Thinking about a home theatre setup for music? Watch this first

Very informative. Opened my eyes on few things

1. This is being pushed by music industry as the next big thing, but will probably end up like DSD, SACD
2. It may sound good, but the encoding is extremely lossy and worse then spotify :D :D :D . Ha Ha fans of spatial music from apple
3. You can never achieve a decent setup at home with zillions of speaker and zillions of placement choices
4. You optimize your room by doing sound treatment for music, it works against dolby atmos.
5. Very few titles available in this format.

I have followed 2 facts which apply for me ..may not be true for everyone though
1. 2 very good speakers are better than 5 decent speakers ( assuming there is a budget constraint)
2. Media availability is mostly stereo hence more means DSP

I agree with arj's point 1, there are also space constraints depending upon the size of the room and speaker.

I will add that for me the tone is off when using more than 2 speakers, and tone is important to me.

1. This is being pushed by music industry as the next big thing, but will probably end up like DSD, SACD
2. It may sound good, but the encoding is extremely lossy and worse then spotify :D :D :D . Ha Ha fans of spatial music from apple
3. You can never achieve a decent setup at home with zillions of speaker and zillions of placement choices
4. You optimize your room by doing sound treatment for music, it works against dolby atmos.
Great summary!

last few years I have realised that I value tone over factors like soundstaging which at one time was very important. Does not mean its not important but i wold give a higher priority to it
I am travelling the other way. Pursued tone and now trying to enhance sound stage too. Why is this so difficult to have both to a satisfying degree?

That's some sadistic pleasure being derived right there, lol.

That's some sadistic pleasure being derived right there, lol.
😊
It’s our civic duty to inform the newbies rushing to buy the latest and greatest HT being marketed everywhere. Even the recent WhatHifi exhibition in Bangalore had more HT than Hifi. They can then make an informed decision with all the facts. I am assuming free will exists.

They have successfully propagated the myth and created a demand and now justify saying “what can we do if the popular demand is for this?”
Sadistic? No! It’s a noble public service 😊

I have also noticed a few FM here who have been asking about modifying their HT for better music listening experience. They say they watch movies and listen to music in various proportions with their HT set up

Last edited:
Great summary!

I am travelling the other way. Pursued tone and now trying to enhance sound stage too. Why is this so difficult to have both to a satisfying degree?
In a perfect system they should all come in and components should do both. The devil is in the finer details ie
cables- how to choose one between richer harmonics vs wider deeper soundstage
POwer: lower background noise vs better tone
speaker placement: reduced image depth or width vs better tone

etc etc...its great if one does not face an "either-or" scenario and is blessed with an "and" !

In a perfect system they should all come in and components should do both. The devil is in the finer details ie
cables- how to choose one between richer harmonics vs wider deeper soundstage
POwer: lower background noise vs better tone
speaker placement: reduced image depth or width vs better tone

etc etc...its great if one does not face an "either-or" scenario and is blessed with an "and" !
I think it’s time you came over for a listen to my new room and setup and advice 😊

last few years I have realised that I value tone over factors like soundstaging which at one time was very important. Does not mean its not important but i wold give a higher priority to it

There were other things I cared about earlier, these days not so much.

😊
It’s our civic duty to inform the newbies rushing to buy the latest and greatest HT being marketed everywhere. Even the recent WhatHifi exhibition in Bangalore had more HT than Hifi. They can then make an informed decision with all the facts. I am assuming free will exists.

They have successfully propagated the myth and created a demand and now justify saying “what can we do if the popular demand is for this?”
Sadistic? No! It’s a noble public service 😊

I have also noticed a few FM here who have been asking about modifying their HT for better music listening experience. They say they watch movies and listen to music in various proportions with their HT set up

I regret to inform you, it does not. This is in general, not specific to the rest of your post.

I got amused actually. In reality I just got educated when darko made the statement and then it dawned on me that it is the bloody nyquist theorem. So if you want to get waveform accurately upto 20,000 Hz you have to sample the music at 40,000 Hz. It was decided to sample music at 44,100 Hz which is now known as CD quality music. This is for 2 channels. Now If you want to send 10 channels at cd quality, the file size will increase by 5 times making it difficult to stream over banwidth limited medium like bluetooth. So one has to compromize by reducing the samping rate which gives us around 8000 Hz sampling rate. What apple may be doing is the left and right channel may be at higher sampling rate and rest of the channels may be at much lower sampling rate than 8000 Hz.

But the fact remains that spatial audio is sacrificing quality for quantity

I got amused actually. In reality I just got educated when darko made the statement and then it dawned on me that it is the bloody nyquist theorem. So if you want to get waveform accurately upto 20,000 Hz you have to sample the music at 40,000 Hz. It was decided to sample music at 44,100 Hz which is now known as CD quality music. This is for 2 channels. Now If you want to send 10 channels at cd quality, the file size will increase by 5 times making it difficult to stream over banwidth limited medium like bluetooth. So one has to compromize by reducing the samping rate which gives us around 8000 Hz sampling rate. What apple may be doing is the left and right channel may be at higher sampling rate and rest of the channels may be at much lower sampling rate than 8000 Hz.

But the fact remains that spatial audio is sacrificing quality for quantity
They are marketing audio trickery as a must have/desirable/coveted lifestyle choice.
Enlightened members of this forum need to the needful.
Once informed they can exercise their free will to make better choices that suit their interests and save money too.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back