Time for LED TVs - Help/Suggestions required

nitin88g

Dear,

My new flat is ready and yes, I need to buy new TV that matches to my need.
At my home town, the 15years old CRT TV is also getting ready to replaced with LED TV

Requirement is simple

For Flat
1. Superb picture/sound quality, and I can get external music box to get better sound experience.
2. Support for multiple devices, easy to go
3. Smart Features are much needed [wifi, skype etc....]
4. 50-55" TV. I wouldn't prefer 3D. I don't like 3D in theaters, feel like 2D on big screen is much better than 2-3mins of 3D magic. But I must say, never tried 3D in TV. If it's worth every penny, I would choose. After all, it will be there for years
5. Most importantly Longevity and Warranty.
6. 1080p Must

For Hometown
1. Good picture and excellent sound quality as my parents don't want to plug external hifi music system. Simply they don't watch any content like that
2. Smart Features are good to have
3. 40-46" TV. Definitely 2D
4. Hassle free ownership as it will be used by my parents and they don't need anything too advanced. it's only for watching movies and serials.
5. My dad wants 1080p as going forward in next 5yrs, every channel can be HD!!

Everywhere we use DTH, no cable operators.
I prefer IPS panels, I believe the color reproduction is better? [correct me]
Better refresh rate, it should be more than 100Hz [I am not sure how much this gets reflected in practical apart from theory. basically a flawless motion in tv]

I want more Value For Money [VFM] as I am going to purchase both at same time and definitely huge burden on my wallet. I want these to be withstand or do their job for at least next 10years.

I would prefer a manufacturer who gives more warranty and premium build even if it makes budget slightly high, but it should be still VFM.

Last edited:
Are you joking ???:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

i second hemant,on the life of LED TV,s maximum life is 4-5 years.

i bought top of the line philips LED ambilight TV but in 3 years it has gone,on survey with other people and sales man ,the verdict is flat panels, life 3-4 years ,as it is glass panel and PCB,sonly.

Before buying LED TV,s ,i had experience with CRT,s which are repaireble and last aeons of time,those were the TV,s

+1 to above 2 posts.

I don't think the new generation LED TVs last for more than 4-5 years. I was told that the previous gen LCD TVs had better life span than the new generation LED lit TVs. I think the new TVs are like the new mobile phones, the manufacturer expect you to use it for 2 years and then throw it and get a new one. The technology in TV is changing so fast nowadays that you will not get any replacement components or proper service of your current TV after 2 years :(. Sad, but that is the truth.

my 14 year old Sony CRT and 9 year old Sony 3LCD projection are still running strong :thumbsup:. I thought of upgrading them, but staying away because of the same reasons. I will let them run for their maximum life span :).

My 2 cents.

-John.

After seeing the sorrystate of flat panels,i wish TV companies came up with something similar in picture quality with CRT televisions.

CRT are more reliable and can be repaired anytime,and anywhere.

recently i was reading on the net on one forum,where it was quoted that LED and plasma,s cost is quite similar,but the buyers are extorted and fleeced in the name of improvement and advancement in technology.

Considering eco concerns and weight wise flat panels are worth rs.15000 in working condition after 3 years

I too make my mind 2 years back to shift to LCD/LED. But after spending 2-3 months to slect the perfect one, I came to conclusion to stay with my 10 year old SONY 25" Flat Trinitron. And I swear ( on SD channels) no other LED/LCD or so called " SMART PANELS" came even near to the picture quality as I enjoy on my Golden era SONY Trinitron. Till date from the purchase this Monster never ever had any kind of issue/ Problem/ Failure/ Serviced. Can We expect the same performance from LED's. ?
Sorry Nitin dont get dishearten . This is my personal opinion and observation.

+1 to above 2 posts.

I don't think the new generation LED TVs last for more than 4-5 years. I was told that the previous gen LCD TVs had better life span than the new generation LED lit TVs.

-John.

I have a Sony Bravia LCD (100 Hz, FHD), 4 years and counting, still looks like new. No issues so far.

Yeah, I have seen several lcd tvs from sony lg which are running strong since last 5 yrs... I have 5 examples in my family... So I think lcds were durable... Leds are new tech and my exp is not not more than 2 years on leds at home and in family...only time wiil have an answer on its durability ... Hope they serve us at least for 5 to 7 years... and I belive sticking with known proven brands like sony lg samsung panasonic toshiba is recommended... All the best...

Very True. Old is Gold. I bought a Samsung LED TV for 1.5laksh a year ago (by replacing my 29" Philips CRT that worked perfectly for 10+yrs & is still working in my maid's house) & just when it crossed the warranty of 1 year the panel stopped working & the service guys said I need to replace it for Rs. 50,000. I felt totally cheated.Now, I dont know what to do. I feel like suing the company or approach a consumer court but the only worry is that the product crossed the warranty period.

Can you please advice on the steps I need to take to ensure I get some justice?

My brother had to change1 national plasma,s in the last 6 years,few months back his 2nd plasma,which had replaced his previous non working plasma has thin fine line in the center of the 50 inches panel.which has been diagonised un repairable or change of faulty panel

I am new to LCD/LED panels, but just to be clear, Aren't the Panel life dependent on view hours rather than number of years ?
If yes, than how much of view hours before the panel dies ?

I am new to LCD/LED panels, but just to be clear, Aren't the Panel life dependent on view hours rather than number of years ?
If yes, than how much of view hours before the panel dies ?

good point. I would like to see something on this. So, technically if usage hours are more within 1 year of warranty and the screen dies, company is ready to replace but not when out of year???

Buying LED/LCD TV do not forget to insist on extended warranty,at least you can enjoy your TV comfortably till the period of extended warranty

Sorry for late reply, been out for a while. My total budget for 2TVs is 1.50L

I went to Bajaj Electronics, seen couple of models

1. Sony w9xx models are blown away by color reproduction.
2. LG is equally good though not par with Sony
3. Samsung is out of the list as not much happy with it's quality
4. Panasonic is not at all sold by them

Btw, I have seen LG UHD Tv[55" i guess], it's awesome. I couldn't believe the quality of picture. I just fell in love with that. [3L :( ]
I have seen LG OLED Tv too. It's 10L [no words] :D

Many LCD monitors,which came in about 2002,replacing CRT computer monitors,are still running strong.I purchased a dell LCD monitor in 2006,still running strong without any issue.I wonder is there a significant technology difference between LED/LCD TVs and computer LED monitors,that monitors can run longer,not TVs. only factors is if company stop producing spares after two years, customer can do nothing more other than to throw it away.Longevity thus is dependent on company,rather than usage of consumer.

Hi

Here are some links which will help to steer your decision to make the appropriate decision....

LCD vs LED vs Plasma

LED vs LCD vs plasma TV - Which? Technology

Can LED LCD look as good as plasma? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

CNET's guide to 3D TV: What you (still) need to know | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

Whats the Difference Between Active 3D and Passive 3D TVs? | eBay

Bottom line is to go window shopping and select a few brands and models which appeal to you in terms of features, connectivity, performance, size, audio output etc and the most of all your budget.....not forgetting warranty which plays a very important role for all of us.

Besides Toshiba, I don't think there are other players out there who offer 3 years although I heard Sharp may offer the same in the next few months or so....the other big brands offer extended warranty through extra payment...
Hope this helps.

I am planning to buy a used Samsung UA55f6400,a 55 inch 3d,smart led.
I would like any inputs for whuch I should look before closing in the deal.
Especially the usage hours of the tv,how can I check the Number of hours for which this tv has been used.
I am getting it for 60k asking price,is it a gud price or should I go in for some negotiation?
Any additional tips befor buying a used led.It's a july 2013 purchase,any idea of figures I am going to be looking at for usage hours?
Earlier the seller was not sure of wheter he is having a bill or not,but now he's saying that he can arrange either for a duplicate bill from croma or will try to search for old one.Do croma really issue duplicate bill when asked for an already sold good 1.5years later?
Should I put in this much of worry,on getting a bill or can I buy it without bill as well?
The seller is saying he was having 1 year warranty and now I would be able to buy an additional warranty now,can it be true with a gap of 5 months with nil warranty period?
Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back