The Movies I Liked

Hi Suniil
CLOVERFIELD seems to be an interesting movie. Will try to watch it on DVD some time
After I read a short description about the story I understood why the LFE is so good. :)
I know how much you would have enjoyed your living room shaking with the sub sonic frequencies created by your sub while watching the movie :p

Its a really good movie... the entire story is from the point of view of an amateur shaky cam... a la Blair Witch Project. So if anyone has motion sickness, its not a movie to be watched.

Flight of the Phoenix....i liked this Dennis Quaid movie. its a story abt a group of survirors in a plane crash and how they rebuild a new plane

James Bond Movies

I saw in a store series of james bond movies, total 22 of them, costing 12,000/- bucks, these DVDs are by excel company.

I like bond movies a lot, is the picture quality and recording good by excel, with specific mention to effects of sub woofer and surround speakers, and then i am worried about the very old bond movies, how will their quality be, as during those days where was the technology.

If i get positive reviews about these technical factors then i will consider to buy these 22 DVDs.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Flight of the Phoenix....i liked this Dennis Quaid movie. its a story abt a group of survirors in a plane crash and how they rebuild a new plane

Indeed a good movie, in parts i found it slow, i have given this movie 3 stars.

Vinay.

Rikhav,

My DVD player is not blue-ray, i will buy this blue ray, after a year or so, as my current dvd player is still new, these technologies just keep coming, later we will hear about green-ray, red-ray, but i am very keen to see a movie on blue-ray.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Rikhav,

My DVD player is not blue-ray, i will buy this blue ray, after a year or so, as my current dvd player is still new, these technologies just keep coming, later we will hear about green-ray, red-ray, but i am very keen to see a movie on blue-ray.

Vinay.

Very true Vinay :p
We cant just dispose off something bought not so long ago as it involves our hard earned money. And as of now BLU-RAY players will see lot of upgradation. So its wise to wait for a while

Here is a short description of SHIPPING NEWS.
The Shipping News - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rikhav, I followed the link to the wikepedia summary of the Novel/Movie.
While its accurate enough in a sort of "bare bones " way,it just does'nt do justice to the gripping emotions in the work.
Since I don't have a HT, I can't say anything abt sound effects esp LFE of the movie, but the director is good so they'll be adequate enough to enhance the scenes/emotions wherever reqd-good directors always use sound effects with taste & restraint.( Contrast-the SEffs of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhie...)
Do watch it , if you can.
Also, if you pick up the book, I promise you it'll be a great read.

Last edited:
Rikhav, I followed the link to the wikepedia summary of the Novel/Movie.
While its accurate enough in a sort of "bare bones " way,it just does'nt do justice to the gripping emotions in the work.
Since I don't have a HT, I can't say anything abt sound effects esp LFE of the movie, but the director is good so they'll be adequate enough to enhance the scenes/emotions wherever reqd-good directors always use sound effects with taste & restraint.( Contrast-the SEffs of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhie...)
Do watch it , if you can.
Also, if you pick up the book, I promise you it'll be a great read.

Definately Kamal
I feel such short description can do little justice to a movie. It was just for the sake of Vinay knowing the basics of the movie
Hearing it from someone who has actually watched the movie and who understands technicalities of movie making is much more prefered. I will deifnately watch the movie but I am not an avid reader so i will recomened the novel to my brother who likes reading novels.

Very true Vinay :p
We cant just dispose off something bought not so long ago as it involves our hard earned money. And as of now BLU-RAY players will see lot of upgradation. So its wise to wait for a while

Here is a short description of SHIPPING NEWS.
The Shipping News - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rikhav, thank you very much for the story line of shipping news, it could be the favourite of so many people, but if someone does not like the story line, he gets an opportunity to take a call to see it or no, like in my case i see movies only on original DVDs, there is no way that i would like to spend the money, if the brief story line is not my cup of tea, so i always like the small briefs which you give on the story line, keep it up.

About upgrading to blue ray, red ray, black ray, i think rikhav the matter does not end here, i feel that your entire set up with cables also then needs the shade of upgrade, because the earlier set up which one has, that is match to the set of present holding of av gear.

I feel one should consider to upgrade the full gear at one go, then doing it in peace meals, I also strongly feel that the present gear which one has, it should be used on regular basis and should be renewed only after 3/5 years.

Thank you rikhav.

Vinay.

Hi Vinay
As far as Blu-ray goes you will need to upgrade your AV receiver also as it wont support True HD dolby and DTS. So you are right that it can be done after using the current hardware for a longer time as it asks for a huge investment

Yesterday watched SUPERBAD. Its those American Pie kind of comedy movies. I dont mind watching those kinds once in a while

Details and short description of the movie

Superbad (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I have a huge list of seen and must see movies. But here are a few Movies To Die For with reasons against each.

1. The Incredibles. This has superb video and equally excellent surround sound. I use it as reference DVD when I check out equipment. There is one scene where Dash first realises he can really dash and is fighting with the bad guys. The camera pans at very high speed through jungle, over water, and in the air. This scene really stresses a DVD player and a screen to the extreme. A good TV/DVD combination should show the jungle scenes and the trees and other greenery passing with utmost clarity without blurring. In addition as dash is running the mud that is splattered is very clearly and cleverly depicted.

2. The Rock. What do I say about this movie? Excellent story and once-in-a-life -time performances by Sean Connery, Nicholas Cage, and Ed Harris. The Hummer chase scene is again a superb test of your equipment both for video and sound. The first scene where Ed Harris is playing tributes to his wife before going on a rampage is again wonderful. A good equipment should make you feel the rain is actually falling on the road outside your house.

3. The Hunted. Starring Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro, The Hunted is the movie that made me become obsessed with Home Theater. The movie is very tense with a teacher trying to bring one of his best students back home. The close ups show the extreme tension on the faces of the actors and you can see the sweat and blood pouring as they fight.

In an initial scene Del Toro is hunting two wildlife hunters and the scene is in a jungle. He runs around the hunters constantly whispering taunts. This secene is a wonderful mix of jungle sound with the quite tramping of Del Toto's running and whispering. You should hear it from all speakers immersing you into the jungle. At the end of this scene Del Toro throws a knife at his adversary. The knife comes straight at you on the screen, passes your left ear, and thuds into a tree behind you on your left. Again in a good system, you should hear the knife passing on your left and thudding into the tree BEHIND you. Awesome !!! In another scene the hunters fire at a deer that is away from you in your FRONT. You can hear the sharp crack of the rifle, and the bullet sound as it goes AWAY from you. The best about this scene is the sound of the frightened birds. You can hear them take from ABOVE your head and fly away.

4. Gangaa Jal. Again an excellent movie that keeps you on your seat for three long hours. I have a soft corner for Ajay and he has performed very well in this movie. The dialogues are very well edited without too much of the shouting you generally seen in Indian movies. The video is excellent and really takes you into the rural areas of Bihar.

5. A Tamil movie called Pokiri. This was the first movie I played on my Oppo 983, and it was love at first sight. I have yet to see a movie with this amount of clarity in the video. The colors are beautifully etched. There are a number of scenes shot abroad and you feel as if you have actually traveled there. I am not sure whether the producers themselves realise what a beauty they have in their hand in terms of cinematography.

6. Die Hard. I am in love with this movie and must have seen it umpteen times. In one scene, Bruce Willis ties some bombs on a chair, shoves it into a lift, and makes the lift go down. As the bomb explodes, you can hear the sound rise up from BELOW you and blast you in your face it is surges out through the lift door.

7. Gladiator. I wont talk much about this movie as it has been flogged too often. But one scene is a superb test of good equipment. This is the initial war scene where the Romans are fighting against the wild English. The music is excellent, as is the sound of the arrow flying over you head and thudding into the human bodies. There is this scene where a dog is running across the battle ground. You can hear its heavy breathing as well as see the phlegm pour from its mouth.

As I said I have huge list and I shall write more in the coming days.

Can we also exchange notes on audio CDs? Maybe we can open a separate thread for that?

Just finished watching CLOVERFIELD
As i have told earlier I dont have a HT setup as of now and i put on headphones(Sennheiser) for sound.
Sunil, inspite of listening the sound on headphones i was able to understand why this movie goes in your reference collection for the LFE channel
It sure must have shook your living room with the subsonic frequncies.

How do these people get such ideas to make a movie :p
But IMO this movie is not for the faint hearted

How do these people get such ideas to make a movie :p
But IMO this movie is not for the faint hearted

Try the Hostel series.

....& if it helps, the movie was based on real events - as per the marketing. There was widespread protest after the release from the mentioned countries, especially from Thailand ministry.

Last edited:
Venkatcr,

I am impressed with the detail by which you wrote on the movies you liked, i have seen 2 of them, others i will consider to buy the DVD.

Are you are watching the movies on a LCD TV, which are the set of speakers you are using? Do you rent the movies, vcd or dvd?

Vinay.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back