Timed charging

zebrafish

Hi all,
I need a suggestion for not over charging my iPhone, iPad and iPod.
Is there any way I put my devices for charging for 2-3 hrs everyday during my sleep and the switch switches off automatically.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

no way except using a timed switch. the simplest way i see is, build a 555 timer circuit with a 9VDC coil side and 230V AC contact side relay. the 555 timer will operate the relay and relay will switch 230VAC. you will have to adjust timing via a potentiometer. cost would not go more than 250 bucks max

Hi all,
I need a suggestion for not over charging my iPhone, iPad and iPod.
Is there any way I put my devices for charging for 2-3 hrs everyday during my sleep and the switch switches off automatically.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I don't think you need to worry about this one. The electronics in most of the new devices is smart enough to know when to stop. Most of the in built chargers will switch to trickle charging a little before the battery is fully charged.

Most chargers will cut-off after the equipment reaches full charge.....you need not worry about over charging your product......

Apple devices do not get over charged .. Is this a apple claimed statement ...?

Thanks

Yes. See the answer to the 7th question in the following article:

iPod battery frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Although it is an old article, I am sure things would only have improved since then.

Question: Should I leave iPod connected to the charger or in the dock whenever I'm not using it?
Answer: The battery stops charging when it's full. Leaving it connected won't charge it any more. It's perfectly OK to leave it connected so it can charge overnight, for example.

Here is a more generic article from Apple on batteries

Apple - Batteries

From the article:

Most lithium-ion polymer batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Reviving an old thread coz I am looking for a similar auto-off switch. Can anyone help locate one?

I am looking for a mechanical spring wound auto off switch. No fancy programmable one, etc.

Thanks a ton, folks!

Koolpal,

I have a mechanical device that does the job. It has a 24 hour clock setting. Switch on and off time can be set for 15 minute intervals and multiple such jobs can be set for a day. It consumes almost no power and is totally mechanical. I used to use it for switching on and off the lights of an aquarium that I once had.

I can send you the details about it with photos after a few days. At present I am on a tour. I won't be able to send it to you since I am in India and not Canada.

I have a mechanical device that does the job. It has a 24 hour clock setting. Switch on and off time can be set for 15 minute intervals and multiple such jobs can be set for a day. It consumes almost no power and is totally mechanical. I used to use it for switching on and off the lights of an aquarium that I once had.

I can send you the details about it with photos after a few days.

That sounds cool. Could you share the details?

I won't be able to send it to you since I am in India and not Canada.
Are you planning to dispose it off? I'm interested if it is so provided I can afford it.

That sounds cool. Could you share the details?

Are you planning to dispose it off? I'm interested if it is so provided I can afford it.

It plugs into the socket and there's a large dial to set when you want the power to flow and when you don't want the power to flow. The settings are done in 15 minute intervals and it can be practically set to switch on and off every 15 minutes for the whole day if that is needed. I had bought it to use with my aquarium when I was out of town for switching the lights.

I had no plans about it but I shall be happy to dispose it off since I am no longer using it. I'll send you the details after a few days. It's not a very expensive item.

Back