Thoroughly confused about which TV to buy (Variable budget)

sid3091

Hey guys,

Right now I'm using a VU "Premium" Android TV which is thoroughly awful (would only recommend to my enemies) and I am looking to upgrade (budget around 50k-1.2lac). My primary use for a TV is gaming and streaming Video and I will be upgrading to the PS5 and Xbox Series X next year or latest by 2022, which is why I'd like a TV with good HDR performance and contrast. I was fairly certain about buying the Sony X9500G but then I was told that HDMI 2.1 is essential for next gen gaming and that particular Sony did not support it. This throws my other choice out of the Window (Samsung Q70R).
The LG OLEDs are tempting (B9) but I'm worried about burn in, especially since I play a lot of racing games and watch football. Then there's the Sony X9000H, but I don't know what price it will be launched at. Also, as per rtings, its taken a significant dip in brightness compared to the X9500G.

Alternatively, I'm considering the Toshiba 55U7980 as a stop gap tv to last me till a year till I have a bigger budget. (Could also go for the one plus or TCL QLEDs if you guys recommend).

I don't mind waiting for a month or so either, if there's something good coming up.

Also, I know my primary requirements are for gaming, but a sub 20ms input lag isnt a must have for me.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I recently bought Q70R, its been wonderful so far, 4k 120 is not a big deal, hitting 4k 60 itself is going to be a major hurdle, you will most likely get arcade games @ 4k 120 , my gut feeling is you might get majority 4k 120 only with PS5 pro. I guess you could stick with X9500g or Q70R if you want freesync. if you still want 2.1 your choices are FRAME, Q70T both lack 10 bit panel and FALD compared to Q70R. I stayed away from OLEDs due to burn in risk as i mostly use my TV as a monitor and for gaming . you could also wait for LG nano86 or 90 (nanocel tv).

There are some good videos on YouTube showing impact of gaming on burn in. Have a look. If you are an intense gamers (think 5+ hours at a stretch), OLED burn in becomes a risk was my interpretation but pls have a look for yourself. If it's not a worry for your use case, oled becomes a very good option

There are some good videos on YouTube showing impact of gaming on burn in. Have a look. If you are an intense gamers (think 5+ hours at a stretch), OLED burn in becomes a risk was my interpretation but pls have a look for yourself. If it's not a worry for your use case, oled becomes a very good option
Thanks for the tip, i usually play for about 3-4 hours during the week, but on weekends I can definitely go up to 4-5 hours in a single sitting. I believe that it would be a risk for me, especially with LG only offering a 1 year warranty.

Hello, I recently bought Q70R, its been wonderful so far, 4k 120 is not a big deal, hitting 4k 60 itself is going to be a major hurdle, you will most likely get arcade games @ 4k 120 , my gut feeling is you might get majority 4k 120 only with PS5 pro. I guess you could stick with X9500g or Q70R if you want freesync. if you still want 2.1 your choices are FRAME, Q70T both lack 10 bit panel and FALD compared to Q70R. I stayed away from OLEDs due to burn in risk as i mostly use my TV as a monitor and for gaming . you could also wait for LG nano86 or 90 (nanocel tv).
Good point. The Samsung Q70T seems like severe downgrade to the Q70R. I don't mind waiting for the LGs but don't their LCD's usually have awful contrast and local dimming?

Also, one reason why I'm reconsidering the Sony X9500g is that it seems to face blooming issues. Does the Q70R have the same?

Q70R does not have major blooming , its not bothering me at all, i posted few images in a different thread.

Q70R does not have major blooming , its not bothering me at all, i posted few images in a different thread.
Thanks for this! You are correct about 4k@120 FPS not being utterly necessary as well. You've given me a lot to think about.

At this point, your only option is Frame 2020. 900h is too much of a downgrade to be honest. I would say that you don't need hdmi 2.1 for casual gaming, but then if you are spending more than a lakh, there should not be any regrets later. So i will suggest getting Frame for 76ish during sale and then upgrade later in 2022 if possible. This is your best bet.

Hey guys,

Right now I'm using a VU "Premium" Android TV which is thoroughly awful (would only recommend to my enemies) and I am looking to upgrade (budget around 50k-1.2lac). My primary use for a TV is gaming and streaming Video and I will be upgrading to the PS5 and Xbox Series X next year or latest by 2022, which is why I'd like a TV with good HDR performance and contrast. I was fairly certain about buying the Sony X9500G but then I was told that HDMI 2.1 is essential for next gen gaming and that particular Sony did not support it. This throws my other choice out of the Window (Samsung Q70R).
The LG OLEDs are tempting (B9) but I'm worried about burn in, especially since I play a lot of racing games and watch football. Then there's the Sony X9000H, but I don't know what price it will be launched at. Also, as per rtings, its taken a significant dip in brightness compared to the X9500G.

Alternatively, I'm considering the Toshiba 55U7980 as a stop gap tv to last me till a year till I have a bigger budget. (Could also go for the one plus or TCL QLEDs if you guys recommend).

I don't mind waiting for a month or so either, if there's something good coming up.

Also, I know my primary requirements are for gaming, but a sub 20ms input lag isnt a must have for me.

Thanks in advance!

4k 120 fps will not be a big deal for the AAA titles for at least 3-4 years, so you should definitely consider Sony X950G given its incredible picture processing and also it doesnt sacrifice picture quality in game mode unlike Samsung.
Said that, you should not rule out X900H completely, every reviewer has said that the brightness looks weak on paper but in a real life situation, it gets more than plenty bright and some people have even had to reduce brightness. Specs dont always tell the entire story, this TV will be future proof your needs of HDMI 2.1 whenever it becomes mainstream. Expect pricing to be around ~1-1.10 Lac during Diwali.

Well what kind of gamer are you? Are you mostly an offline player like me..if you are a casual offline gamer I dont think it would be a big of a deal. Plus the technnology will take atleast 2-3 years to be the standard norm, and as you have said you would upgrade to a better TV in 1-2 years...why pay a premium for it now when it's still in its nascent stage. I agree that most of the big titles wont use max HDMI 2.1 for atleast the next 3 years. For the toshiba tv.. I'd wait for a couple of months after the TV has launched to know about the performance and after sales support. Wait till Diwali to get some good offers. Also for TV's to use the hdmi 2.1 certification they don't have to support all the features of hdmi 2.1, even compliance with a few features allows them to use it.

At this point, your only option is Frame 2020. 900h is too much of a downgrade to be honest. I would say that you don't need hdmi 2.1 for casual gaming, but then if you are spending more than a lakh, there should not be any regrets later. So i will suggest getting Frame for 76ish during sale and then upgrade later in 2022 if possible. This is your best bet.
Wouldn't the Toshiba I mentioned be a better option than the frame? It's got 700 nits of peak brightness and FALD and should be a decent stopgap at about 50k

Well what kind of gamer are you? Are you mostly an offline player like me..if you are a casual offline gamer I dont think it would be a big of a deal. Plus the technnology will take atleast 2-3 years to be the standard norm, and as you have said you would upgrade to a better TV in 1-2 years...why pay a premium for it now when it's still in its nascent stage. I agree that most of the big titles wont use max HDMI 2.1 for atleast the next 3 years. For the toshiba tv.. I'd wait for a couple of months after the TV has launched to know about the performance and after sales support. Wait till Diwali to get some good offers. Also for TV's to use the hdmi 2.1 certification they don't have to support all the features of hdmi 2.1, even compliance with a few features allows them to use it.
I play both online and offline. Im really into shooters, adventure and racing games.

Wouldn't the Toshiba I mentioned be a better option than the frame? It's got 700 nits of peak brightness and FALD and should be a decent stopgap at about 50k

The way technology is changing specially in televisions with mini LED and micro LED on the way, you will always think of waiting one more year to buy the best option. Thats the issue with tech, it will become obsolete no matter what.
My suggestion would be to go for the best possible TV you can buy in your original budget so you can actually enjoy the next-gen console and its graphical prowess. With more OTA content supporting Dolby Vision and Atmos, you are in for a real treat when it comes to watching movies and TV shows as well.

Also if you have
I play both online and offline. Im really into shooters, adventure and racing games.
Still if you're going to upgrade in a year or two I don't see the point of paying a premium for it now. Let the ps5 come, let a year pass..see the kind of titles coming out ,at what frame rate are the performing ...by that time it's time for your 2 year upgrade.
P.s: if you have anybody coming from u.s Canada during the November December period.. ask them for a purchase of a tv during black friday. The deals are literally insane...I got an ipad retailing in India at 64k at 32 k...ps4 retailing at 43k at 18k when it was launched. Just make sure there is international warranty. Also make them open the box and use ...so they can always say to the customs that it's for personal use.

Also if you have
Still if you're going to upgrade in a year or two I don't see the point of paying a premium for it now. Let the ps5 come, let a year pass..see the kind of titles coming out ,at what frame rate are the performing ...by that time it's time for your 2 year upgrade.
P.s: if you have anybody coming from u.s Canada during the November December period.. ask them for a purchase of a tv during black friday. The deals are literally insane...I got an ipad retailing in India at 64k at 32 k...ps4 retailing at 43k at 18k when it was launched. Just make sure there is international warranty. Also make them open the box and use ...so they can always say to the customs that it's for personal use.
That's where I'll be getting the consoles from :p I think it would be a tough ask to get them to bring a TV as well.

Wit till diwali all the tvs mentioned here will be cheaper by 15-25%.you might get Q90T around 1.2 which is a better option than sony 950g.else go for toshiba as a stopgap

Also if you have
Getting a 55 inch TV from the US? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Its not about 4k@120hz whether consoles or GPU will be powerful enough for that. HDMI 2.1 is needed for VRR which is next big thing and more important for gaming.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back