Tempted to buy Audio-Technica ATH-M50

RAC

Hi
Need advice on headphones. I was thinking of indulging in a pair of high end headphones. I was looking at a price below $150-$170. This will be bought in US, probably on Amazon.

I have flipped for ATH-M50 based on the reviews read. This could end up being a blind buy

Have shortlisted - Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for 140$ excluding taxes.
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable: Musical Instruments

The source of music will be ipod or phone. Maybe I can think of using my HT amp for listening to music on the headphones. I do not have a stereo set-up at home (which is next on my wishlist) and most of my music is played either in my car or on some Sony noise-cancelling pair of headphones.

Ps: I also do not own a headphone amplifier.

is there any better option within the same price range from AKG (AKG K 240 or AKG K 240 MkII ) or from Grado or Beyerdynamic for around $150?

At your price range, the AKG models you mentioned definitely are an option
A lot of people swear by the Grado SR80s too

All the heavier headphones tend to get very uncomfortable after couple of hours - and are not conducive to moving around either. So keep that in mind.

ATH-M50 are musical headphone,but with ipod n iphone it didnt shine much.With Samsung galaxy phone,it sounds very musical.Same with my old aiwa walkman.Also asus xonar.
So if possible,try demo.

To add to your list of consideration, experts rate the Beyer Dynamic 880 and Shure 440/840 very highly

grado SR60i is for USD 80 appro and SR80i is for USD 100 appro.

the SR60i they say is "more " suited for direct listening from ipod etc..

but do take a look at the design etc.. and fitment.

Many folks prefer more modern looking headphones but the Grados produce sweet music nevertheless.

if you are not in the market for a headamp in future.. it may not make sense to go for very costly headphones. Thats where the Grados ( mentioned above ) come in ( or other similar priced ones )

happy hunting !

mpw

Hi There!
I own a SR80i and have been eyeing M50 almost forever now! :) Every single review of the M50 I come across, seems to be positive.

However, please keep these few points in mind before making the decision:
1) SR80i leaks sound and is not suited for all environments where others get might get disturbed by the leaking sound.
2) Bass is not so impactful but definitely audible and very well nuanced too! Not as deatiled as my HF5s though. So you may feel comeplete lack of it when you are travelling or in noisy environments.
3) Cable is thick and bulky and gets tangled and since ear-cups rotate 360 degrees, cable on mine esp until the Y joint is so messed up and i keep wondering if some day one of the cups will stop producing the sound because its twisted enough already.
4) I wouldnt say i have a large head but these aren't comfortable at all after 30 mins. I tried to stretch the head-band but i stretch only so much so as not to break it. Maybe, its better if i stretch it little more but as per what i read, M50s are a comfortable pair.

Other than those points, i ABSOLUTELY LOVE the sound that it produces and often discover new sounds and subtle nuances in my fav. songs.

If points 1 & 2 are not a concern, then i believe you will definitely be happy. M50 might be better BUT, this is open-back and is better suited to re-produce intricate details as compared to closed style like M50. Extra 40$ might fetch you better sound overall but the differentiating factor should be open-back vs. closed-back.

And yea i heard Shures are good too.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back