Time for another DIY Speaker project

Where do you see it not available? I see it on the DIYAC website.
The one you linked and what's available on DIYAC site is W4-1337SD and which I had erroneously ordered whereas, the one used in Statements is W4-1337SA.
Who's Romit?
Romit is the person who has designed the speakers that I'm currently using.
I have Four pieces Peerless Fabrikenne(India) 8" Drivers. 8 Ohms. DM if anyone wants those
Thanks for the offer. I'm looking for better woofers like Scanspeak or SBA Satori range.

Last edited:
Folks, I've recently relocated and have brought a simple set-up of Two-way Bookshelf speakers & Streamer-DAC-Amp for my bedroom.

As the bookshelf speakers have just 5.25" mid-woofers & my room is quite big, I'm looking for better bass output.

Meanwhile, while visiting Hyderabad, I happened to see the sale thread of Fountek Ribbon Tweeters and at the behest of Hydrovac, bought them with an intention to enhance the SQ of my Bookshelfs. But, after rethinking, I decided to rather make two-way bookshelf speakers with atleast 6.5" mid-woofers.

Being away from family, I have some spare time which I can put to good use. I now need to buy the woofers but am undecided on which to use! I have Satori, Seas and Scanspeak drivers in mind. Looking to make speakers with 8 Ohm impedance with a sensitivity of not lesser than 86dB.

Seeking the expert advise of DIY gurus.
Have you considered some DIY open baffle speakers?

Have you considered some DIY open baffle speakers?
Thanks to you, I recollect that I already have a pair of fullrange speakers. However, that'll be for later. I'm fixated on the bookshelves for now.
Have been trying Dayton Reference 7 inch paper cone 4 ohm drivers for car. They are very good. Crossed them from 63hz to 4khz 24db slope on active.
Yeah, I'm almost sold on the Daytons because of how high they can be crossed over. I'm only worried on how low they can go considering the rather high
37.7 Hz Fs. Usable Frequency Range as per.spec sheet is from 35 to 8,000 Hz though.

The one you linked and what's available on DIYAC site is W4-1337SD and which I had erroneously ordered whereas, the one used in Statements is .
Some years ago, the part number of W4-1337SA was changed to W4-1337SD for some reason which I don't remember now. It's the same driver with a different part number.
On Curt's 1st page for the Statement Monitors, hover on the PE link to W4-1337SA. Note the PE part number in the URL. Paste that part number in the search box on the PE site. See where it leads you.
I had checked the availability of the drivers before recommending this design to you.

Some years ago, the part number of W4-1337SA was changed to W4-1337SD for some reason which I don't remember now. It's the same driver with a different part number.
Ohh! That's news to me.
On Curt's 1st page for the Statement Monitors, hover on the PE link to W4-1337SA. Note the PE part number in the URL. Paste that part number in the search box on the PE site. See where it leads you.
Our office PCs don't have internet access. No desktop at home either. Hence I prefer to browse from my mobile and tab. The link when copied is this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-848&CFID=466166&CFTOKEN=21237985
leads me here:

Screenshot_2021-09-21-11-15-20-40_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

May be the stocks have exhausted now.

Ohh! That's news to me.

Our office PCs don't have internet access. No desktop at home either. Hence I prefer to browse from my mobile and tab. The link when copied is this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-848&CFID=466166&CFTOKEN=21237985
leads me here:

View attachment 62159

May be the stocks have exhausted now.
The PE site has changed since the writeup hence you get a 404. Don't click on the link. HOVER on it. You see the part number there: 264-848. Now on the PE site search for 264-848. Voila!

You can request desktop page in chrome app on mobile. There is a "Desktop site"

Check box, refer the below snapshot.
Still no provision to hover. Anyways, here's an update:

Purchased a pair of Scanspeak 15W/8531K00. Though they're 5.25 drivers, the F (-3dB) is 39 Hz in ported enclosure and would be sonically much superior to the Daytons. I got a lightly used pair for an attractive 20k. Now need to research if any proven designs exist for this combination.

Last edited:
Hi Capt. Congrats on the scans. I missed a large chunk of the conversation. I have a pair of rs180-4. They were used in my car for 3 years and were in a box for another 6(!). There are fairly similar in T/s profile what I measured when I used them first. Cone etc all perfect cosmetic conduction. Inner Basket has some paint peeling. I was planning to repurpose them but that
looks like vision 2025. So…

…yours free if you pick them up from 122002.

Interesting!

Ohh! Just bought the Scanspeak drivers. Wouldn't have splurged on them had I got to know of these. Looks like I now need to run two parallel projects. :)

Will touch base with you right away.
Sure dm me. I will send you some photos. if Okay, you can collect them from my place..

Sure dm me. I will send you some photos. if Okay, you can collect them from my place..
Sent you PM and my WhatsApp No.
Check this out. been testing newly arrived dayton drivers on active mode. planning to install them all in car soon. discovered this could potentially sound good in home room too.
Interesting! Are they Aluminium Cone or Paper Cone Woofers?
Recomend you to try an active setup with DSP.
I'm gravitating towards this I guess. Any pointers which ones to use?

Dayton DSP will fit better as it can be directly powered with 12 volt adapter (supplied wih the DSP).
It is better than miniDSP and has a simple and straight forward software interface.

Helix is superior, but will not recomend for home application.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back