Thorens TD 124 Mark I

malvai

Banned
Banned
Hi guys!
I have just acquired a vintage Thorens TD 124 Mk 1. It has its serial code ethched. The platter truns alright, but the wiring is all age worn.....
Here are the pics:

Pic 1 is of the box it is in!

[IMG2][IMG2]

Pic 2 is on the actual TT fitted in...

[/IMG2][/IMG2]

Now I'm not sure if its the best way to play it... So I guess the next couple of weeks are going to be exciting as I clean and oil each part and then step by step restore this old beauty to its erswhile glory!

Comments, suggestions, tips, donation of parts, donation of time and expertise (Beer is on the house!), etc are welcome!

Last edited:
Hi,

Congrats. on your new turntable.The TD 124 is superb.I have one and prefer it to the Garrard 301.

I am unable to see the pictures.

The net has all the information you need to get this TT back to original specs.

TD124 Dept

Spares can be sourced from

Schopper.ch - NAD

Art Dudley has written some restoration articles in Stereophile.

Stereophile: Listening #40

A very good TD124 page.

Thorens TD 124 / TD124 Mk2 and TD-224 Legendary Vintage Turntables

The idler drive guru, a fantastic website.

My Turntables-Main

If you need any help please send me a PM.

I can see the pictures now.Looks like a SME 3009 series 2 tone arm. Perfect.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
just dismatled the platter and the rubber on the wiring seems to be crumbling off.... Looks like i will have to re-wire the entire darn arm.......

any suggestions where I could get a good deal on it? In fact, should I do it myself or should I get it done from someone?

Hi malvai Congrats !
You have a knack of getting good deals :D
Please post more pics. specially inside, I think wires coming from cartridge are important, rest can be compromised. Are rubber pulleys etc. ok ?
Regards
Hiten

congrts malvai! so where did you get the beauty from?

regards

Got it from right here in amchi Mumbai!

For 10k its quite a beauty too! But methinks a good 5-10 on it will restore it to perfection. Still beats payng up $1400+ shipping + customs for a fully restored one from abroad!

Plus imagine the amount of fun I'll get while restoring it!

Hi malvai Congrats !
You have a knack of getting good deals :D
Please post more pics. specially inside, I think wires coming from cartridge are important, rest can be compromised. Are rubber pulleys etc. ok ?
Regards
Hiten

Rubber pulleys etc, seem to be fine. The wires on the arm are a mess... Any idea where I can get 'em re-wired? Or do I do a DIY on it.... Am a bit apprehensive about touching the arm on me own.... I mean it is delicate. The rest of it I don't mind, its built like a tank!

Ok now this is what the dismantled Thorens looks like.... Hiten, if you're reading this, you'll know how serious is the situation with the tone arm's wiring....

The counterweights too are needed... The good thing is that the arm had the original Shure V15 Type III cart! So i guess, along with the wiring and the weights i'll also order a stylus!

Last edited:
Hi malvai
conditions of tt looks fantastic. regarding tonearm wiring I would suggest just take off crumbled insulation and put same thickness sleeve on it. But most important dont be in a hurry to do this wait for other member's suggestions. I have a feeling with patience this TT will be restored superbly and sound fantastic. Zorrik switch cleaner not only works great inside pots (vol controls etc.) but chrome plated parts also get original bright shine.
Hiten
Edit : what is the serial no. etched on TT. I read some specific batch has great value :)

Hi,

The TT looks good.Check to see if the belt and pulley are OK.

Strip and lubricate all moving parts.Dont get oil on the belt and idler wheel.

Check to see if the capacitor across the switch is ok.If it is faulty there will be clicks and noise when you turn on the TT.

For the tonearm wiring check to see if the connections at the base of the arm are OK.They normally tend to oxidise,best is to resolder them. The four pin connector at the end of the tonearm cable will also normally be prone to corrosion.

The good news is that SME still support their old products and can supply you a new tone arm cable and weights if you tell them the serial number of your arm.

SME - Spare parts / Accessories

You can also try this company
SME Tonearms, SME 3009 Turntable Parts Templates & Manuals

SME tonearm database.

SME 3009 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Regards
Rajiv

Hi malvai
Where can I get Zorrik?
at any electronics shop. WD40 will also do.

BTW Thorens are so much appreciated they are selling for more than 700$ on ebay. you have a classic piece of TT manav :)

Let me add my bit.

SME 3009 can be serviced by yourself, if you have done DIY before. It requires lot of patience. Detailed instructions are available in the SME service manual available at Vinylengine. I have done the SME myself including replacing the tonearm wires. I have ordered Cardas wire and replaced with tonearm clips from Cardas again. The trickiest part is to put the earthing lug inside the tonearm tube and passing the screw back from the knife-edge. This requires a foreceps to be used. There is no other way.

I have also serviced a TD-124 and it is fairly easy and simple. You can buy fresh motor bushings on ebay and replace them. Requires the rivets to be broken (drilled through) to get to the "O" ring washers and the bush. Again all of these instructions are available on the net in detail.

You have a got a steal at 10K for a TD-124 with SME tonearm....

Cheers.

Let me add my bit.

SME 3009 can be serviced by yourself, if you have done DIY before. It requires lot of patience. Detailed instructions are available in the SME service manual available at Vinylengine. I have done the SME myself including replacing the tonearm wires. I have ordered Cardas wire and replaced with tonearm clips from Cardas again. The trickiest part is to put the earthing lug inside the tonearm tube and passing the screw back from the knife-edge. This requires a foreceps to be used. There is no other way.

I have also serviced a TD-124 and it is fairly easy and simple. You can buy fresh motor bushings on ebay and replace them. Requires the rivets to be broken (drilled through) to get to the "O" ring washers and the bush. Again all of these instructions are available on the net in detail.

You have a got a steal at 10K for a TD-124 with SME tonearm....

Cheers.

Hi anilva, thanks for the encouragement! This really gladdens my heart. Just one lil question: Wouldn't ordering the wiring from SMe directly, be cheaper? Or would you recommend Cardas as the best source.
Plus, is it really necessary to replace the bushings???

Hi anilva, thanks for the encouragement! This really gladdens my heart. Just one lil question: Wouldn't ordering the wiring from SMe directly, be cheaper? Or would you recommend Cardas as the best source.
Plus, is it really necessary to replace the bushings???

To my mind, Cardas tonearm wire is one of the best today and is the preferred recable option with almost everyone around. I am sure you will spend more for SME branded wire, but not sure if it sounds any better for the tonearm/cartridge combinations that we generally can afford.

Check ebay, there are a good number of people selling cardas tonearm wire, or go to Dedicated Audio - Cardas (4) Strand, Braided 33AWG Tonearm Cable with Soldered Clips

As far the motor bushings are concerned, check with a stethoscope (placed on the surface of the turntable) with just the motor running (belt disconnected) for bearing noise. Just lubrication should suffice, if it is used moderately in it's past life.

Cheers.

Just one more thing. Buy yourself a nice Stanley Hex key set (inches based and not mm based) for dismantling and assembling the SME tonearm.

Cheers.

Ooops! Just saw! The Cardas is even cheaper! In fact its about 1/5th the Cardas website price!

Hi guys!
Can anyone tell me if acrylic is a good material for making a plinth for the Thorens TT?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back