The future of loudspeakers

RaahulT

Moderator's Note: posts related to the future of loudspeakers have been forked from this thread.

Perfect, tonally or otherwise, speaker of future will be a self learning speaker. yes, artificial intelligence based speakers will learn from how many times the listener is adjusting feed signals, in which zones, of what range and many other parameter. This speaker will not differentiate between users but between their tastes.

Perfect, tonally or otherwise, speaker of future will be a self learning speaker. yes, artificial intelligence based speakers will learn from how many times the listener is adjusting feed signals, in which zones, of what range and many other parameter. This speaker will not differentiate between users but between their tastes.
You are joking, aren't you?

Just curious. Where is this feed signal being adjusted for it to be measured ? In the current scenario.
In my little understanding and honest opinion,
In the current scenario, i dont have any answers.
For future, although feed signal input/change is happening at amp end, input to speaker is the impulses going into it and results in different patterns of vibrations, flux, heat depending upon material parameters. Machine learning has to take place at the result end that is at the speaker. We may even have to change the magnet/coil materials & size to crystalline or other nano-tech materials just as happened to data movement post fiber optics or photography post digitalization (which is science R&D part).

In my little understanding and honest opinion,
In the current scenario, i dont have any answers.
For future, although feed signal input/change is happening at amp end, input to speaker is the impulses going into it and results in different patterns of vibrations, flux, heat depending upon material parameters. Machine learning has to take place at the result end that is at the speaker. We may even have to change the magnet/coil materials & size to crystalline or other nano-tech materials just as happened to data movement post fiber optics or photography post digitalization (which is science R&D part).

Ok. Honestly that went completely above my head.

I think I will stay in world of deliciously heated vacuum tubes and some single malt for my tone fix ;)

Where did you find the joke exactly?
I was wondering if AI could also know the speaker positions, the ever changing listeners position, the DIY interconnects and speaker cables made by me, will it also know that I am using a tungsten based power cables, also will it know at what temperature my AC is on to adjust speed of sound, also the amount of ambient noise my room is facing from the road traffic, will it also know if I have taken my bath before listening ( my mood is different before and after I am fresh). Will it also know that now I am in a hungry mode, or I am joyful or sad. Will it also know if I got a promotion or not in office and adjust the quality of sound.

Most predictions done in the mid80s almost 95% of them never happened whether it was technology, financial, doomsday or war.

Umm.

Right now I am facing a problem with a null. What pray has the speaker, intelligent, sentient, smart or planar dumb got to do with it ? EQ of any sort cannot do anything about it. EQ or anything happening at/ before the speaker is still going to interact with the room and corrupt the sound/ tone at the other membrane typically a biological one sometimes in a microphone.

This other membrane is by the way self learning and many times actually intelligent :)

If your speaker have wheels or feet and dispense drinks as well, I will pass. As I will networked MRI machines.

edit: @Hari Iyer you have made this point many times but now I have seen the light :)

ciao
gr

Such a speaker already exists that incorporates highly futuristic technologies...only problem it has still not been built, but can be purchased.

The Moon Audio (higherfi) Opulance....2 million USD for a pair

Following terms are used in its description.
Only 10 to be made...but not a single one made till date from 2011
Uses technology used in stealth fighters, tactile submarines, nuclear reactors, magnetic control system and weighs 1 ton per speaker

The best part of the futuristic technology which has since been removed from the website
Its optional Dark Star technology decouples the speaker drivers and delivers music into the listeners brain, bypassing the ears. All other traditional speakers have produced sound which arrives at the brain through the ears. Dark Star is perceived as delivering music INSIDE the listeners brain and can be fully experienced with the ears completely plugged. This is the only speaker in the world with such technology.

I'm still waiting for an injection of quantum physics into this discussion:p
Here you go.
All froms of energy Viz sound, light, heat, magnetism, electricity and so on are mostly quantum in nature and exist in a medium. The density of the medium is important for preserving its originality. The electrical travel at the speed of light to the speaker coil but there is a one more energy source - magnetism that is required to convert the electrical energy to sound energy. The sound energy travel at a much smaller velocity than the electrical energy at the voice coil Also heat energy is produced in this process of converting electricity to sound through a medium. Medium can be artist, studio, recording, source, amplifier, IC, speaker cables, speakers, room, electricity and you. Every aspect of the medium is important in the whole audio chain. Macro and micro co-exist everywhere and not in isolation.

I was wondering if AI could also know the speaker positions, the ever changing listeners position, the DIY interconnects and speaker cables made by me, will it also know that I am using a tungsten based power cables, also will it know at what temperature my AC is on to adjust speed of sound, also the amount of ambient noise my room is facing from the road traffic, will it also know if I have taken my bath before listening ( my mood is different before and after I am fresh). Will it also know that now I am in a hungry mode, or I am joyful or sad. Will it also know if I got a promotion or not in office and adjust the quality of sound.

Most predictions done in the mid80s almost 95% of them never happened whether it was technology, financial, doomsday or war.

All of the scenarios mentioned above can be achieved by AI in future. Not sure whether we'll be alive to see that day or not. Regarding commercial fully featured product which will enable those features like mode detection and all ... It's just a matter of time. Like you said, it's definitely depends on what multinational brands want and if they find it profitable.

Anyway, we are getting accustomed to AI day by day. Be it speech recognition or night mode photography.

All of the scenarios mentioned above can be achieved by AI in future. Not sure whether we'll be alive to see that day or not. Regarding commercial fully featured product which will enable those features like mode detection and all ... It's just a matter of time. Like you said, it's definitely depends on what multinational brands want and if they find it profitable.

Anyway, we are getting accustomed to AI day by day. Be it speech recognition or night mode photography.
If they do it it will be a matter of survival for them. It's also their bread and butter

And of they eventually achieve it an Audiophile will say - ' It's okay, but it smells wierd"

Totally agree. AI possibilities are endless and they are imminent. Within last 15 yrs, phones became smart. Within 2 yrs they will be intelligent. Our homes are already smart, will become intelligent within our lifetime. Technology for Tapping of smells of human body/sweat, temperature, pulse, heartbeats, motion, movements, etc is already confined in a watch size. Its embedment in smart gadgets to make it work for many other things is due already.

Some things don't change - transformers and speakers are one of them imo.

They won't change for sure and no one is expecting them to change.

Black-n-white tvs, radios also didn't change. They became obsolete. No one knows for sure what lies in future.

They won't change for sure and no one is expecting them to change.

Black-n-white tvs, radios also didn't change. They became obsolete. No one knows for sure what lies in future.
I think the speakers and transformers in the B&W TV of the 1960 still remains same even in today's Morden TV. Only they have gone smaller due to SMPS supply and compact screen depth.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back