Tower Speakers / Floor Standing Speakers for Marantz SR6013

Today visited cinebels and audition of

Klipsch R-610F

I liked the overall sound overall. However thought the details are lacking. Not inclined to buy these.

I also had auditioned Klipsch (almost their entire lineup) albeit a short one, i found the signature to be very bright and ear piercing while i was impressed with the lower end tightness. It might work well for movies , but not that much for music.

I think you may also look at the IndiqAudio Platinum Achal’s. They are excellent, when it comes to sound reproduction across all ranges. Crisp Highs and Mids (Not Ear Fatiguing at all) and has good tight bass for stereo listening too.
I have been driving these for the last 2 days paired with the Saptak mono as stereo and they really put a smile on your face when you listen to your favourite track.

These are rated at 8ohms and 94DB sensitivity so any amp can happily drive these and these do outperform some of the towers that are twice as expensive as they are.

Regards,
Som

Today I took audition of some more speakers.

All speakers were auditioned with Marantz SR-7010 using flac files in Pure Direct

Dali Oberon 5

They were not overwhelming in physical appearance. But very good in performance.
Highs were easy for ears, lows punchy and mids were also clear. At higher volume mid was little strained.. Overall it was really good and will remain in my shortlisted speakers as of now

Fyne Audio F303

Speakers were looking real good
Highs were bright not very harsh. May not be liked by those who love warm sound
Mids were not detailed and not impressive.
I found the lows lacking the punch
Not going to be in the shortlist

XTZ 95.44

I was not planning for this, but listened to the speakers as the same was available for demo.

Low, Mid, High all sounded very well controlled and balanced. Mids were clear from low to high volume without any distortion. I liked the overall performance.
Speakers are huge comparing to others above. Look of the speakers are bland. It has tri-amping facility. It's the only three way speakers among what I have auditioned.

Budget is main challenge to consider this speaker. Additionally the height may disturb the projected image while watching movie. Not sure if this will be selected.

All auditions were done at Max Home Theatre at Alandur Chennai.

Yet to take audition of Qacoustics 3050i.

Max Home Theatre may have the same for audition in around ten days. Also Mission Speakers may be available.

Note: Grand Cinemas at Kodambakkam, Chennai seems to be closed.

Today had audition of QAcoustics 3050i speakers, it was very pleasing for the ears and found it to be really good. As of now this will be my choice of speakers to buy.

Now I thought of changing the centre speaker along with the front speakers. Currently using Wharf 10CS.

I listened to QAcoustics 3090ci. Wasnt impressed with this.
I also listened to QAcoustics concept centre and it was much more clear and I quiet liked it.

Is it necessary to have centre from the same series, or is it ok to mix with different model?

Today had audition of QAcoustics 3050i speakers, it was very pleasing for the ears and found it to be really good. As of now this will be my choice of speakers to buy.

Now I thought of changing the centre speaker along with the front speakers. Currently using Wharf 10CS.

I also listened to QAcoustics concept centre and it was much more clear and I quiet liked it.

Is it necessary to have centre from the same series, or is it ok to mix with different model?
Its the GOAT when it comes to budget speakers!

which one did you like better between the 3050i and the oberon 5?

Not neccesarily, same brand centers work just fine most of the time. I used a 3090i with a C20, never found any timbre related issues so i dont think you will face with a Concept centre as well.

Concept 20/40 houses the same driver as the 3020i/3050i with a different implementation of the overall cabinet construction and hence sounds more refined and detail but from a timbre perspective mixing and matching the center channel between the Concept/3090ci should absolutely work fine

Its the GOAT when it comes to budget speakers!

which one did you like better between the 3050i and the oberon 5?

I liked the 3050i. Oberon 5 is very close.

I listened same tracks in both low volume and high volume.

In lower volume oberon was sounding little lesser comparing to 3050i

In higher volume 3050i maintained the clarity and oberon was struggling very little.

If I didnt compare it I wouldnt have noticed.

Though I didnt discuss much about pricing, I think oberon is pricier than 3050i

Not neccesarily, same brand centers work just fine most of the time. I used a 3090i with a C20, never found any timbre related issues so i dont think you will face with a Concept centre as well.

Concept 20/40 houses the same driver as the 3020i/3050i with a different implementation of the overall cabinet construction and hence sounds more refined and detail but from a timbre perspective mixing and matching the center channel between the Concept/3090ci should absolutely work fine
Thanks. I can go for concept centre in that case.

Do you mean to say drivers of 3050i and concept 40 are same?

Specifications show they are different. From the size to all other parameters.

3050i has 165mm drivers where concept 40 has 125mm drivers

The 3020i and Concept 20 share a similar driver so thought they would have done the same for the FS versions as well. Looks like its not the case when extended to FS, but dont worry on the timbre matching part , the Concept centre would just go fine.

Last edited:
Polk S55 are great speakers for their price. I am using them in my setup for last 1 year and they still surprise me. For close to 2 months, all I had was Yamaha AVR paired with S55s. Then added a center channel and used this 3.0 setup for 10 months before bringing a sub onboard and made the setup 3.1

This week, it'll get further expanded to 5.1 Taga 806S surround speakers are waiting at home for configuration.

S55s are so good, I feel they can do a great job in just a stereo setup as well. They go as low as 32hz and produce 200w. Their 7in woofer in speaker has a super punch and overall sound stage that it creates is amazing. I did a review and this week, I am planning to do a detailed review with test tracks and one year usage impressions. Will share the link when done.

To summarize, I doubt I could have bought a better towers for my money - and this was after months of extended audition & research here in India and US.

Hi Ravi

I am not sure if I asked this already in your YouTube channel. Is S60 worth enough for the extra money compared to S55? Also, is it possible to do tone match with other brand center channel like Klipsch reference? For me S30 bit bulky before TV and S35, I didn't see much positive reviews..

Yes sir - I have posted videos of some of the equipements I own. Thought - it might be useful for like minded people.
I am now a fan of Ravi and following all his videos esp. after hearing audiophiles from US region, seeing Ravi's video giving me a close connect esp with our style of audiophile. Wish to see more such videos Ravi. One request..try bring in some more technical inputs to your videos..like how speakers handle the dynamic ranges, crossovers etc..

@shinshya - One gentleman called Selvakumar asked me the same question on my channel. Tweeter is same in both, S60 has one extra mid bass speaker which makes the whole sound stage experience great. I listened to both, and S60 definitely had better depth and feel to audio. But then it costs 50% more than S55 and is bigger and heavier.

Also, if you are planning to go 5.1 or above, spending a fortune on front towers doesn't make much sense.
Its me..ha ha. I joined here Ravi on yesterday.

Today visited profx at Chennai to taken an audition of Polk-S55

Initially it was connected with Denon X550BT in stereo mode.
Speaker was sounding un-impressive. No low end punch, no stereo imaging and poor mids.
Profx didnt have X3600H or X4500H which could have given near real impression of my Marantz SR-6013

Switched to regular stereo amp 1520AE paried with S55
Pure delight. It was sounding very good, detailed and pleasant.

As such speakers are quiet nice.

Also listened to S60 speakers.

S60 was sounding more room-filled and heavy. But the thrill of S55 was missing. Also did not feel any major sonic difference for the higher price of S60. In my opinion S55 is more VFM

I will try and get audition for Q-Acoustics 3050i
Great to hear ur feedback and i feel my question is mostly answered, which i posted Mr. Ravi couple of times too. I too thought of going there, but not sure how ask this to my spouse.. She will kill me if I say I am going out for speaker audition in this pandemic situation..

I am now a fan of Ravi and following all his videos esp. after hearing audiophiles from US region, seeing Ravi's video giving me a close connect esp with our style of audiophile. Wish to see more such videos Ravi.

Thank you.

try bring in some more technical inputs to your videos..like how speakers handle the dynamic ranges, crossovers etc..

Thanks again for this - I'll definitely try. I am still new to this. Learning with the feedbacks from folks like you.

I am planning to taken Qacoustics concept 40 along with Qacoustics concept centre.

I liked the sound quality of concept centre. However It has only 4 inch drivers. Will it be a challenge for 20x13 size listening area.

Anyone is using Qacoustics concept centre?

Finally purchase Q-Acoustics Concept 40 towers and Q-Acoustics Concept Center.

Thanks to all who took effort in guiding me on this purchase.
Congrats Jeyaraj,

Im also in a similar situation, upgrading my HT, and I'm almost convinced with Polk S60 with S30.

Can you tell me a few points about what you liked about concept 40 as against the Polk?
Thanks,
George

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back