Teac CD Player CD650P from US, should I worry about Customs?

crosstalk

Hi,

I am planning to buy the Teac CD player CD650P from US. Costs around $140. It is an entry level player. I plan to put in the check-in baggage. My question is should I have to worry about

1. Customs mishandling the unit?
2. Imposing a customs duty on it?

The per head allowance is Rs. 35,000/- now. But I guess the customs have their own rate and if the don't have, they make up one.

Any experiences of similar situations?

If you are hand carrying it why not look for Marantz refurbished models of 5005 or 6005 you might get it at the same price $140 or round about. Check it out musicdirect or some other site

Dont worry... once when I came back from US I brought an xbox 360 console, a media player, a DVD player, a mini drone, couple of electronic toys, a bunch of blue rays and five bottles of single malt scotch... I walked out through the green channel and no one at customs was interested..

Recently I also bought in Denon x2300w from Dubai, with same result :)

Hi,

I am planning to buy the Teac CD player CD650P from US. Costs around $140. It is an entry level player. I plan to put in the check-in baggage. My question is should I have to worry about

1. Customs mishandling the unit?

2. Imposing a customs duty on it?

The per head allowance is Rs. 35,000/- now. But I guess the customs have their own rate and if the don't have, they make up one.

No need to worry , get the bill along and put it in the check in bag with the packing , if customs ask show the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

if you hand carry it, no worry. You can walk free. I have got my denon avr and oppo player without any customs.

Hi,

I think you are making a mistake. If I remember correctly the permitted allowance is Rs 50,000/- now.

https://nricafe.com/india-announces-baggage-rules-2016-raises-free-allowance-to-rs-50000/

You can carry the unit in it's original box and walk through customs without saying anything. It IS duty free. If they ask, tell them its a disc player. Very unlikely they will ask the cost. But carry the bill or print out from the Net. Show it only if asked. You are not a criminal ! Show only when asked. You can boldly walk through the green channel. If anyone does stop you and ask I bet he would be looking to see if you are flustered , which would be so if you had a large amount of other dutiable stuff in the box ! But quite unlikely.
I walked through with an OPPO player in it's original box. They never asked me anything....at Chennai.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back