Transformer suggestions for my Yamaha V673

sudheer.muttam

Hi All,

this is my first post in this forum.I am getting my First ever AVR. It is Yamaha AVR V673. I am getting this from US. Can some one tell me what sort of transformer i need to buy so that i wont have any issues with the receiver ( Remember it doesnt have warranty in INDIA).

thanks a ton in advance.

Sudheer Muttam

if posible try to get maxine brand, which is one of the reliable,and best bang for bucks.;)

U will need a minimum 1.5kva step down... I bought mine from a known source on laminton road Mumbai for Rs 3700 but don't really know a source in Bangalore ... Branded ones like Maxine will cost u 5k+...

U will need a minimum 1.5kva step down... I bought mine from a known source on laminton road Mumbai for Rs 3700 but don't really know a source in Bangalore ... Branded ones like Maxine will cost u 5k+...

Where in Lamington Road ? I too have the same AVR.

Where in Lamington Road ? I too have the same AVR.

Srry for the late reply... Anyway I forgot the name of the shop but I have bought wires & stuff from him fairly regularly so he is trustworthy(atleast for me)... This shop is located in the rightside lane after the police station... Basically when u go start from rupam , 1st the right hand side u will see the laminton road police station... The next roght lane after that will be a lane filled with electrical shops(wires etc)... In that lane the 8-10th shop on the right hand side is the shop I am talking about... It's a very nicely built newer shop & he will have pretty good wire roll on the glass display... He also stocks pretty decent speaker wires which when I enquired was around Rs96/mt for a 12awg ofc wire... I will see later if I can find his card or contact details...

EDIT
Ok so I found the guy's card & uploading it for ur reference
typeza8u.jpg

Last edited:
Naving

As you are from Mumbai just check out olx. Some time back there was a guy who had 1 KV and 1.5 KV new transformers for sale.( That's what he had written. You will have to go and chech them out for yourself) He had six or seven he want to sell. Asking price was Rs 2000/- for 1.5KV and 1500/- for 1KV . Give him an offer you should get it cheaper

1KV will be more than enough for the yamaha.

I would like to add that the main component in a transformer that determines its quality is the amt of copper used in it... When I bought my transformer, I compared the weights of the 1kva vs the 1.5kva side by side... I did this mainly coz the 1.5kva was more than double the cost of the 1kva(3700vs1700)...I was surprised to note that the 1.5kva weighed more than double the 1kva... Logic would suggest that it should be only about 50% more... The owner explained to me that 1kva is normally used in home environment while the 1.5kva onwards is normally used in commercial establishments... Thus higher amt of copper is used to give it better reliability... That really pushed me towards buying the 1.5 even at double the cost of the 1kva... BTW my receiver is only rated "80W/ch" & Ashish from avenue sound told me that I can't settle for a 1kva one as its known to trip the avr3600 at higher volumes... Now I can't really argue with Ashish on this issue coz he sells hundreds of equipments with a transformer & basically knows what he is talking about... Now the 673 is supposed to have even higher W/ch than my receiver so I personally won't really recommend settling for a 1kva transformer... Also buy a high quality one rather than just buying on the based on "this is the same wattage but cheaper" rule... The guy from olx might be selling 1.5kva ones cheap as less copper might have been put into it.... Not trying to trash another FMs recommendations but just trying to warn u to make a informed choice... Worst case scenario if u are still confused & can't decide just buy the Maxine one even if it is a bit costlier :) ...

The guy from olx is selling them cheap as he had picked them up at an auction of the US consulate when they were shifting from south mumbai to bkc. I presume the US consulate must have bought some good stuff. Just because he is selling them cheap does not mean its of inferior quality. As I said its best for Naving to go and check them out, who knows he may be getting a good deal.

Just to clarify I don't know the seller just read the Advt on olx.

The guy from olx is selling them cheap as he had picked them up at an auction of the US consulate when they were shifting from south mumbai to bkc. I presume the US consulate must have bought some good stuff. Just because he is selling them cheap does not mean its of inferior quality. As I said its best for Naving to go and check them out, who knows he may be getting a good deal.

Just to clarify I don't know the seller just read the Advt on olx.

Problem is u have not put up a link just said there is some guy on olx selling for cheap(BTW if these are used then the 1kva one is not cheap)... Yes if its scarp from the US consulate then it will definitely be of very good quality... Infact they might be insolation type which would be a super deal...Infact I would buy one 1.5kva one for my self to keep as spare if thats the case... Prob is I am searching olx & cant seem to find the listing...Could u post the link of the listing...

step down transformer

220v 110v

transformer

PS I questioned the quality of the product coz u stated that they were "new" transformers.... Now that u have stated that they were picked up in a scarp auction of the US consulate things make a bit more sense...

Last edited:
As per the seller they are new and were surplus stock. Thats what the seller claimed. You will have to check it out for yourself.

Here is the link

Brand new power converters ( 220 volts to 110 volts a.c. ) - Mumbai - Home Appliances - Electronics - Vikhroli East

Lolz in a 100 guesses I would never have guess power converters :D ... I guess I should have searched 220 volts & 110 volts... Anyway I hardly think they would be unused... Of course in places like the consulate they have dust free AC rooms with their power supply being very well regulated so I would not shock me that even if they were used for a few years they would seem brand new to the average consumer... Anyway I will contact him today & see if he has any 1.5 kva left...

I bought a good step down unit from the mfrs Universal Transformers on SP Road last year for my Marantz AV 7005 prepro-happy so far. 66/6 1st Floor SP Road Blr-2, Ph 22223479/41243692

As per the seller they are new and were surplus stock. Thats what the seller claimed. You will have to check it out for yourself.

Here is the link

Brand new power converters ( 220 volts to 110 volts a.c. ) - Mumbai - Home Appliances - Electronics - Vikhroli East

I spoke to this guy, he doesn't actually know anything abt the transformers, and he said the weight of the 1.5k unit should be 500 grams. I was wondering can a half Kg transformer drive an AVR.
What do you think ?
This guy lives far from my place (I live in Malad West), so going there and finding something like a Power adapter will be a huge disappointment.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back