The Manav Malvai Zero Paisa Vinyl Cleaning Method

I use a product called ONZOW Zero Dust... it is quite effective and really gentle on the stylus.

Dear Forum members'

As I have posted earlier, only effective method is by applying isopropyl alcohol in de-mineralised water with surfactant and vacum cleaning. You won't even have to clean the stylus. After cleaning, the record will have to be put in a new sleeve preferably anti-static sleeve. The detailing that you can get after such cleaning is unbelievable. IMO all other methods are not good enough to bring the muck out of the inner groove.

kuruvilajacob

As I have posted earlier, only effective method is by applying isopropyl alcohol in de-mineralised water with surfactant and vacum cleaning. You won't even have to clean the stylus. After cleaning, the record will have to be put in a new sleeve preferably anti-static sleeve. The detailing that you can get after such cleaning is unbelievable. IMO all other methods are not good enough to bring the muck out of the inner groove.

kuruvilajacob

Hi,
What is the proportion to be used for isopropyl alcohol, dimineralised water, and surfactant?

Which surfactant do you suggest? Brand name? Generic name?

For vacuuming, do you mean the vacuum machinism usually found on record cleaning machines? Or is there some clever way to utilise household vacuum cleaning machine?

Thanks,
Joshua

If not a piece of cloth, the next best option is a 3M kitchen wipe. It is the most gentle material for vinyl, also very absorbent.

Dear Joshua,

I use 10 to 15 % Isoproplyle alcohol with demineralised water and a few drops of Easy liquid soap as surfcactant. You can use the Eureka wet and dry vacume cleaner with a pvc attachment with a slit to do the cleaning. Icould PM you the fullprocedure if you are really interested
Regds
kuruvilajacob

Dear Forum members'

The detailing that you can get after such cleaning is unbelievable.

kuruvilajacob
guys, this is hardly a news but if you are into vinyls at all, do yourself a favor- clean your vinyls. the detailings i am hearing right now after cleaning are here-
1: michael jacksons bad, track dirty diana in the end ensembly last 25-30 secs when sirens etc blowing sounds is there, i heard michaels crooning 'comeon come on... 'etc at distance. and i heard it for the first time in my life. have grown up listening to mj and these tracks. still.
the bigger surprise was on the next track. as the smooth criminal opens with a chord and heart beats, i heard michaels moans. it was so loud and clear i am wondering if this moans is some exclusive lp version of song. once again i ve practically grown up hearing the track. albeit on cds and cassettes and mp3 on headphone too. i can credit this to cleaning with the said method, sando substituted by microfiber cloth.
2: sajan s bahut pyar karte hain tumko sanam - the anuradha paudwal version had hidden 'jhankaar beats' deep down in opening verse itself that were unravelled after i cleaned the vinyl. i heard uncleaned and cleaned song back to back and could tell the difference.

like how manav said. i d add to that - use microfiber cloth and few drops of distilled water on vinyl. fold m/f cloth like manav describes and press hard on vinyl as you wipe in circular anticlockwise direction.
Hi,

For vacuuming, do you mean the vacuum machinism usually found on record cleaning machines? Or is there some clever way to utilise household vacuum cleaning machine?

Thanks,
Joshua
to convert a normal vaccum cleaner to wet cleaner is very very easy. use a watertight glass bottle midway in ur suction tube.

If not a piece of cloth, the next best option is a 3M kitchen wipe. It is the most gentle material for vinyl, also very absorbent.

microfibers will work wonders. wonders.
furthermore, i must add that this method isn t be all and end all. rigid old dust layer, that has enamelled the grooves wont go by this unless u wet/vacuum clean it.
hence for normal day to day listen, this method will increase the pleasure ten folds as also increase the wet cleaning intervals of a vinyl if you clean this way in subsequent listenings once you ve wet cleaned the lp.
lastly, propagate my message to those who dont visit this section of forum- do yourself a favor bros. feed vinyl signals to your system. at least once in lifetime. the tonality of mjs digital music sounded soo natural..... i realized what they meant when they said digital har harsh/brash edge to the tones.

to convert a normal vaccum cleaner to wet cleaner is very very easy. use a watertight glass bottle midway in ur suction tube.

Entsurgeon, how exactly do you mean that the bottle should be used? Would love to hear it in a bit of detail, so that I can extract some more "detail" from my vinyl.

take an airtight bottle. It can be of any rigid material, glass is preferred, but then making a hole is difficult.

You need to have two entry points to the bottle. You can use the normal one at the top for the exit out and make another hole at the bottom towards the side.

The hole at the bottom would lead to the cleaning brush/mechanism using a stiff tube, of the kind used in vacuum cleaning machines. The normal hole at the top is used to connect to the vacuum cleaning machine.

The idea is that the solid/liquid material collected by the brush would be sucked in to the bottle using the vacuum created in the bottle. The air would get sucked out by the top exit, leaving behind the liquid and residue in the bottle.

I am currently on this project and should be done in about 10 days time...pictures then...HTH

Suction Machine - Suction Machine Exporter, Manufacturer, Distributor, Supplier, Trading Company, Delhi, India
this is a medical suction machine here. it retails fm between 4-7 k. how ever since we in surgeries have to suck out body fluids, this suction uses a water trap. in fact 2 water traps. the 2 glass containers u see are the same. how they work is simple- instead of connecting the suction tube directly into suction motor: thatwill lead the water to go directly into motor and damage it in a jiffy: these guys forst connect the suction tube to one airtight jar. then this airtight jar is connected via another piece of suction tube to another airtight jar... finally this second airtight jar gives way to the suction tube. in effect these jars will develop vacuum when u switch on the cleaner but at the same time they will also act as trap for any fluid that gets sucked. this fluid will be retained in jar and wont go into the suction motor directly.- not a very risk free contraption for if the fluid amount is large, but to suck out trickles of water from lp surface this will be risk free. gopib posted in meanwhile and i agree with him .
gopibhai you wont need 10 days for this.-the reason i call this easy is- such a jar container is already supplied with eureka forbes v/c. euroclean ace and its comparable models its basically for spraying water and is used when suction tube is repositioned to exhaust port. however when we use this jar for our purpose we need to do 2 things:
1. airtighting the jar cap- use dough. atta. remember we neeed to open and evacuate the contents periodically. therefore no permanent measure like m seal should be used for airtighting.
2. the jar is basically a sprayer , hence its opening is small. tiny. the black plastic cover on opening should either be removed to be replaced after our job is done, or purchase another jar fm eureka. cut this sprayer section to woden out the opening and fit the final piece of suction tube here- its already provided in the set. if the fit is good, seperate airtighting is not needed. but if need be, u can use fresh dough here. this tube wont need to be removed often .
we get our wet cleaning machine ready for less than 300 rs including the cost of a new jar. in following pic link you can seee the white jar i am talking about.
http://images04.olx.in/ui/18/48/69/...f-attachments-for-all-purpose-Mehdipatnam.jpg
my own quota of pics is over . i request guy to download the pics and post here in our own server asap as external pics may get removed in sometime.

Last edited:
gopibhai you wont need 10 days for this.-the reason i call this easy is- such a jar container is already supplied with eureka forbes v/c. euroclean ace and its comparable models

entsurgeon. Thanks for this tip. However 10 days is my inertia time :lol: Should do it faster. Will post pics soon.

entsurgeon. Thanks for this tip. However 10 days is my inertia time :lol: Should do it faster. Will post pics soon.

also, the airtight jars with lids having two openings - that are used in medical suction available off the shelf at any good medical/surgical equipment shop. will come for abt 2-3C. all you need is to connect tube. beware, these tube lumens will be different from what vacuum tubes suction dia is.

>>>

I would like to have the opinion of the experts on the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner :

i. how effective is it?
ii. how to buy?
iii. cost?

Regards
issigonis

>>>

I would like to have the opinion of the experts on the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner :

i. how effective is it?
ii. how to buy?
iii. cost?

Regards
issigonis
I use Mr clean Magic Eraser(Original) to clean my stylus and its very effective.I have recommended to few FMs and they prefer it.It is available at ebay.

Regards,
Sachin

>>>

Thank you, I will check.

How about dry record cleaning brushes?

Regards

Dry record cleaning brush or Carbon fiber brushes are good for removing fine dust particles before playing record.They are of no use for stylus cleaning.The best method is to use vacuum to dry records.It will give you best results.You can use household vacuum cleaner for this purpose.

Regards,
Sachin

Dear Joshua,

I use 10 to 15 % Isoproplyle alcohol with demineralised water and a few drops of Easy liquid soap as surfcactant. You can use the Eureka wet and dry vacume cleaner with a pvc attachment with a slit to do the cleaning. Icould PM you the fullprocedure if you are really interested
Regds
kuruvilajacob

>>>

kuruvilajacob,

Can you please PM me the full procedure?
Thank you.

Regards
issigonis

the science of deep cleaning calls for the usage of detergent which works on surface tension.

Deep groove dirts can come out, if we use first the regular detergent to wash the intense dirt, and then apply a pure foam/lather scrub it to further foamy, there by the dirt sticks to the bubble layers, and once the bubble bursts, the dirts get loose and come to top layer. This is the technique used to take out the dirts from the carpet's pile root.

At the end, all the dust form of dirt brought out by the bubble burst needs to taken out. There you suggestion comes handy.. Vacumming is a must.

I use mild detergent to scrub the 78RPMs' first, and damp dry, and play it again in the gramaphone, to loosen the dirt, then do a foam scrub (Gillette shaving foam can) , wait to dry , hard dry , and then just do a dry vacum..

Simon

I have tried SpinClean system and found it to be the most effective.
I however did not try it with really dirty records.

Though the SpinClean fluid doesn't say the composition but I suspect it to be a mix of some surfactant, distilled water and maybe some alcohol. Any ideas as to what it contains ?

Gents - To add, I use an extremely soft tooth brush (handle bent) along with the solution. It indeed does wonders.

The Pop n Click is like zero to none.

P.S: After cleaning about 20-30 LPs in a seating.......your forearm muscles have been worked out :D

Cheers...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back