The long march for amplifier for Mini Dancer, second set became three sets

srramanujam

The march stated mid 2008. With a lot of trepidation i set aside 60K for my 2 channel system (http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/2705-options-2-channel-system-around-60k-music.html), started my first thread and asked for advice.

The budget inexorably inched up and at some point of time i spent way way above that for my speakers alone, partly nudged by my wife's veto of floorstanders. (http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/...-floorstanders-found-smartest-surest-way.html).

I then started the long search for amplifiers. (http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/9274-amps-usher-mini-dancer-help-me-decide-budget-brand.html)

The amplifier march was far more intense, since i had to convince dealers to let me listen to amps at my home. Some i managed to, some showed me the door, some were polite and just looked at the door.

During the long march, i listned to Simaudio Moon (first love, snatched away even as you are writing the small poem to woo her), Parasound New Classic Series as well as Halo (A23 and A21 i think), Quad 909, Usher R 1.5, Odyssey, Operetta, Leben, Shindo - Some fleeting thoughts on Accuphase, Ayon, Audire, Primare, Plinius.

Given the constraints ( i had to listen to them with my speakers) the choices narrowed down to what Sridhar himself had (i could listen with Mini Dancers in his listening room) and what i could get home for a few hours.

At some point of time i was torn between Shindo Preamp and Leben integrated. As i tried to find an answer for that dilemma, Sridhar suggested that i speak to an owned of Leben in Bombay, who ended up being as a long lost friend. In another odyssey to borrow an amplifier, i almost toppled an Emerald Physics. Spent some of my longest silent times with my brother while listening to Leben and Shindo together at ARN, dragged Dinyaar into all kinds of conversations, got my little son familiar with terms like preamp.

In the end, i have choosen Shindo Preamp (that Sridhar had put on sale) and a pair of Odyssey Khartago monoblocks, which were available from a user.

The Shindo has arrived in New Bombay (so that i can avoid paying some precious octroi to our eternally fund starved Government), the Khartagos will hopefully arrive soon.

I proudly announced to my wife that we will start listening to music next week, then i realised that i need cables (Sridhar is sending one IC, i still two more for the power amp, and the speaker cables). I realise i am going to be tying myself up in knots on this topic. My wife is relieved and feels i will actually listen to music rather than fantasise about it.

Thanks to many many people for helping in this part of the march, and thats going to be a separate post with a long list of names.

By early next week i will have all the components and a Samsund DVD Player :)sad:) to act as a source for sometime. If i dont get the cables in time, i will set up all the components and imagine sound travelling between them. You are welcome to join the fantasy.

Interesting story. Curious why you never gave any thought to the source while you were running after a pre and power? Or do you have some candidate audiophile sources in mind that are waiting to be auditioned?

Regards

Thats an end to one debate! Hurry, and get some recommendations and grab enough ICs and speaker wires, so that you can start to listen to music! Even if it means going to sleep listening to Vatsalyam played on the Samsung DVDp.
Congrats on the amp, rather pre-power combo!

Hi Ram
Congrats on your new purchase
Glad to know that now you can sit back and enjoy the music after a long wait. But I think the wait was worthy enough as youy have assembled a killer setup.

congratulations but errr...samsung dvd player as source on a gazzillion rupee audio amp and speakers :rolleyes:

Congratulations, Ramanujam. I am pretty sure you'd be happy. Based on my reports the Khartago monoblocks should make your MD1 speakers sing. In my opinion you have made the correct decision of going with the monoblocks over the Leben integrated because your speakers are very power-hungry IMO and would be happier with the monoblocks at the moment of acute need or in a larger room. Are these the Khartago extremes? What is the cap reserve of your monoblocks? Although I have never heard a Shindo, based on my reading on these, I probably would have gone for a Leben pre, because Shindo could be more mesmerizing, but the Leben preamp may be tonally more accurate. These are expensive business, and your decision was probably made by the sale that was on offer. However, I do not think you perhaps cannot do too much wrong with either. Read the fascinating discussion here: 6moons.com - letters & feedback

On ICs, the one you are getting from ARN is probably going to be the AA IC-3 which is excellent. However, it takes nearly 150/200 hours of burning in to sound at its optimum. I hope you can wait that long.

Regards.

On ICs, the one you are getting from ARN is probably going to be the AA IC-3 which is excellent. However, it takes nearly 150/200 hours of burning in to sound at its optimum. I hope you can wait that long.

hi Asit,

i wonder, sometimes, why somebody does not sell "burned-in" ICs and other connecting cables at a premium ?(compared to the same cables new).

for example -

"Venus ropetrick IC extreme" - buy now for $8770/- (0.75 metre) - we also sell the same IC burned in by a proprietary process (300 hours 0.3 ma to 1.2 amps continuous cycling) - you pay $1876/- premium (per cable)

regds

suri

Hi Suri,

Actually they do. Go to the Audio Art cable site and you'd find they are charging a small amount (used to be USD 5, not sure now) extra for a fully burnt-in cable.

Regards.

People do sell at a slight premium after it has been burned in a cable cooker (looks somewhat different from a pressure cooker ...) :)

In fact Mr. Murthy here has such a device.

Regards

Hi,

@Ramanujam,I second Bala's statement that you are the most patient audiophile.Congratulations on your new purchase.Hope you enjoy several years of great audio from your HIFI.

Anticipating your posts in your quest for source components.You were contemplating a HTPC if I am not mistaken.

It is not my intention to derail this thread,and start another disscussion on cables,but I share Paul Klipsch's views on certain audio theories.

BS Lapel Button Gear - Overview

I am the first to agree that cables make a difference but 150-200 hr.burn in for cables?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Suri,

Actually they do. Go to the Audio Art cable site and you'd find they are charging a small amount (used to be USD 5, not sure now) extra for a fully burnt-in cable.

Regards.

HI ASIT,

thanks - good to see you and Pratimbayal back here.

regds
suri

Gobble, Rajiv

Thanks. I did look at many sources and at some point even started a thread. From the point of convenience i prefere a PC or a hard disk based source. I believe there would be future technology that would make reading redundant. I still havent spotted a good solution. A PC provides this, but is quite cumbersome in the drawing room. For some time i also looked at Olive HD, but that is frightfully expensive. I am still trying to figure out if there is a hard disk player that has good digital out. That will let me invest in a good DAC and it could make a reasonably future proof DAC. Maybe i am dreaming.

A temptation has also been to look at CD Players. The review of CA 840 and Ayon sound tempting, but i am not sure if the DAC quality in these match up to a good quality external DAC (say benchmark or Peter Daniel NOS DAC).

Would love some feedback from you.

Sachin

The samsung DVD is my only option for the time being. So i would have to pretend that i havent paid for the amp and speakers. I will still like the music though.

thevortex
3rd set - I dont even know what game i am playing. Seems like Las Vegas.

Asit
They are Khartago extreme monoblocks. The reviews are very positive and i hope my experience too will be.

The ICs are Audio Art IC-3.

Suggestions on source are most welcome. Dilemma now is a) At what budget does a dedicated CDP outperform a PC + Good DAC like benchmark. b) Are there any hard disk or media players with top quality digital out.

There is also this small(!) job of cables, getting my wiring right, and the rack. The positioning of speakers is another musical chair. Lots of interesting work to do in the coming weeks. .

Gobble, Rajiv

Thanks. I did look at many sources and at some point even started a thread. From the point of convenience i prefere a PC or a hard disk based source. I believe there would be future technology that would make reading redundant. I still havent spotted a good solution. A PC provides this, but is quite cumbersome in the drawing room. For some time i also looked at Olive HD, but that is frightfully expensive. I am still trying to figure out if there is a hard disk player that has good digital out. That will let me invest in a good DAC and it could make a reasonably future proof DAC. Maybe i am dreaming.

A temptation has also been to look at CD Players. The review of CA 840 and Ayon sound tempting, but i am not sure if the DAC quality in these match up to a good quality external DAC (say benchmark or Peter Daniel NOS DAC).

Would love some feedback from you.

Sachin

The samsung DVD is my only option for the time being. So i would have to pretend that i havent paid for the amp and speakers. I will still like the music though.

thevortex
3rd set - I dont even know what game i am playing. Seems like Las Vegas.

Asit
They are Khartago extreme monoblocks. The reviews are very positive and i hope my experience too will be.

The ICs are Audio Art IC-3.

Suggestions on source are most welcome. Dilemma now is a) At what budget does a dedicated CDP outperform a PC + Good DAC like benchmark. b) Are there any hard disk or media players with top quality digital out.

There is also this small(!) job of cables, getting my wiring right, and the rack. The positioning of speakers is another musical chair. Lots of interesting work to do in the coming weeks. .

FYI Goodbye CD players, hello Bryston BDP-1 | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

One danger about not getting a good source is that you will base all your judgments about SQ of ICs and cabling on a poor DVDp that might end up misguiding you, which you will discover when you find that decent source you were looking for.

Regards

Congratulations on your purchases. A dedicated CDP would definitely be a major upgrade on your DVDP.

What budget are you looking at? otherwise the options are truly endless!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back