Time for another DIY Speaker project

captrajesh

Staff member
Folks, I've recently relocated and have brought a simple set-up of Two-way Bookshelf speakers & Streamer-DAC-Amp for my bedroom.

As the bookshelf speakers have just 5.25" mid-woofers & my room is quite big, I'm looking for better bass output.

Meanwhile, while visiting Hyderabad, I happened to see the sale thread of Fountek Ribbon Tweeters and at the behest of Hydrovac, bought them with an intention to enhance the SQ of my Bookshelfs. But, after rethinking, I decided to rather make two-way bookshelf speakers with atleast 6.5" mid-woofers.

Being away from family, I have some spare time which I can put to good use. I now need to buy the woofers but am undecided on which to use! I have Satori, Seas and Scanspeak drivers in mind. Looking to make speakers with 8 Ohm impedance with a sensitivity of not lesser than 86dB.

Seeking the expert advise of DIY gurus.

Folks, I've recently relocated and have brought a simple set-up of Two-way Bookshelf speakers & Streamer-DAC-Amp for my bedroom.

As the bookshelf speakers have just 5.25" mid-woofers & my room is quite big, I'm looking for better bass output.

Meanwhile, while visiting Hyderabad, I happened to see the sale thread of Fountek Ribbon Tweeters and at the behest of Hydrovac, bought them with an intention to enhance the SQ of my Bookshelfs. But, after rethinking, I decided to rather make two-way bookshelf speakers with atleast 6.5" mid-woofers.

Being away from family, I have some spare time which I can put to good use. I now need to buy the woofers but am undecided on which to use! I have Satori, Seas and Scanspeak drivers in mind. Looking to make speakers with 8 Ohm impedance with a sensitivity of not lesser than 86dB.

Seeking the expert advise of DIY gurus.
Just posting this here in case it is useful as it makes use of a fountek ribbon tweeter by a 5 inch poly cone woofer from SB acoustics:

In my limited understanding ribbon tweeters need to be crossed over a bit higher and could be possible with Satori woofers. In the above design, it is crossed over above 3k Hz.
Also a 6.5 inch woofer with nominal 8 ohm impedance and 86dB+ sensitivity seems a hard combination to get if full baffle step compensation of 6 dB is accounted for. Don't know whether it can be done with Satori woofers. Maybe other companies have such products.
Here (http://www.selahaudio.com/anniversario-kit), I see a similar Satori + ribbon tweeter project with 87.5 dB sensitivity and nominal 5 ohm impedance but not much details are given.

Thanks

Looks good but it uses a 5" Woofer; I'm looking for a 6.5" woofer for better bass extension. And the tweeter is different with a waveguide.
(http://www.selahaudio.com/anniversario-kit), I see a similar Satori + ribbon tweeter project with 87.5 dB sensitivity and nominal 5 ohm impedance but not much details are given.
This looks good but details are sketchy. In any case, I won't be buying the kit. Need only the woofer.
I have Satori, Seas and Scanspeak drivers in mind. Looking to make speakers with 8 Ohm impedance with a sensitivity of not lesser than 86dB.
If anyone has any of the above, I'll happily buy. Can also barter with Alpair 7.3 drivers which are lying unused.

There are three crossover designs provided... very cool!

Which Network are you looking at Capt... far wall, near wall or switchable version?

The RS180 is aluminium cone and the 4 ohm version is better than the 8 ohm version. It is better to use this driver in 3-way as it starts beaming from 900hz. It has very good lows
The paper cone version is more suitable for 2-way and will not have the low end extension as the Alu cone driver. However is can do well with dual 6.5 inch passive radiators.

Ohh!
Not the same as the one the design uses. What diyaudiocart has is the paper cone version. That's what the "P" stands for.
The paper cone version is more suitable for 2-way and will not have the low end extension as the Alu cone driver. However is can do well with dual 6.5 inch passive radiators.
Duh. What do I do now!!
The RS180 is aluminium cone and the 4 ohm version is better than the 8 ohm version.
Is that what you had?
Which Network are you looking at Capt... far wall, near wall or switchable version?
Thought of using the switchable version. Looks like I have to do a course correction now.

Last edited:
I have no clue whether the RS180P-4 available at diyaudiocart is a drop in replacement for the RS180-4.

The course correction would be to send the box to Romit and ask him to design a xover. Need to figure out the box dimensions and volume.

The course correction would be to send the box to Romit and ask him to design a xover. Need to figure out the box dimensions and volume.
@keith_correa looks like I posted in hurry and didn't notice your message. As the above midrange no longer available, time to move on I guess. I want to hang on to the Paper Cone Woofer ordered from DIY Audiocart, get boxes made and send to Romit.

@keith_correa looks like I posted in hurry and didn't notice your message. As the above midrange no longer available, time to move on I guess. I want to hang on to the Paper Cone Woofer ordered from DIY Audiocart, get boxes made and send to Romit.
Where do you see it not available? I see it on the DIYAC website.
Who's Romit?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back