tata or airtel which will be batter mostly i will be seeing cricket, movies(eng&hindi),news can you also sugest which package to go far try to give channel list, price of packs,topups etc
i live in chennai
regards

Last edited:
picture qualitywise Airtel is marginally better than TATA sky.
The Airtel and Tata sky STB has no component out. Sun and BIgtv have that.
Airtel has the advantage of using the same remote for your TV and STB.

Ratewise all of them are the same.
the fleece you with channels bundled together.
Since DTH does not come under the TRAI or whatever act, they do this bundling of channels which is not possible if the medium is normal cable tv with STB.
the South package wll cost you around 200 rs and you will have to shell out another 125 rs for all the sports channels plus movie channels. whatever package you choose you will end up paying atleast 3/4th of you money for channels which you will never watch, beacuse of the bundling.

It's hightime TRAI brings DTH also under the same guidelines as cable tv..

want an honest answer? go for big tv. way better than the both of them. u would hav to tolerate the stb problem though.

Want to buy dth i think it should be tata or airtel which will be batter mostly i will be seeing cricket, movies(eng&hindi),news can you also sugest which package to go far try to give channel list, price of packs,topups etc
i live in chennai
regards

Here is the following wrt services in Pune:

picture wise

Airtel: 8/10
Tata Sky 7/10
Dish TV 7/10

Overall Service

Airtel: 5/10
Tata Sky 8/10
Dish TV 7/10

VFM

Airtel: 6/10
Tata Sky 8/10
Dish TV 8/10

Well for an all india perspective Tata Sky is way better than Airtel & Big TV anyday. Even it edges out dish wrt service in certain states. For Tata you can opt for the South Jumbo pack (works out to be 310 pm plus Ten Sports (20 p.m.) and Star Sports & Espn (40 p.m.). You should be covered here.

I think Tata sky is the best. But do ask tata sky or Airtel to check out the antenna placement. I had problems with Tata Sky not being able to find a signal with highrises all round (when finally found everything is fine now) - Airtel on the other hand has the antenna that can be placed almost verically for reception.

One more thing - Though Tata Sky does not have a composite connection (standard box) picture quality is more or less the same. (Never tried it together) though on first impression Airtel just edges out TS by a whisker.

Hi,

While I have Tata Sky, my cousin has Airtel.
It depends on what your options are weighed against the options/features that are offered.

It was after sales service that I got comfortable with the person thru' whom I booked for Tata Sky, while for my cousin it was the WordSpace Music Channels that got him hooked on to Airtel, because when we compared the price and bundling the price was to close for a similar set of channels, also we did see the picture quality at some of the outlets and there was not too much to distinguish between the two.

So compare all the different inputs like bundling, price, Service, features and then list down your priorities, which will help you to arrrive at a decision else most of the times we end up becoming more confused as we explore more and more options as it was in my case.

Cheers

Hi,

While I have Tata Sky, my cousin has Airtel.
It depends on what your options are weighed against the options/features that are offered.

It was after sales service that I got comfortable with the person thru' whom I booked for Tata Sky, while for my cousin it was the WordSpace Music Channels that got him hooked on to Airtel, because when we compared the price and bundling the price was to close for a similar set of channels, also we did see the picture quality at some of the outlets and there was not too much to distinguish between the two.

So compare all the different inputs like bundling, price, Service, features and then list down your priorities, which will help you to arrrive at a decision else most of the times we end up becoming more confused as we explore more and more options as it was in my case.

Cheers

Ditto:cool:

Airtel has the best interface, has a universal remote, and gives you worldspace music, and slightly better picture than tata.

Tata Sky has a good interface, outstanding customer service.

Dish TV has picture comparable to Tata Sky, inferior interface (although multiple sets of favourites can be put, which is not there in tata), and terrible service.

Big TV has the best picture easily, but terrible interface, and indifferent customer service.

There really is no clear cut winner, but I use Tata Sky, and even after evaluating everything else, i've not found it compelling to switch. But if I was a new customer now, I would probably go for Airtel.

The one advantage I am thinking with regard to Tata is that since they partner with SKy and Sky are at the forefront of DTH broadcasting in the UK (and probably in the world), they will find it easiest to roll out HD broadcasting, and at that time it may be a bit cheaper for an existing tata sky customer to upgrade to their HD box. But this is just speculation.

want an honest answer? go for big tv. way better than the both of them. u would hav to tolerate the stb problem though.

well i went for big tv because it has component out,well before it was launched commercialy,i also have airtel digital tv but i would glad pick the airtel above big tv,since not only does there big tv stbs suck,but their customer care sucks, if it all u happen to change from one package to other ,they will continue to charge for the older packages,and u never know where ur money is going,and this has happened to me and many other people.and rarely do they stick by there 48 hrs service time.and that big tv symbole being big and red is quite annoying especialy in news channel and sports channel.
so stay away from big tv.

I am using Airtel DTH since last 4 months. Very good quality of reception and uninterrupted service , . Customer support has been excellent.

I have Dish TV and Tata Sky. Both are good, priced similarly. In terms of customer service though Tata is way ahead, but then I've not needed much customer service from either of them so cannot say Dish TV is bad in that department. Just that Tata's response time is good. Just bought the package and they were there the very next day to install and fix things up. PQ of Tata is good, but Airtel too is good.

IMHO you'll not be going wrong with either. Stay away from Big TV though. Terrible service.

i agree with moser on the same, i have been using both dish and tata sky from over 2 years, service and customer care of tatasky is the best, easy to recharge packages online and in terms of hardware i find tata sky STB's to be best and durable, same with dish tv also never faced any issues,

Airtel is new and will take time to settle down, the best part of tatasky is if u go for multi room option they only charge rs 125 per month, which is the cheapest among all dth providers,

how about the channel changing time? which among the 3 has least channel changing time?
tata/dish/airtel ?

airtel uses the same software as tata sky but different User interface so its same compared to tatasky,atleast i havent noticed any difference b/w them.

I am using Tata Sky Plus, this STB has Component out (560i) and Optical/ coaxial out for audio

Tata Sky or Tata Sky Plus both are user friendly

Bibhuti Shaw/ Patna

My local cable operator has given us a digital STB with 135 channels.

So yes it is CAS, but at least I see no difference in reception when compared with Airtel / Tata / Dish (which of course I saw at a neighbour's place).

The STB has a coax outs, from which I feed the video to my TV and the audio to my avr or the tv as the progam demands.

The picture quality has improved significantly from the earlier cable feed and the total damage is only Rs.500 for the STB.

The subscription remains at about 150 per month for the 135 channels.

Coudn't be happier with the deal, particularly when Airtel wanted to sell me their IP TV for Rs.4000!!!

So give this option a chance and stay away from the Fleecers.

Last edited:
I have Dish TV and Tata Sky. Both are good, priced similarly. In terms of customer service though Tata is way ahead, but then I've not needed much customer service from either of them so cannot say Dish TV is bad in that department. Just that Tata's response time is good. Just bought the package and they were there the very next day to install and fix things up. PQ of Tata is good, but Airtel too is good.

IMHO you'll not be going wrong with either. Stay away from Big TV though. Terrible service.

I have Dishtv too & dont face any problem except I had to change remote sensor of settop.That time they took 2wks for silly thing & service centre is in Mumbai only.

Has any of you in the south bangalore,Hyderabad or Chennai tried the Hathway STB the signal comes via the local cable only instead of the dish I get all possible channels sports movies news regional etc for Rs.200/m and could hardly make out any difference btwn the PQ of hathway and PQ of tata sky which my neighbour has its that good.

My opinion is if in your region Hathway is available its worth checking it out you dont have to subscribe to any package or anythg jus the normal Rs.200 you pay every month and you get to see every single channel. I paid Rs.500 for the STB.

Moreover all these DTH providers tata,dish, airtel, bigtv all keep juggling the channels around so without any notice they have been known to remove some channels from the package.

Just my opinion hope I dont get blasted for bringing in a low profile service provider into the DTH mix.

Very few ppl knows abt this option(Hathway STB) which is available to them in South India.

Unless someones gonna provide HD signals(which I dont see happening before second half of 2010) stick with normal cable if the service is good in your area.

Oh yeah. A couple of people I know got this instead. You continue paying the same price to the local cable guy and all the channels come. PQ is as good as Tata Sky or any of the others, only investment is the STB which costs Rs. 500.

Has any of you in the south bangalore,Hyderabad or Chennai tried the Hathway STB the signal comes via the local cable only instead of the dish I get all possible channels sports movies news regional etc for Rs.200/m and could hardly make out any difference btwn the PQ of hathway and PQ of tata sky which my neighbour has its that good.

My opinion is if in your region Hathway is available its worth checking it out you dont have to subscribe to any package or anythg jus the normal Rs.200 you pay every month and you get to see every single channel. I paid Rs.500 for the STB.

Moreover all these DTH providers tata,dish, airtel, bigtv all keep juggling the channels around so without any notice they have been known to remove some channels from the package.

Just my opinion hope I dont get blasted for bringing in a low profile service provider into the DTH mix.

Very few ppl knows abt this option(Hathway STB) which is available to them in South India.

Unless someones gonna provide HD signals(which I dont see happening before second half of 2010) stick with normal cable if the service is good in your area.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back