Technics 1200

you can consider project turntables. 1200 may be a good turntable, but at that price you can find much better ones. Or try a used one in ~10k range. You can put a brand new cart on it and it is as good as new TT. I too have a used TT and I have put a brand new cart on it.

if you have a pal visiting the US, it would be the best way to get hold of one, should cost your about $1000 (by the way, they used to cost about $450 - new, when they were still in production)...nevertheless, stay away from 110volt electronics with motors...they tend to run a bit slow when used with a step-down....could be due to the 60 Hz, 50 Hz thing!! However the Technics SLs are quartz controlled and hence are pretty non reactive to this and anyways, our Indian electrical supply cannot gaurantee a 50Hz supply...If you are bent on technics, try a pre-used SL3200 for instance...same kinda technology (without the pitch slider)

Last edited:
@akd.

Let me few things out of experience. Its just my personal opinion.

1. SL-1200 is indeed a very good TT and highly overpriced at the moment. The prices are not expected to rise in future. It was sold in millions. Sellers are taking advantage of the situation. The prices were just about $700.

2. All said and done. You may be obsessed with this TT. I was too. But I want best for my bucks.

3. If you look around with a neutral mind you will find many TTs better than this one. If you search around you will find people preferring Thorens, Rega over Technics for HOME use. Have a look at Rega RP3-24 for eg.

4. I am not sure why are you averse to used ones. Probably the bad experience. I am too because I like my item new. But I ended up buying a used Thorens TD 125 Mk II with SME 3009. You should be aware that there are dealer overseas who rebuild the entire TT, service them and offer warranties. It is not much expensive than DIY way.

5. My advise is that look around again with open mind. I say again, Technics is a hell of a TT but right not the best for bucks. Go for it ONLY if you are obsessed with this brand.

@TaureanBull
correct only I don't agree that price will not increase in future, I don't plead my self but most of the stuff that usually we buy through proper channel in India is quite overpriced, does MARANTZ,DENON, PRO-JECT, WHARFEDALE have a special price for India, NO - its just conversion of $$ + taxes, am I wrong?

yes I am obsessed, I hv seen it functioning, its way above its league, a rock solid tank which lasts for a life time and blows away most of its competitor

well, give me an example in that price range which is better than 1200, one can only make comparison with P3-24, it is an excellent TT, but it doesn't hv VTA and one has to again go for special after market VTA adjuster and then using spacer one will experience problem with closing the dustcover and will hv to change the counter weight, I don't like spending so much of money and compromising at a single aspect! if you don't believe me go ahead and read what P3-24 users hv to say, having said that yes it is also an excellent TT

bro, I hv had used TT in past, no issue, its also a good option but I am not traveling abroad and its a possibility if you are staying for while in abroad, in India I can get used ones but simply I don't want to, no special prejudice, BTW I appreciate your choice and more than sure you will have years of splendid listening pleasure, have you decided upon the cartridge?

I hv been reading and searching for almost a year now, I have not got any alternative to it, and I already have a Pro-ject Debut III (under 30 hrs) so Rega RP1 out of question as they are close, P3-24 I don't want, want 2 buy a new direct drive, may be you can give me some option under $1000 which are better than 1200.

@akd.

Let me few things out of experience. Its just my personal opinion.

1. SL-1200 is indeed a very good TT and highly overpriced at the moment. The prices are not expected to rise in future. It was sold in millions. Sellers are taking advantage of the situation. The prices were just about $700.

2. All said and done. You may be obsessed with this TT. I was too. But I want best for my bucks.

3. If you look around with a neutral mind you will find many TTs better than this one. If you search around you will find people preferring Thorens, Rega over Technics for HOME use. Have a look at Rega RP3-24 for eg.

4. I am not sure why are you averse to used ones. Probably the bad experience. I am too because I like my item new. But I ended up buying a used Thorens TD 125 Mk II with SME 3009. You should be aware that there are dealer overseas who rebuild the entire TT, service them and offer warranties. It is not much expensive than DIY way.

5. My advise is that look around again with open mind. I say again, Technics is a hell of a TT but right not the best for bucks. Go for it ONLY if you are obsessed with this brand.

Sane comments and advice ... made to insane audiophiles however :eek:hyeah:

Yeah one should not get carried away by hype. But I think this is one model that everybody believes they can purchase and save time on all the the pre-purchase research and by selecting this model, one overcomes dilemma of choosing something that will assuredly deliver.

Good reminder though!

--G

@TaureanBull
correct only I don't agree that price will not increase in future, I don't plead my self but most of the stuff that usually we buy through proper channel in India is quite overpriced, does MARANTZ,DENON, PRO-JECT, WHARFEDALE have a special price for India, NO - its just conversion of $$ + taxes, am I wrong?

want 2 buy a new direct drive, may be you can give me some option under $1000 which are better than 1200.

Ok. As I told you, it was my personal opinion and I fully respect yours.

When I say the prices wont increase, let me tell you that they wont probably go down too. Sort of stable prices. Its only a matter of time when all the boxed pieces are sold off! What after that?

A thorens and technics 1200 would be on same platform because you will have to buy both used!

What prices you have quoted for technics would be the price in India after taxes and shipping whether you like it or no. So, you can go ahead and buy. But I know the problem is that you yourself know that its an obscene price. It would be like that for the boxed new pieces. In case you REALLY want the NEW technics ONLY TT, my advise would be that just go and grab it. They wont get any cheaper (new pieces).

The amount you would spend on Technics, in lesser amount you can modify your Rega to max and save bucks too!

Just few more questions:-

- Does Technics have the best tonearm?
- What cartridge would you use and how much cost will that add to the TT? Or would be using the free one?
- Why the other brands surviving over Technics? Rather some are thriving.

Just a piece of thought. Still if you are not convinced then my advice would be buy it NOW at whatever cost before its too late.

In my opinion Technics does not have the best of tone arms, in fact it has ben considered to be its main draw back, Rega 101, 251, 301 are better

I hv a stock Ortofon 2M red, new, planning to use that

I feel Panasonic has stopped production because of their emphasis in other areas, they are over-contained with this, since 1972 roughly 3 millions units sold, so you get the survival point, I bet of they start production again this model will beat any model of any price because

its original price was way ahead of its league
it provides excellent possibilities of mods
its a work horse weighting around 12 Kg and can last a whole life time

Its for sure people still hv a wrong notion that it is a DJ table

In my opinion Technics does not have the best of tone arms, in fact it has ben considered to be its main draw back, Rega 101, 251, 301 are better

I hv a stock Ortofon 2M red, new, planning to use that

its a work horse weighting around 12 Kg and can last a whole life time

Its for sure people still hv a wrong notion that it is a DJ table

If that be so then you should be looking to change the arm (the Rega TT comes with this arm) if you are looking for good audio quality.

Dont mind but Ortofon 2M Red is not all that great for a $1000 (you would be paying $1600 upwards now) TT.

Truly speaking your Technics shall cost you at least $2000 for an upgraded arm and a decent cartridge.

Thats hell lot of money.

Thorens etc weigh about 18Kg. You wont believe that the Thorens I bought was built in 1975! Its still lasting and in very good condition. Infact when you see the tonearm you wont believe that its more than three decades old. All TTs are meant to last if you care for them.

Ok. About DJ turntable. This TT has average sound but superb ability to take abuse. This ABILITY to take abuse made it suitable for it to be used as a DJ TT. Its like buying an Indica which is well preferred by the taxi drivers.

But its no more VFM. And I am sure you would be using it at home with care not abusing it.

Just my personal thoughts.

If that be so then you should be looking to change the arm (the Rega TT comes with this arm) if you are looking for good audio quality.

Dont mind but Ortofon 2M Red is not all that great for a $1000 (you would be paying $1600 upwards now) TT.

Truly speaking your Technics shall cost you at least $2000 for an upgraded arm and a decent cartridge.

Thats hell lot of money.

Thorens etc weigh about 18Kg. You wont believe that the Thorens I bought was built in 1975! Its still lasting and in very good condition. Infact when you see the tonearm you wont believe that its more than three decades old. All TTs are meant to last if you care for them.

Ok. About DJ turntable. This TT has average sound but superb ability to take abuse. This ABILITY to take abuse made it suitable for it to be used as a DJ TT. Its like buying an Indica which is well preferred by the taxi drivers.

But its no more VFM. And I am sure you would be using it at home with care not abusing it.

Just my personal thoughts.

Great! Thanks for clearing the air TaureanBull. :clapping:

Now that some other names like Thorens are embedded in my mind, I can begin my search from a different point when I really decide to buy. Somehow a bad memory and lazy search habits made me default to Technics as a starting point.

--G

--G

good news, finally bought Technics 1210 Mk2, it took me more than a year to converge to a point, bought it from a seller in Germany, shipping done by DHL which took nearly 5 weeks

damage break up
TT $900
shipping $92
customs duty Rs. 8311/-

actually I expected duty around 13K but surprisingly it was less
its black model with european voltage selector, yesterday it took me almost 2 hrs to unbox, assemble everything, tone arm balance, VTA, anti skate adjustment and of course fitting Ortofon 2M red cartridge into the headshell

hooked it to HK3490+JBL ES 80, immediately noticed the authority, attack and more refined sound stage compared to my Pro-ject Debut III with Ortofon OM5e, I will be interested to observe the issue of inner groove distortion which will take some time I guess

I know how much I have tried for this one, sharing a picture with the Pro-ject alongside

Last edited:
Congratulations akd!! I am on the same path...now I have a target 1 yr at the minimum. Keep us posted on your impressions....

Last edited:
good news, finally bought Technics 1210 Mk2, it took me more than a year to converge to a point, bought it from a seller in Germany, shipping done by DHL which took nearly 5 weeks

damage break up
TT $900
shipping $92
customs duty Rs. 8311/-

its black model with european voltage selector, yesterday it took me almost 2 hrs to unbox, assemble everything, tone arm balance, VTA, anti skate adjustment and of course fitting Ortofon 2M red cartridge into the headshell

hooked it to HK3490+JBL ES 80, immediately noticed the authority, attack and more refined sound stage compared to my Pro-ject Debut III with Ortofon OM5e, I will be interested to observe the issue of inner groove distortion which will take some time I guess

I know how much I have tried for this one, sharing a picture with the Pro-ject alongside

Why you tempting me like this !! :eek:hyeah: :mad: :)

Congrats and happy listening. Do post a more detailed A/B comparo.

--G0bble

damage break up
TT $900
shipping $92
customs duty Rs. 8311/-

Congratulation AKD.Align your cartridge using stevenson protractor from Vinylengine.You will never have problem of inner groove distortion.

Regards,

Sachin

Last edited:
Congratulation AKD.Align your cartridge using stevenson protector from Vinylengine.You will never have problem of inner grove distortion.

Regards,

Sachin

Spell check 1 : You mean protractor ...

Ok it protects from inner groove distortion so its a protector also :eek:hyeah:

Spell check 2: And then the grove I know is a Mangrove

Uh oh ... I got too much time on my hands once again ... :rolleyes:

--G0bble

Spell check 1 : You mean protractor ...

Ok it protects from inner groove distortion so its a protector also :eek:hyeah:

Spell check 2: And then the grove I know is a Mangrove

Uh oh ... I got too much time on my hands once again ... :rolleyes:

--G0bble

Lol.

Gobble, you are posting at 7AM in the morning?!! You surely are losing sleep over your Vinyl/TT pursuit:eek:hyeah:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back