thoughts on PS3 with PQ70

anand_dk1

Hello experts.
I bought a new LG 42PQ70. so far I am enjoying it. To enhance to entertainment, I was planning to buy a home theater/gaming console/player etc. I was wondering how would the Sony Play station 3 go for my requirements.
Any one using PS3.. Lemme know you opinion on PS3.

Thanks
Anand

Hello experts.
I bought a new LG 42PQ70. so far I am enjoying it. To enhance to entertainment, I was planning to buy a home theater/gaming console/player etc. I was wondering how would the Sony Play station 3 go for my requirements.
Any one using PS3.. Lemme know you opinion on PS3.

Thanks
Anand

You will love a PS3 for its versitality of being a Gaming Console, Blu Ray Player and media player but all this is at a price which is more than a dedicated player as well as you will compromise on few aspects as far as Picture clarity is conserned. A dedicated blu ray player from LG or Philips would cost you lesser than a PS3.

Thanks Ashish.
I had more queries hope you can help me out...
You will love a PS3 for its versitality of being a Gaming Console, Blu Ray Player and media player but all this is at a price which is more than a dedicated player

How about gaming console.. Do we have options for that as well ??

as well as you will compromise on few aspects as far as Picture clarity is conserned. A dedicated blu ray player from LG or Philips would cost you lesser than a PS3.
Can you shed some more light on loss of picture quality ?? I didnt read anywhere about not so good quality of DVD Player.

Can we play Indian Original and copied( pirated) discs on this player. Will region be of much problem ?

Thanks
Anand

How about gaming console.. Do we have options for that as well ??

If you are looking for a just a Gaming console then you have another option in the form of Xbox 360 which is having the advantage of a bigger and better game catalogue otherwise PS3 in itself is a very capable gaming console and games catalogue is soon catching up with Xbox 360. Wii is another console but its games would leave you wanting for more.

Can you shed some more light on loss of picture quality ?? I didnt read anywhere about not so good quality of DVD Player.

Ps3 is ok for picture quality and could be easily compared to the budget players and if your screen size is not on the bigger side i.e 50"+ you shouln't worry.

Can we play Indian Original and copied( pirated) discs on this player. Will region be of much problem ?.

If you buy an Indian Ps3 then you could play any Indian Blu Ray as well as DVD's on it with out any problem. You could even play pirated DVD's on it if its region free or region locked to 5. Unless and untill you don't look at importing disks the region thing should not bother you much.

if you're not much into gaming, stay away from it. You can save tons of money buying a standalone blu ray player. If I remember correctly the older ps3 doestnt bitstream hd audio, the slim one is supposed to do it though.

Another factor to consider is the power requirements. it consumes close to 300w of power, while most of the standalones will be close to 30w. To give you an idea, my pc consumes between 100-150w, including the lcd monitor, wireless router, broadband router, hard disk activity going on etc. If its going to be on for a lot of time, that will amount to significant increase in power bill over a period of time.

I do agree with the power factor, it consumes a lot....

If deceided to buy PS3 (quoting of the above by ASHISH reply for Region coded ),,, better to buy from US/ singapore- Region A- Blu ray, it will play 97% of all pirated DVD's which is availble in India / and all indian Bolly/Kolly/Tolly DVD/Blu ray since here we are releaing region free so No problem with that....
2nd Quote of ASHIH: Picture quality is really good comparing to upscaled DVD player( including sony / Samsung/ Toshiba- Not tested Pioneer). I am projecting to 110" in my Full HD Projector, and it is really doing well with normal DVD's ( Not mentioning Bluray ).. Will post some pictures tonight.

Last Quote: Better to go for PS2 game console or Wii( you will have good excercise) and buy WDTV/ xtreamer( which i am yet to follow)

Regards

if you're not much into gaming, stay away from it. You can save tons of money buying a standalone blu ray player. If I remember correctly the older ps3 doestnt bitstream hd audio, the slim one is supposed to do it though.

Another factor to consider is the power requirements. it consumes close to 300w of power, while most of the standalones will be close to 30w. To give you an idea, my pc consumes between 100-150w, including the lcd monitor, wireless router, broadband router, hard disk activity going on etc. If its going to be on for a lot of time, that will amount to significant increase in power bill over a period of time.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back