The Manav Malvai Zero Paisa Vinyl Cleaning Method

I used to use old banians, but then it used to end up with the first play piling up a lot of lint on the needle.

Got some microfibre towels off ebay. While not as absorbent as The cotton in t shirts, they don't leave anything on the records. They are good to go immediately after drying.
I use chamois (used for wiping car after wash) to wipe out dripping record and leave for drying on dish drying stand. And yes, compared to Amway car wash, 1/3 IPA + 2/3 water +1 drop Triton-X per 50ml solution works wonders. It sounds best silent record. Difference is largely audible.

Soap/Alkali makes vinyl brittle and could be that chip off after becoming hard.

Reason why I am asking is I do apply a special shampoo to clean my vinyls. It's not a hard shampoo but it creates lot of lather which helps in cleaning the dirt that's there in the grooves.

Reason why I am asking is I do apply a special shampoo to clean my vinyls. It's not a hard shampoo but it creates lot of lather which helps in cleaning the dirt that's there in the grooves.

Its a good idea to use very mild Shampoo,but in very small quantity.I use Amway car wash.Its very mild and does not leave any residue.

Regards,
Sachin

My method:-

Equipment :-
1. Two spray bottle.
2. Nitty Gritty Nylon Brush.
3. VPI fine brush.
4. Audioquest antistatic carbon fibre brush.
5. An old HMV turntable.
6. Microfibre cloth.

Solution:-
1. 70% DM Water, 30% Isopropyl Alcohol, Five Drops of Prill Liquid (in 1 litre), 10 drops of TritonX 100.
2. 80% DM Water & 20% Isopropyl Alcohol.

The method:-
1. Place the record on the platter.
2. Spray SOL 1, it will get into the groove within 2 minutes. leave for for 2 minutes more.
3. Apply Nitty Gritty Nylon Brush -- clockwise five times & anticlockwise five times.
4. Wipe off the SOL 1 gently by Microfibre cloth.
5. Apply SOL 2 generously & use the VPI fine brush to rinse the surface properly.
6. Apply Microfibre cloth to take off the SOLs & leave it to dry.
7. Apply Audioquest carbon fibre brush as antistatic.

Now your record is sparkling & with NO static at all. It is applicable for new record also to wash the pressing debris & pressing oil.

I am using one specially manufactured liquid soap for cleaning my LPs. It is very mild, effective and very reasonable priced too.Last time i ordered 4 bottles of 250 ml, that time cost me Rs 40/- per bottle. Last week i placed the order for the same quantity,still to know the current price.

EKNEX ''ABREX'' Floor Cleaner, manufactured by SNOW CHEM INDUSTRIES, CHANDIVILI, MUMBAI. Owner's name is Mr. Kothari..Give my ref as " RBI" guy from Santacruz.

Last edited:
For all chemical & related products 'CK SHAH & CO', Princess st,Mumbai. Tel no :- 022 - 65173883, 66379224.

Last edited:
Dear Joshua,

I use 10 to 15 % Isoproplyle alcohol with demineralised water and a few drops of Easy liquid soap as surfcactant. You can use the Eureka wet and dry vacume cleaner with a pvc attachment with a slit to do the cleaning. Icould PM you the fullprocedure if you are really interested
Regds
kuruvilajacob

Can we use "surgical Spirit" which is available in Medical/Surgical shops along with RO Water ?

How about dipping the vinyl's in a bucket full of warm filtered aquagurard watter and then blowing them with hair dryer and then wiping them clean with the cloth? Not tried this trick.

How about dipping the vinyl's in a bucket full of warm filtered aquagurard watter and then blowing them with hair dryer and then wiping them clean with the cloth? Not tried this trick.

My understanding is one needs to agitate the surface of the record (by a physical brush or by some device that vibrates the liquid to ultrasonic frequencies) to dislodge the dirt trapped in the groove. Mild detergent/soap eases the process by breaking the bond between the dirt particle and the surface on which they are stuck, but soaps/detergents are not enough in themselves. So just dipping it won't be good enough.

Also, there is the small matter of record labels getting wet.

Can CTC (Carbon tetrachloride) be used instead of iso-propyl alcohol?

Aaaargh! :eek:

I left some CTC in an instant-coffee once. Overnight, the fumes dissolved the plastic lid and it all evaporated.

Keep away from your records!

Also, it is a hazardous chemical. Do not use it on anything unless you must.

To anything warm, or any heat source, however gentle you might think it is. Your records may warp if you even give them an angry look, let alone direct actual heat at them.

I left some CTC in an instant-coffee once. Overnight, the fumes dissolved the plastic lid and it all evaporated.

Keep away from your records!

Also, it is a hazardous chemical. Do not use it on anything unless you must.

I thought so too and that's what I told my person who suggested it but wanted to confirm. We use CTC often for cleaning purposes at work and so usually quite a bit of it is lying around.
I did get some isopropyl alcohol which is used for PCB cleaning but haven't used it yet.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back