Technics Sl-1700 - my first turn table

anm

Hi
I purchased a used (abused?) TT from Meena Bazaar in old Delhi - thanks to ashokhifi for providing the address etc.

Juicy details - I have been thinking about buying a TT for last 6-7 months, and wanted an entry to the vinyl world. However, I couldn't find time/ courage to go to the place. Thanks to Metro coming to Noida, the parking/ commuting was eliminated from my thought process, and fri I went to that place. There were SL-Q3,SL-1600 and SL-1700 TT available. I wanted to buy 1600 but it was not rotating correctly, so I had to give it up. My second choice was 1700, with an original technics cartridge that played a couple of Hindi tracks nicely. I had no idea how to check the internals, I just listened to it for 10 mins and decided to go for it. People who went with me were in a hurry too. So finally, wrapped in a newspaper, I carried it in my arms (and another guy helped me) to my house. I had already acquired some records in last few months - so as soon as I reached home, I connected my HK6550 MM phono input to the TT, placed a record on the TT and it started playing fine.
Though it is playing quite fine, and I listened to quite a lot of records (mostly hindi, but a couple of tracks from Abba, Neil Diamond). The sound has quite a different character than CDs. At this point I am quite sure that I am getting close to the worst sound from a vinyl setup as it is using a very old integrated amp for phono/ pre/ amp. My lyrita pre doesn't have a phono stage so couldn't check that out.
Sound currently feels to have more bass overhang, and the vocals are sounding a little muffled. Do not know how to describe it in audiophile terms, but I think the magic of vinyl is yet to happen. Also the sound coming out from right speaker is lesser than left speaker. I do not yet know how to adjust/ fine tune the TT but I hope I will read through this forum and figure out in next few days. Surprisingly, all these old records do not have much pop/ crackle with this cartridge. Hope the pressure exerted on record is not eating it away slowly.
Any suggestions on checking the condition of tone arm, motor and other critical parts of the TT? I am hoping to replace the cartridge/ stylus soon based on recommendations on various threads. Though I would like specific recommendations based on this particular TT, if any.

Hi
I purchased a used (abused?) TT from Meena Bazaar in old Delhi - thanks to ashokhifi for providing the address etc.

Juicy details - I have been thinking about buying a TT for last 6-7 months, and wanted an entry to the vinyl world. However, I couldn't find time/ courage to go to the place. Thanks to Metro coming to Noida, the parking/ commuting was eliminated from my thought process, and fri I went to that place. There were SL-Q3,SL-1600 and SL-1700 TT available. I wanted to buy 1600 but it was not rotating correctly, so I had to give it up. My second choice was 1700, with an original technics cartridge that played a couple of Hindi tracks nicely. I had no idea how to check the internals, I just listened to it for 10 mins and decided to go for it. People who went with me were in a hurry too. So finally, wrapped in a newspaper, I carried it in my arms (and another guy helped me) to my house. I had already acquired some records in last few months - so as soon as I reached home, I connected my HK6550 MM phono input to the TT, placed a record on the TT and it started playing fine.
Though it is playing quite fine, and I listened to quite a lot of records (mostly hindi, but a couple of tracks from Abba, Neil Diamond). The sound has quite a different character than CDs. At this point I am quite sure that I am getting close to the worst sound from a vinyl setup as it is using a very old integrated amp for phono/ pre/ amp. My lyrita pre doesn't have a phono stage so couldn't check that out.
Sound currently feels to have more bass overhang, and the vocals are sounding a little muffled. Do not know how to describe it in audiophile terms, but I think the magic of vinyl is yet to happen. Also the sound coming out from right speaker is lesser than left speaker. I do not yet know how to adjust/ fine tune the TT but I hope I will read through this forum and figure out in next few days. Surprisingly, all these old records do not have much pop/ crackle with this cartridge. Hope the pressure exerted on record is not eating it away slowly.
Any suggestions on checking the condition of tone arm, motor and other critical parts of the TT? I am hoping to replace the cartridge/ stylus soon based on recommendations on various threads. Though I would like specific recommendations based on this particular TT, if any.
Anm, Congrats on your entry into the Vinyl world! Hope our experts are able to help you with setting up your TT and pre for the perfect sweet analog sound quality.:yahoo:

Hello anant,
congrats on your purchase and welcome to the vinyl world. I can imagine that you are dissapointed with the sound quality to begin with but I can assure you there is bright light at the end of the tunnel. Well couple of things you need to check are
1) Please clean in phono input of your integrated amplifier. I guess it hasn't been in use for a long time.
2)Take a small brush and clean the stylus very well.
3) Make sure you clean the records very well. Have you done all the wet cleaning rituals. Procuring some isopropyl alcohol is must for good vinyl experience.
Thanks.

Congratulation on aquiring your new purchase. I don't know much about Vinyl world but with whatever little experience I have of it is not great. Anyways I hope you have made a right decision and enjoy it.

WARNING!!

Make sure you clean the stylus with a stylus brush in a back to forth motion. Do NOT go from front to back as it might rip off the needle.

So back to front once...lift....back to front once.....lift.

Also, your azimuth settings must be off for sure (if you can hear more music from one channel than the other).

You're going to need to look into a few factors:
1) Cartridge alignment within the headshell
2) Recommended tracking force of the cartridge being used (VTF)
3) VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle)
4) Antiskating settings.

These are just from the top of my head. I suggest you start reading materials. Vinyl Engine is an excellent forum to register with.

It's a worth pursuit, don't worry about it. Also remember, patience is your best friend in the Vinyl world...if you find yourself getting frustrated at any point, just get up and leave. You can pick up where you left off later.

Read read read...there is no substitute for the knowledge you will gain.

Finally, if it ALL possible, have a knowledgeable person help you setup. It will make the beginning steps easier AND you can gain more confidence this way.

Oh and once again......CONGRATS!

Last edited:
Hello anm,
another option is download the manual for ur TT from the internet. It must have a troubleshooting section. I am sure it will throw some light. It will also probably tell you about cartridge alignment.
Thanks.

Hi anm,

congrats on your purchase of a TT. Btw how much did the technics cost ?. Where do you purchase LPs from I am very interested in getting some good LPs from delhi

Thanks everyone. I got the TT for 7k after some negotiation.
I think the TT needs some servicing, cleaning and lubing. I am enjoying the sound already, the clicks and pops are not bothering me as yet - they are not too much maybe because of the records or the cart. I hope it will get much better from here after adjustments etc.
Does anyone know a good person to get it serviced from, in ncr?

from the same shop you can pick and choose a lot of LPs. Then there are few people on forum who sell records.

regards
Hi anm,

congrats on your purchase of a TT. Btw how much did the technics cost ?. Where do you purchase LPs from I am very interested in getting some good LPs from delhi

The table says automatic, but at the end of the record, the arm is not coming back to the rest position. It does come back when I use the stop lever. What could be wrong here? I read somewhere that in 1700 automatic, the arm is supposed to come back at the end of the record.

Congrats Anm on your purchase

Take your TT to Viren's place. He's knowledgeable, intelligent and most important always willing to help...

Kindest regards,
--
helium

ok I figured out something. The point of automatic return is farther than the end of LP record. It is past the end of record, and about mid-way on the paper label. Now the needle doesn't go past the end of vinyl all the way to the paper.
Should it go upto that point? Will the needle/ stylus/ cart get damaged it if runs over the paper?
OR
can the TT be adjusted to set the point of automatic return?

regards

The table says automatic, but at the end of the record, the arm is not coming back to the rest position. It does come back when I use the stop lever. What could be wrong here? I read somewhere that in 1700 automatic, the arm is supposed to come back at the end of the record.

hi anand!

congratulations on your new purchase!!

hope you are happy with the sound, it must have been a good purchase for a start. enjoy your music.

regards,
abhishek.

thanks! I was completely set to buy the project, but thanks to metro I was able to visit this shop and I have picked one piece on impulse mostly. I hope it will turn out to be a good exp, otherwise all I have in my budget is project. BTW, do you carry shure 97 cart?

regards

hi anand!

congratulations on your new purchase!!

hope you are happy with the sound, it must have been a good purchase for a start. enjoy your music.

regards,
abhishek.

ok I figured out something. The point of automatic return is farther than the end of LP record. It is past the end of record, and about mid-way on the paper label. Now the needle doesn't go past the end of vinyl all the way to the paper.
Should it go upto that point? Will the needle/ stylus/ cart get damaged it if runs over the paper?
OR
Hi
Stylus will definately get dammaged if run on paper lable. looks like setting for autoreturn function is misaligned. Vinylengine website has free service manual for sl-1700 here is link (registration is free, very resourceful website for Turntables)
Technics SL-1700 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine
Regards

OR

regards

Yes the stylus return point can be adjusted. I think there is a screw near the base of the stylus where you can adjust the end of the record. Generally all LPs have the same ending point so adjust the same that it returns automatically. Better get the manual and start reading

Yes the stylus return point can be adjusted. I think there is a screw near the base of the stylus where you can adjust the end of the record. Generally all LPs have the same ending point so adjust the same that it returns automatically. Better get the manual and start reading

I think GENERALLY speaking screws near stylus will be for stylus alignment or holding stylus+cartridge. Anyway such negligible adjustment is not solution as stylus is travelling more than half of the length of record lable. normally these autoreturn based function are mechanical in nature with some gears and stuff and placed below platter or inside TT.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back