Tata Sky vs. Dish TV

Neal

Tata Sky vs. Dish TV

Being fed up with the shoddy service (poor reception, no choice of languages for the chaildren channels, etc) provided by my local cablewalla, I am planning to move from my local cable walla to either Tata Sky or Dish TV.

Any member in this forum with experience with either of the Direct to home service provider? I am thinking of signing up with Dish TV as they offer more channels but then they do not have multiroom subscription for additional TVs!

Just wondering what to do??

Hi Neal,

I too was looking for the difference between the two and this is what I found at http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Tata_Sky_TV-108433-1.html

Hi friends,

I am regular reader in this site for the last 3 months and i would like share some key difference between the two DTH

In my house my brother has got Dish TV

in room using Dish maxi for last 1.5 year having Zenega CD 1005s recever with soft ware version 1.54.

Two weeks back I subscribed to Tata Sky with humax settop box in my room

Now I am in a psotition to give out some basic difference in these both Packages in adjourning rooms in same building.

these are the main diffrences between two services .

1.HARDWARE

Dishtv Average
T Sky V V Good

2. Instalation

Dishtv Average
T Sky Highly Profesional

3. Activation

Dishtv After 4 days
T Sky withen 10 minuts

4. Signal strength

Dishtv 59%
T Sky 80%

5 Signal quality

Dish tv 72%
T Sky 100%

6 Channel fade out in rain

Dishtv Frequently
Tsky Not even once till date

7. Video & Audio

Dishtv Like scratched CD
T sky Pure DVD Quality

8. Time taken in changing channels

dish tv takes double the time than t sky

9. No of channels

Dish Tv Only 114 (Note 50 channels are of DD 2 channels of TV lanka 1Channel of CGN TV it is rubbish to claim that Dishtv
has more than 150 channels as is said by some members)
Tsky 58 High quality channels

10. Coustomer care service

Disttv Bad than worst No manners as how to talk to Coustomer.
Tsky Good

My advice to friends who are yet to subscribe

IT IS BETTER TO PAY SOME BUKS MORE FOR TATA SKY RATHER GO FOR DISHTV

Looks like this person prefers Tata Sky to Dish TV althogh they do not offer all channels.

Another vote for Tata Sky at http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Tata_Sky_TV-109301-1.html

It has been 2 weeks now since I got tatasky installed at my home and I must say it?s been a marvellous experience till now.

Ok lets start from how I started:

Making the Choice
------------------

I went to a dealer near my home. I got his address from www.tatasky.com . There were 5-6 dealer nearby but I choosed him cos he was the dealer of both dishtv and tatasky. So i went to this showroom and got the demos for both dishtv and tatasky. The first difference tht I noticed was picture quality was way much sharper and clear in tatasky than dishtv. I was there for abt 20 mins trying to choose one and I noticed tht dishtv got the picture freezed 2-3 time in 20 mins and tht day it was clear sky :( . I enquired abt the

channels available on both and dishtv had whopping 150+ compared to tatasky 60-65 but I was told they will be soon keep adding them. Most of them I wanted were there except HBO so I thought i can live with it and opted for tatasky. So I paid the guy 4550 Rs and brought home the digicom(STB) and account recharge coupon (550 rs for 3 months). Tht dealer made the call to tatasky customer care and placed my order for installation.

Installation
-------------------

Inside 2 days I got call from tatasky customer care enquiring if I wil be available at home tht day. I was there so I asked them to come. They gave me 1pm timing and they were there at right 1 pm. There were 2 guys and they brought the mindish (60 cms approx in diameter ) and their equipments with them. So straight away we went to the roof and they started checking the signals. They were insisting tht they need 80% signal strength to start installation but it wasn?t going above 75-78% cos of walls around (although dth could even work with 55-60% signals but they kept saying tht its company policy to not install at any location where they can?t get 80% or above cos at time of rain it causes prob). Luckily at one place they got 83-84% signal strength :) . They drilled at 4 places on the wall and fixed tht dish on the wall.After installation of dish he landed 3-4 heavy punches to it just to show tht it will not move from its place even in case of storm. After installing dish they did the wiring. They neatly pinned up the wire to the corners. After wiring they attached tht wire to digicom and one wire from digicom to my TV. He called customer care and got my digicom activated. The r providing 15 days viewing without any recharge but after tht u have to use ur recharge coupon. Tht guy then have the demo of how the remote will work and other functionality. It was very easy to understand those functionalities.

Viewing experience
---------------------

The first pictures I got on my TV amazed me. I never knew cable can come so clear :) . Ur TV remote will be of no use after getting tatsky installed cos channels , volume can be changed using digicom remote. Their remote is so featured enriched. Also there digcim software is so cool. It groups the channles in different categories like entertainment, movies, sports, kids, news and knowledge, music etc. Under each category u can find channel names with the current show they r showing and u can even see wht will be next. It has a full listing of next 24 hrs.One can even set reminder for future listed program and it will remind u when tht progarm start by flashing a banner on the screen. Whenever a new channel is added or there is any info from tatasky the screen top displays a yellow envelope and the alert light of digicom starts up. U can read tht alert by pressing the yellow key. In last 2 weeks they have added 7-8 new channels so they r adding new channels as told by the dealer. One can also demand a movie but it is quite expensive 75rs. As per customer care rates will come down as the subscribers keep increasing. Now one can watch discovery, disney, nat geo etc in english or hindi. We can set the language and its very easy and very nice feature too. Then there is active feature . Pls read this abt more details on this feature : http://www.tatasky.com/tv_gets_actve.htm . Sry it will be very long to explain this feature. In short its a real nice feature. One can see scorecard , highlight, stats, graphics etc simuntaneously while watching a live cricket match. Few days back it rained very very heavily and the signals went down for not more than 1 min. It showed a blue screen and the software itself gets the signals adjusted and the picture was back as clear as ever. It kept raining for around 45 mins thtr heavy and signals never blinked again. One feature which I was most impressed with was the Program/Movie synopsis. It show the storyline of the movie Its very useful in deciding if one wants to see the movie. Impressive !!!

Pros
-----------------

1. No more calling cablewalas to show star sports at the time of F1 or any other channel.

2. No more bad picture quality and downtime.

3. Right now its cheaper than cable rate. Not sure abt future.

4. Stunning picture quality and its uniform on all the channels.

5. Many new features which most of us haven?t seen with local cable operator like active tv,
language change, Setting favourites, Program listing, Program/Movie synopsis and many

more.

6. Very helpful customer care.

7. No loss of quality in reception at the time of rain.

8. "State of the art" thing.

Cons
-----------------

1. No Zee package as of yet. Zee is the last thing I bother abt but I do miss HBO very much and cartoon network too :)

2. If u don?t have MTNL or BSNL landline then u have to call chandigarh (STD) for any help. I have Airtel so I know . They could have provided a helpline number in delhi too.

3. Movie on demand is expensive as of now.

4. Total cost of 4500 Rs. Isn?t it too much ?? Had it been lower they would have got many more subscribers by now.

Advice
----------------

If u can spend 4500 rs then go for this. U will not be disappointed.

Note: I am attaching 2 images to provide u guys an Idea of functionality. Sry for bad image quality but I don?t know how to get a clear image of TV screen using my digicam. It always come like this.

Cheers
Arun

Hi Jagat,
Let me know that Tata sky also receive FM radio on this dish TV? such as RED FM,Radio Mirchi, Radio City, Radio One all this Radio chanel also heared from this dish? pls.reply me.

Last edited:
great review so detailed and covers all the aspects too............nice work ..thanks a lot..now i know what to opt for

Hi Jagat,
Let me know that Tata sky also receive FM radio on this dish TV? such as RED FM,Radio Mirchi, Radio City, Radio One all this Radio chanel also heared from this dish? pls.reply me.

Hi Jagat,

TataSky does not provide any FM or AM radio services. For more info call them:

From MTNL/BSNL lines: 1-901-425-6633
From other lines: Western India: 020 - 6600 6633
Northern India: 0172 - 6600 6633
Southern & Eastern India: 040 - 6600 6633

Satisfied Tata Sky subscriber here - two set top boxes and one dish.

Installation was a breeze. Dish installed securely. Wires properly laid down along the walls.

Signal quality is better than standard cable connection(although the STB's only have analog connections - wonder when they will have STB's with either S-Video or Component connections).

Features such as language selection and favourite channels come in handy. No radio service offered.

CR

Satisfied Tata Sky subscriber here - two set top boxes and one dish.

Installation was a breeze. Dish installed securely. Wires properly laid down along the walls.

Signal quality is better than standard cable connection(although the STB's only have analog connections - wonder when they will have STB's with either S-Video or Component connections).

Features such as language selection and favourite channels come in handy. No radio service offered.

CR

Fail to understand the expenditure of Rp 3990+3490=7480 for 2 STBs and Rp 300+100=400 p.m. to get signal for the same what the old cablewala used to give for 100-200 p.m. I hope things would be better with Bharti and Reliance also joining the fray. Btw why do you need Rp 1500.00 Digilink to connect another TV without any monthly charges when RF out exists on Set Top Box?

Can you please reply after crosscheckink with Tata Sky.

Thanks.

I subscribed to Tata Sky last October. Only paid 50% of the cost for the 2nd STB. One STB is needed for each TV set - unless you are willing to go to the other room where the only STB is located each time you want to change channels.

I subscribed to Tata Sky last October. Only paid 50% of the cost for the 2nd STB. One STB is needed for each TV set - unless you are willing to go to the other room where the only STB is located each time you want to change channels.

Tata Sky says Rs 1500 Digilink Box for second TV connection with out 100 P.M. charge else 3490 for second STB with 100 pm charge with option of two progs for two TVs.Can somebody tell that ordinary TV booster will work for second TV or not.Rs 1500 is too much of a charge for Digilink.

I hope govt. introduces CAS for the entire country to stop the loot of satellite TV players and also the hardware should be available for very low rental so that customer is not tied to one service provider.Any body listening in TRAI or I&B ministry.Present cost works out to Rs 400 per month for one TV and Rs 600 per month for two TVs if you take the amortization cost of STBs in to account.Is it not a real loot and needs to be stopped with iron hand.I invite some customer org to come forward and take this up with the concerned authorities.

Hi

I had a ONIDA TV which has 8channel selector button without remote also it has only RF input where i connect my cable TV now. I can't preset more than 8 channels as my TV can store only upto that. beyond that i have to tune my TV. I see one of my friend uses a set top box which has RF out and my friend connects his cable wire to it and change all the channels thru remote. that STB also supports aux video in where he connects video output of DVD player.

Now can i use the same method to my TV. my TV can accept only RF input. can i buy a STB like Beetel and connect the cable TV to the STB and scroll the channels to it with a remote so that i don't have to depend on my TV for channels for scrolling.

Can some one reply to me. i don't have any VCR.

I have only a TV which can accept only RF input and has only 8channels and i have not subscribed to any DTH. I'm thinking of using a STB as it can be used to scroll channels as my TV can support only manual selection of 8 channels.

I will connect my cable TV wire to STB and use the STB remote to scroll channels. the RF out of the STB will go in to TV.

Hi

I had a ONIDA TV which has 8channel selector button without remote also it has only RF input where i connect my cable TV now. I can't preset more than 8 channels as my TV can store only upto that. beyond that i have to tune my TV. I see one of my friend uses a set top box which has RF out and my friend connects his cable wire to it and change all the channels thru remote. that STB also supports aux video in where he connects video output of DVD player.

Now can i use the same method to my TV. my TV can accept only RF input. can i buy a STB like Beetel and connect the cable TV to the STB and scroll the channels to it with a remote so that i don't have to depend on my TV for channels for scrolling.

Can some one reply to me. i don't have any VCR.

I have only a TV which can accept only RF input and has only 8channels and i have not subscribed to any DTH. I'm thinking of using a STB as it can be used to scroll channels as my TV can support only manual selection of 8 channels.

I will connect my cable TV wire to STB and use the STB remote to scroll channels. the RF out of the STB will go in to TV.

If you TV has only 8 channels then you should get a STB to scroll the many channels. I do not think you have any other options.

So i can connect my cable wire to a STB like beetel and i can use the RFout in the STB to connect to my RFIn of my TV.

Thank you

Hi
Thanks for the reply. Yesterday i went to the store to buy it. the dealer told he is not sure if the cable wire can be connected to the STB, I told him that im going to connect it to the Antennae IN of the STB. he said he is not sure ans asked me to double check it.

Are you sure the STB will accept cableTV input to the Antennae IN (its a RF input)

LETTER to DISHTV Customer Care

TO WHOM SO EVER IT MAY CONCERN!!! (if it is at all concerned)

Hi,

I have a Dish TV connection with a VC number 01505092038 and I want to get rid of the connection because of which my blood pressure has gone up in the last few days.

I had filed a complaint with your customer care (so to say). They told me that the connection is deactivated and will activate the connection for me, which they did and told me that I have Rs.150/- balance in my account. Even then I was still not able to view any channels. Then started the round of calling the Customer Care number which I have called atleast 20 times in the last 18 days. Finally they send 2 technicians on 4th June and they detected the problem as no signal strength or signal quality. They rectified the problem that I started gettiing the signal strength but to my NOT SO SURPRISE - guess what - STILL NO CHANNEL, that I could see on the screen...NO MOVING PICTURES, I started cursing the inventor of Television - John Baird but I really should have cursed DIshTV or ShahRukh Khan maybe.

Anyways again after 4th June the next set of 2 technicians on 11th of June and they stayed here for 5 minutes and switched off and switched-on the TV for 10 times and told me nothing could be done. They called their supervisor and he told me that I don't have a balance in my account thats why I am not getting any channel.

Although I did give a piece of my mind my guess that didn't matter because noone - right from Customer Care professionals to their Supervisors to their managers, to the technicians. to their bosses, right till Subhash Chandra wants to take any responsibility. I don't know what kind of a freak show is he running but it sucks, and suxcks BIG TIME.

Shucks, I forgot to tell how I got the connection. Well no prizes for guessing it right... in a similar fashion...After purchasing the connection it took 15 days to get it running.

Then in February I had to shift house and guess again what happened took another 20 days to transfer from my previous residence to the existing which is hardly 10 houses away .

Anyways coming to the point.... I WANT THE FREAKING FULL REFUND of the connection as I am SYRRENDERING not getting it DEACTIVATED and I don't wanna go to the Dealer. I want YOU GUYS to take some responsibilty and REFUND my connection.

Thanks,

Vipul Gaur

Hi Vipul
I doubt your letter would be of any concern to these so called big companies. In india, still customers are not taken seriously
I used INCABLE STB for 1 year, only to view my cable directly rather then trhough the STB because it always used to freeze through the STB because of weak signal. In one full year they could not rectify it.
But seriously these people should be taught a lesson. Its the same everywhere. Interne connections, Cable TV
We cant delay the payment by even one day but there is no account how many days we go without proper service

Tatasky says you can "change" your channel package through their website. Its true, but you can only add channel package, you cannot remove.:mad:
If you want to remove, you will have to call their customer care (which is an STD call from Bangalore).:mad::mad:

Hi,

Vipul you are not alone buddy !! almost everyone who an equipment curse the responsible persons for that particular equipment !! Reason in India no one wants to take responsibility for anything :( , they play the blame game thats all ! at the end of the day we the hard working people who spend the money sweating out all day have no option to call for any help ! the so called consumer court is just name sake in india and does almost nothing !!

Now I can understand if someone posts saying Am totally wrong and its not the case BLah Blah !! coz Am not talking bout the few lucky people who always get what they want !! Am talking bout the Majority who suffer from these companies !!

Regards.

Back