The Manav Malvai Zero Paisa Vinyl Cleaning Method

As I was about to apply my ages-old velvet-covered LP cleaning block to a fairly dirty LP, I recalled that, in the many years since I bought this thing, microfibre had been invented, popularised, and even become relatively low priced.

Microfibre comes in many different varieties, from a very smooth, pretty-much pile-free cloth for glass polishing, to the chunky-thick towels that you might use for polishing the car. For trial on the LP, I picked one with a noticeable but fairly light pile. The glass polisher would not have gone into the grooves; the car polisher would have been over the top. It needs to be lint-free; one does not want to be depositing more fibres than the stuff we take away. As with all things vinyl, it needs a light touch and, as with all things microfibre, misting with cleaning fluid, unless the LP has had dinner spilt on it, in which case under the tap is probably more appropriate (been there done that), should be light.

I don't know why I didn't think of this years ago. Just, I suppose, because I don't play LPs much these days. As with just about every cleaning task I ever used it for, microfibre did not disappoint me.

I remember hankering after then-expensive carbon-fibre cleaning brushes. Now I wouldn't bother: microfibre is all I need :p

Applying 30-70 IPA-Filtered Water, through a velvet covered foam block, and wiping using folded microfiber cloth does magic to my records.

Here's a variation to the zero paisa method a friend proudly demo-ed to me last Saturday. Some will cringe at the method used, but here goes:

This is recommended for grimy records you just picked up from your favourite record seller.

Run tap water on both sides of the record surface for around a minute. This wets the record and allows water to seep well into the groove, and soften the deposited dirt and grime.

Pour some drops of Dettol liquid hand wash soap onto both surfaces, spread evenly using finger. My friend claimed to have tried other liquid soaps too but swears that Dettol cleans best.

Work up a lather and soak for a couple of minutes.

Rinse off with running water.

Wipe dry with soft, lint-free, dry cloth. An old cotton Tee shirt works well.

Use a second dry cloth if needed. Wipe completely dry along the direction of the groove.

At the end of this exercise, your record must be shiny.

Play record, enjoy.

If clicks and pops persist, have a second go at the above steps.

Caveats:
1) water can damage record label if you leave it wet for long. So do proceed with that understanding. However, he has cleaned many records with the above process and I didn't see any of his records have damaged labels. But logic says it can happen.

2) Holding a wet record, slathered liberally with soap, can be a slippery affair. Proceed with caution and handle your wet and soapy record with care as a dropped record can get scratched or cracked.

I tried 4 of my own dirty records at home and I must say it worked remarkably well. My variation to the process is to use a wide paint brush to brush the record surface after soap has been applied to the surface. I think it works better than rubbing it with a finger. Another variation I used is to place the record on soft kitchen wipes on a flat surface for the final wipe with cloth. This is infinitely easier than holding the record in one hand and trying to dry it with the other.

I use Amway car wash(which is very mild without wax or Silicon) mixed with 10% IPA and normal water with spray bottle.Car wash removes dirt very quickly and doesn't stick in grooves.I finally wash it with RO water.It provides me best result.

Regards,
Sachin

water isn't going to hurt, except, as warned, the label. When you have have just gambled on a 2nd-hand LP being playable, despite looking awful, the kitchen sink is the place for it, and, if it turned out to be unplayable anyway, nothing more has been lost.

I use Amway car wash(which is very mild without wax or Silicon) mixed with 10% IPA and normal water with spray bottle.Car wash removes dirt very quickly and doesn't stick in grooves.I finally wash it with RO water.It provides me best result.

Regards,
Sachin

I've tried this too! and it is probably the best solution to use here in India....

Regards,
Sachin

I've tried this too! and it is probably the best solution to use here in India....

Yes, I agree too.

I already pointed it out here. I got cloth which has surface like new tennis ball. That used to scrub record surface. I clean slowly with small flow.

Regards,
Sachin

I also use an old TT and a vacuum cleaner for final cleaning(drying),just like RCM.

Regards,
Sachin

Thought would add my experience to this thread, as I have used all the methods of cleaning vinyl mentioned in this thread :)

1. The Zero paisa method works well on relatively clean records but can also cause additional noise and deterioration in sound quality, it happened to one of the five guinea pigs that I had used.

2. Cleaning with a solution of IPA & Distilled water with a surfactant (Dish wash liquid; Amway car shampoo) and drip drying is a better method.

3. The solution that works best for me is using a 10 - 12 % solution of IPA in distilled water with a few drops of Triton x (as mentioned on a lot of web pages) and using a vacuum cleaner to dry out the record. I use a home vacuum cleaner for the same (with an air bottle in between).

The sound difference between the drip dry method and the vacuum cleaning is very audible and I cannot recommend it enough.

PS: IPA, Distilled water & Triton X can all be purchased at shops supplying laboratory equipment & consumables to Labs in colleges; schools & Industry.

Thought would add my experience to this thread, as I have used all the methods of cleaning vinyl mentioned in this thread :)

1. The Zero paisa method works well on relatively clean records but can also cause additional noise and deterioration in sound quality, it happened to one of the five guinea pigs that I had used.

2. Cleaning with a solution of IPA & Distilled water with a surfactant (Dish wash liquid; Amway car shampoo) and drip drying is a better method.

3. The solution that works best for me is using a 10 - 12 % solution of IPA in distilled water with a few drops of Triton x (as mentioned on a lot of web pages) and using a vacuum cleaner to dry out the record. I use a home vacuum cleaner for the same (with an air bottle in between).

The sound difference between the drip dry method and the vacuum cleaning is very audible and I cannot recommend it enough.

PS: IPA, Distilled water & Triton X can all be purchased at shops supplying laboratory equipment & consumables to Labs in colleges; schools & Industry.

Hi .. Where in India are you located and where did you source Triton-X from ?

Hi,

am located in North Delhi and i sourced the Triton x (a 100 ml bottle costing 150 rs app.) from a lab supplies shop located in the Delhi univ. north campus area. There is a lane opposite Hans Raj College (If you are familiar with NC) which has a lot of these shops from where one can procure these ingredients, let me know if you are interested I may have the vendor's phone number which i can share with you on PM.

Thanks

Hi,

am located in North Delhi and i sourced the Triton x (a 100 ml bottle costing 150 rs app.) from a lab supplies shop located in the Delhi univ. north campus area. There is a lane opposite Hans Raj College (If you are familiar with NC) which has a lot of these shops from where one can procure these ingredients, let me know if you are interested I may have the vendor's phone number which i can share with you on PM.

Thanks

In mumbai where we can get lab supply?

also I am looking for beakers with 10 - 10 ml rakings - tp precisly measure pegs...:cheers:

Hi,

Thanks

What a coincidence !! I stay like 10 mins away from Hans Raj .. We should meet up sometime man ... Its awesome to have someone staying so close to my place who has an interest in vinyls. Also do let me know the vendor's phone number.

Cheers
Kartick

That's really a coincidence, let us try and catch up. Am sending you the vendors number by PM.

What a coincidence !! I stay like 10 mins away from Hans Raj .. We should meet up sometime man ... Its awesome to have someone staying so close to my place who has an interest in vinyls. Also do let me know the vendor's phone number.

Cheers
Kartick

I also use a similar method for cleaning LPs. The friend who had given this method had also told me to use Dove Shampoo with the water as he said it is mild and does a good cleaning. I was happy with their usage.

I have never tried this with 78 rpms which are made of shellac.
Does anyone have any pointers for cleaning those? will the same method work for them?

I used to use old banians, but then it used to end up with the first play piling up a lot of lint on the needle.

Got some microfibre towels off ebay. While not as absorbent as The cotton in t shirts, they don't leave anything on the records. They are good to go immediately after drying.

Back