The What Hi Fi Show 2013!

There is a parking facility ( 10 floors) if I am not wrong, right next to trident. Charges are steep, but its convenient. :)

behind trident ... there is a parking facility by MMRDA.. parked my bike there...
for 2.25 hrs they charged Rs.11/-

Hi,

Back from Expo.This time its really Hifi show and no chance for midfi and low end ar Trident.
If I start from top line,them B&W Diamond series connected to hefty power amp(Jeff Rowland?).Bass coming from mighty speakers was superb and so were the mids and treble.I felt to keep on listening.
The next powerful setup was Legacy Audio Towers with Parasound. Setup is huge for average room size.
Another great setup was Dynaudio. Very balanced and near perfect sounding one.Yes little warm in nature ,but wonderful.
Electrostatic martin Logan with rDAC(bluetooth) was sweet sounding system without need of sweet spot.
Another natural sounding speakers were Big Tannoy with Bel canto setup.Sound was superb and audiophile grade.
There are so many.One Indian brand I must mention here is sonodyne new Home series of powered speakers.The red colored speakers Bookshelf and Towers were very good sounding with vocals in center.Controlled Bass and balanced treble.There was a small party too from sonodyne on launching new series.

All setups are high end and you need Rs.100000 and above to grab them.
There are some HT packages too.Anthem and Pioneer elite AVR are the high lights.
Pioneer AVR are with Focal are must listen combo. Dialogs in Avatar demo sounded very clear and so the effects.Anthem was powerful,but not perfect match with Martin logan speakers.Martin Logan SW was very good in HT.

Many dealers complained about reflections in room due to glass work.
So dont miss opportunity to listen so many high end setups under one roof.
Thanks to Whatshifi for arranging an Expo which was much awaited.

Hi,

Pioneer AVR are with Focal are must listen combo. Dialogs in Avatar demo sounded very clear and so the effects.Anthem was powerful,but not perfect match with Martin logan speakers.Martin Logan SW was very good in HT.

Pl give details of the Pioneer/Focal setup. Did you get the prices, by any chance?
Which ML SW was that?

Is the Marantz SR7008 on demo and with what speakers? Anybody got a demo?

Thanks

The show is good
The trident has all the big hitters who have made a good effort this year to set up things as well as they can

A visit to the grounds on the other hand ( for audio only ) is a waste of time for me
Yes the girls are nice and so are the cars and bikes - but thats pretty much it

The dyna Audio room has been set up by bhagwan with a little help from me
( however the setup is not completely his liking - since the dealer was adamant on displaying all the speakers in his portfolio- and bhagwan would have ideally liked one 1 or 2 speakers at the most outside)

the excessive furniture just causes undue reflections
All the Audio furniture that he has used is from SoundFoundations
You guys must check out the rack
its a unique pc - you will rarely get to see

other impressive rooms are the Burmester and the PMC ( which probably has the best imaging of the show in my books - the simplest room - but by far exactly what is required
- unfortunately very few indian customers appreciate whats done - most like only to be floored and over awed by the scale of things )

the burmester has lovely tone and can probably be a winner if it has the correct room and is set up right - by professional
unfortunately its not setup ideally

The Tannoys are worth a listen
Lovers of the Tannoy tone wont be disappointed
the dealer has taken pains to install things as well as he could
Conditioners cabling etc

On the flip side there are some huge disappointments
Not because the speakers are bad
Only because the dealer has failed to acknowledge that this speaker cant be set up in these kinds of room - but has yet forced it
Or the dealer basically just has NO knowledge of setup
Unfortunately since im in the business now - i will not comment on the brands
But be sure they are one of the "biggies"

Pl give details of the Pioneer/Focal setup. Did you get the prices, by any chance?
Which ML SW was that?

Is the Marantz SR7008 on demo and with what speakers? Anybody got a demo?

Thanks

ML sw is martil logan subwoofer.l think marantz sr 7005 was in demo from cinebles
connected to klipsch towers and Jamo.Neither impressed me other thn power and louddness.
Focal chorus with Pioneer lx 7* series avr was sounding good.

I vivsted the expo yesterday. Met up with up with spiro & co. Overall agree with most of what Spiro has said. Visited the Lakozy demo room showing the NAD T757 and PSB Imagine setup. Sounded excellent with movies but what surprised me was the performance of this combo in 2 channel sound. Never felt I was listening to satellites. The integration with the sub was wonderful. No wonder PSB call them mini bookshelves! Worth a consideration for those who want a single setup for both stereo and HT.

Hi,
If I start from top line,them B&W Diamond series connected to hefty power amp(Jeff Rowland?).Bass coming from mighty speakers was superb and so were the mids and treble.I felt to keep on listening.

B & W had 2 rooms;

a]
800 D

b]
Snail = Nautilus

Both Rooms has 'same' front end.
Q Sonix Digital Player
Jeff Rowland DAC - Aeries
No Pre - DAC was doing the Pre's work
They only used JR's Amps.
1 room had the 525's [4 of them] - speaker is 'active' & the other had the 825's
All Cables were Kimber.
Did I forget anything ?

One thing I must add;

The Tannoy & Bel Canto / KR Audio room is the 'most professional' addressed room.
From Power Supply, to Stands / Racks / Base Plates [below speaker] / Perfume / Chocolates etc. All have been taken care of.
The Sound is not great - to my ears - but the effort deserves 100 % marks.
In My Books the Best Effort Room - no 2 ways about it.
The Burmester Room - Excellent Tone.
Set up is 'lousy' no audiophile effects - but just listen to the speaker 'mono' [3 feet from any 1 channel] & the tone is glorious. I liked it.
PMC & AVM - very minimalist rather Japanese in approach. Good Sound Stage - speakers are 11 + feet apart & the sound is playing 2 feet from out side the speaker on either side & there is no hole in the middle - full marks to Mr. Jilla on his set up capabilities....
I have not done the rooms as yet - have lots left.
Will keep posting.
Have taken a few pics too - shall post on Tuesday.

1 request - all FM's to come with their CD's to the Show - so they know what they want to listen to.

p.s. There is a Hi Fi Vision FM's party in the Sonodyne Room - today @ 1700 hours. Please do try and attend. Mr. Anindya [ceo] has invited all FM & is keen to meet & chat with all FM's [do try and come]

Dynaudio CEO - W.E. too will visit the Show today. If any one wants to meet him - room # 1008. All are welcome.

:yahoo:

Just curious, are the Harbeths on display at the show ? I am particularly interested in the Harbeths, Accuphase and Dynaudios.

Some pictures for you,taken by Thecoolestone-

Marantz group with B&W.Also Boston speakers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legacy Audio
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The costliest setup from Germony.Bookshelf speakers starts from Rs.12 lakhs.

Tannoy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Levinson power amp in action.

Also dont forget to collect a CD at Focal Demo room-

Last edited:
Hoping to go tomorrow to the show. Burned a test CD:

01. Isao Suzuki Quartet - Aqua Marine
02. Sadao Watanabe - Rendezvous
03. Petra Magoni and Feruccio Spinetti - Musica Nuda - Eleanor Rigby
04. Seal - I Am Your Man
05. Sibelius - cond Karajan - Symphonic Poem Finlandia
06. Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat
07. Spandau Ballet - Round And Round
08. Sibelius - Akiko Suwanai - cond Sakari Oramo - Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 47 Part 3. Allegro, ma non tanto
09. Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin & Paco de Lucia - Mediterranean Sundance - Rio Ancho
10. Steely Dan - Black Cow
11. KEM - When I'm Loving You

I am traveling from Ahmedabad tomorrow just to attend the show . Also hope to meet few FM . Bhawagan : I have not met you anytime before but would like to meet you there . So how do I meet you ?

Bhagwan is at the dyna room
pretty often

so am I

otherwise Burge or Jilla are other frequent haunts

Come in the mornings
its quiter and better for a serious listen

Good to see some serious hifi exhibition happening India, albeit a fair distance away from where I presently stay.

Hope they can do such shows at other cities as well, notably Bangalore and Chennai if not Delhi.

the HT guys got [rather will get] a 'raw' deal

Considering that India at this moment is a market right only for HT, I thought they would get a super deal!!

Was at the show today.

Visited the Tannoy, PMC, Burmester, MBL and Focal rooms.

In the PMC and Tannoy rooms, the set up was very good. PMC sounded good.

I did not much fancy the Tannoys with Bel Canto amplification. I am sure they sound much better than what they did with the Bel Cantos. I think it was a question of synergy there. It wasn't sounding bad like some of the other rooms but the magic was simply not there.

MBL sounded very decent. At that price I would have liked a little more mid bass though.

Burmester and the Focal rooms were bad. Period. Some Jagjit stuff was playing in the Burmester room. It sounded completely off and pathetic. In the Focal room, Dire Straits was playing. It sounded very edgy and shrill. I am sure the stuff in these rooms were great but some novice seems to have set it up.

Got out of office and made it around 2, was worth it.
I really liked what sonodyne had to offer. Their actives were good and so was the new tower speaker. They had a sparkle which was a tad excessive to my ears, but sounded very detailed.
As someone rightly mentioned, that the show is strictly 1 lcs plus, the demo units crossing 3.
The HT setup's were not really upto the mark, but a good dekho non the less.

For me the star of the show was pmc's setup and dynaudios bookshelves. Simply brilliant. The likes of b&w and dali were as expected, good performers and pricy. The tannoys setup was perfect and the speaker sounded good too. Unfortunately couldnt test it with music i listen to..

There was a french company that was placed right besides the kef's. Cabasse i think??? preferred them over the kef's..

klipsch and jamo were no fun............

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back