The Manav Malvai Zero Paisa Vinyl Cleaning Method

Can someone explain why isopropyl alcohol is recommended for use as record cleaner? I mean the chemical basis of its use. Does it have a property similar to soap and detergents which aids in dislodging the dirt? I'm curious and wants to be convinced. I actually have a bottle of it bought for cleaning records but I was not convinced of its efficacy.

My theory is that IPA dissolves grease easily, but without a lot of froth that one would get from detergent or soap. It also evaporates quite quickly.

We use CTC often for cleaning purposes at work and so usually quite a bit of it is lying around.
I did get some isopropyl alcohol which is used for PCB cleaning but haven't used it yet.

Yes, I have also only encountered it in industrial situations. I don't think I ever understood how dangerous it is, though.

IPA is one of the milder organic solvents. Most records have some amount
of fingerprint oils. I guess IPA helps clean or at least weaken those, so that
the soap can do it's job.
While there are more effective solvents and degreasing chemicals, IPA
(esp when heavily diluted) is probably more benign to the vinyl medium.

IPA is one of the milder organic solvents. Most records have some amount
of fingerprint oils. I guess IPA helps clean or at least weaken those, so that
the soap can do it's job.
While there are more effective solvents and degreasing chemicals, IPA
(esp when heavily diluted) is probably more benign to the vinyl medium.
Yes, adding surfactant like Triton-X reduces surface tension of solution. It makes it to reach surface of the record grooves by wetting it throughly.

Reviving this old thread.

9 years now since I have been using the DIY record cleaning solution of Distilled Water 80%, IPA 20% with a few drops of washing detergent and it works like a charm. For Records which need deep cleaning, I use a soft tooth brush and it does the job very well indeed.

Best part now, you get everything on amazon now Distilled Water + IPA + Detergent + Micro Fibre Cloth and Application Pads !

9 years now since I have been using the DIY record cleaning solution of Distilled Water 80%, IPA 20% with a few drops of washing detergent and it works like a charm. For Records which need deep cleaning, I use a soft tooth brush and it does the job very well indeed.

Best part now, you get everything on amazon now Distilled Water + IPA + Detergent + Micro Fibre Cloth and Application Pads !
@Record Player - can you put a few links to the micro fibre cloth and application pads you prefer using? I have tried a few microfibre cloth myself (the amazon house brand) and didn't like them... TIA!

Thank you for reviving. 5 Ltr Distilled water cans are normally available with the road side automotive battery shops and some times in highway petrol pumps, which would be cheap. Can be picked up on the way when you are come across such one.

@Record Player - can you put a few links to the micro fibre cloth and application pads you prefer using? I have tried a few microfibre cloth myself (the amazon house brand) and didn't like them... TIA!
"Normal" microfiber clothes deposit lint in the groove which is then dug out by the stylus on first play after cleaning.
I have tried almost all types of MF clothes available locally as well as on Amazon.in. Only the 3M brand MF cloth seems to have minimum lint deposit compared to others.

Thank you for reviving. 5 Ltr Distilled water cans are normally available with the road side automotive battery shops and some times in highway petrol pumps, which would be cheap. Can be picked up on the way when you are come across such one.
It would be better if canned distilled water for pathological lab/hospital is used. They are described as double distilled and guaranteed to be clean. Last time I bought, it was 230rs for a 5 litres can in Kolkata.

I got distilled water from a store selling chemicals and stuff for schools, etc. IPA from a medical supplies store.

Definitely

Application Pads - https://www.amazon.in/SOFTSPUN-Micr...ywords=application+pads&qid=1623823014&sr=8-9

Microfibre - As Bhaskar rightly mentioned, the best are the ones from 3M - https://www.amazon.in/3M-Microfiber...rds=microfiber+cloth+3m&qid=1623823142&sr=8-5

Thanks @Record Player . What about cleaner like this Silicon based :-
This is helpful for removing loose dust from surface but not from grooves. I use this to first 'pre clean' and then use distilled water/IPA/Colin mixture. Works very well.

Which washing detergent do you recommend

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back