Technics 1200

That means any TT bought from US can be played using 120VAC down converter?

Regards,

Sachin

No, not any TT.
Omishra specifically referred to his Technics SL1200MKII.

Some TTs may use a Synchronous AC motor designed for 110V, 60Hz.
Unless the specific TT allows 50Hz operation via some internal
switch or rewiring, or using a different pulley, you will need a power supply
which can provide true 60Hz , 110V.
No substitute for doing adequate research before buying.

No, not any TT.
Omishra specifically referred to his Technics SL1200MKII.

Some TTs may use a Synchronous AC motor designed for 110V, 60Hz.
Unless the specific TT allows 50Hz operation via some internal
switch or rewiring, or using a different pulley, you will need a power supply
which can provide true 60Hz , 110V.

^^+1!
I think somehow my reply got lost.
I had looked into this aspect. This TT has internal regulated 20 VDC operation with power supply build using (25V secondary) step down transformer and rectifier, followed by regulator (38V input to 20V output).

It has quartz controlled DC servo motor. So no interaction with line frequency.

No substitute for doing adequate research before buying.

You are right Sir. :)

Last edited:
As far as I understand MK 2 was intended for the japanese market exclusively (100 volts). Thats the reason its a price catch. Performance wise some folks have it comparing to the MK2 though I dont ahve first hand experience with that.

There are some MK 2's still available as new but the price has pretty much doubled since last Dec (when Panasonic decided to stop producing the entire Technics TT line).

Amazon.com: TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 Turntable: Electronics

MK5 is essentially the same turntable as MK2 with the addition of a long-life pilot light, customisable brake speed and quartz lock button, along with a slipmat to replace the heavy rubber mat. Operationally they are nearly identical.

I guess you're referring to the SL 1200/1210 Mk II and III. What I was talking about was SP-10 Mk II/III.

I have a technics 1200 MK II. Would like to upgrade the cartidge to Shure M-44-7-H i.e. with Technics headshell. My fav genre of music Old Hindi soundtracs only. Can u guys pls help me to decide on this as there is a saying that M-44-7-H is for DJing purpose only.

One of the reasons for buying this cartidge is the hassle free installation and mid grade audiophile reproduction. I was quoted the price Rs. 4,200.

Thanks in advance

I have a technics 1200 MK II. Would like to upgrade the cartidge to Shure M-44-7-H i.e. with Technics headshell. My fav genre of music Old Hindi soundtracs only. Can u guys pls help me to decide on this as there is a saying that M-44-7-H is for DJing purpose only.

One of the reasons for buying this cartidge is the hassle free installation and mid grade audiophile reproduction. I was quoted the price Rs. 4,200.

Thanks in advance

Hi,
You can buy Shure Hi Fi M97XE from KAB KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com is $70 including shipping.This is a better cartridge than M-44-7.

Regards,

Sachin

Hi,
You can buy Shure Hi Fi M97XE from KAB KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com is $70 including shipping.This is a better cartridge than M-44-7.

Regards,

Sachin

sachin
I've not heard any of these two, plan to buy one in future. Its true M44-7 does add some thumping coloration but is at par with M97XE(in SQ) which is a proven one. the output voltage is a point where one needs to concentrate - M97XE being as low as OM5e until is supplemented with a solid phono and amp section its fidelity will not be apparent on the other hand M44-7 can rock the house at 12 O'clock position. Nevertheless M97XE is the best VFM cart from SHURE, its very close to V15 I guess both in performance and looks, my 2 cents

sourav, try other avenues also, SUMIKO, DENON, GOLDRING etc. DYNAVECTOR wud be too costly, but do read reviews from users, buying cart from ebay US/UK is the best option as the shipping is fairly low and options are plenty

Arnab

sachin
I've not heard any of these two, plan to buy one in future. Its true M44-7 does add some thumping coloration but is at par with M97XE(in SQ) which is a proven one. the output voltage is a point where one needs to concentrate - M97XE being as low as OM5e until is supplemented with a solid phono and amp section its fidelity will not be apparent on the other hand M44-7 can rock the house at 12 O'clock position. Nevertheless M97XE is the best VFM cart from SHURE, its very close to V15 I guess both in performance and looks, my 2 cents

sourav, try other avenues also, SUMIKO, DENON, GOLDRING etc. DYNAVECTOR wud be too costly, but do read reviews from users, buying cart from ebay US/UK is the best option as the shipping is fairly low and options are plenty

Arnab
Hi Arnab,
Shure M44-7 is not so good as it has conical stylus and tracks between 1.5 to 3 gm.M97xe has Elliptical stylus and it tracks 0.75 - 1.5.M97xe has low output as compared with M-44 but not too low and sq is definitely better than most of entry level cartridges and it has a option of SAS stylus from JICO.Ebay prices are higher than Amazon/kabusa for Shure M97xe.

Regards,

Sachin

if your going to play old hindi records, the m44-7 would be unbeateable, it has flawless tracking and can play almost anything with grooves on it, without skipping!!

friends, I'm very new to TT but getting fascinated by this piece of craftsmanship!... I never owned any so far... recently I saw on Sherwood pm-9805 in Oceanic, Pune and couldn't resist to ask for an audition. Mr. Sharma played my the Norah Jones (Come Away with Me) Vinyl ... it was good, or may be I can't say its nice because I've never heard an TT personally. The TT has Die-Cast Platter, Pitch Control, Illuminated Strobe, Manual Tone Arm Function, Hydraulic Lowering Device...it's quoted at 12k. Here's a pic of that: http://www.sherwood.de/images/products/large/pm9805.html

Strangely...later when I Google, I found it's very similar to 'Technics 1200' in look-n-feel.

(Though I can rationale that a 12k product can NOT compete with a 55k product in quality and durability/reliability), I have few questions in mind.

1. How is Sherwood as a brand? has it survived long in music industry while producing world class product? Or is it just a cheap clone?

2. will it reproduce good quality analogue music that is way ahead of digital formats e.g CD?

3. Dear experts, do you foresee a phase a 'back-to-vinyl' very soon see good TTs in India?

friends, I'm very new to TT but getting fascinated by this piece of craftsmanship!... I never owned any so far... recently I saw on Sherwood pm-9805 in Oceanic, Pune and couldn't resist to ask for an audition. Mr. Sharma played my the Norah Jones (Come Away with Me) Vinyl ... it was good, or may be I can't say its nice because I've never heard an TT personally. The TT has Die-Cast Platter, Pitch Control, Illuminated Strobe, Manual Tone Arm Function, Hydraulic Lowering Device...it's quoted at 12k. Here's a pic of that: Sherwood :: PM-9805

Strangely...later when I Google, I found it's very similar to 'Technics 1200' in look-n-feel.

(Though I can rationale that a 12k product can NOT compete with a 55k product in quality and durability/reliability), I have few questions in mind.

Its always nice experience to listen to new equipment and music. I woudl say sherwood is an average TT good for starters on a budget to get into Vinyl.

Re: its looks similar to Technics 1200 line, this is not the first time another manufacturer has copied it (Stanton, Numark and others). This is also no surprise since the technics has been out since 1972 and many people still crave for me (me included).

1. How is Sherwood as a brand? has it survived long in music industry while producing world class product? Or is it just a cheap clone?

See above

2. will it reproduce good quality analogue music that is way ahead of digital formats e.g CD?

This is hard to say and harder to achieve in my experience. Most posts simply categorically state this but in my experience it takes a good system to achieve this. Does a TT sound different than a CDP, very much yes, but beating it requires some effort and time and money.

3. Dear experts, do you foresee a phase a 'back-to-vinyl' very soon see good TTs in India?

I would not call it a resurgence in India though I would say its starting now as the hifi space itself is only a few years old. But its definitely a niche market. So, anyone who bets on TT and Vinyl just cannot survive. At best its a second job or hobby as you see it.

friends, I'm very new to TT but getting fascinated by this piece of craftsmanship!... I never owned any so far... recently I saw on Sherwood pm-9805 in Oceanic, Pune and couldn't resist to ask for an audition. Mr. Sharma played my the Norah Jones (Come Away with Me) Vinyl ... it was good, or may be I can't say its nice because I've never heard an TT personally. The TT has Die-Cast Platter, Pitch Control, Illuminated Strobe, Manual Tone Arm Function, Hydraulic Lowering Device...it's quoted at 12k. Here's a pic of that: Sherwood :: PM-9805

Its a cheap clone of Sl-1210.There is one Technics Sld-202 for sale in classified section of this forum you can audition this TT as seller is also from Pune.SL-D202 is a better entry level TT IMO.

Regards,
Sachin

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back