Tried & tested good recording Cd's

HI Hifiashok

On XRCD you only get Eagles HFO and Dire Straits BIA. Other titles of these artists are not available on XRCD. Also no title of Clapton is available on XRCD.

HI Hifiashok

On XRCD you only get Eagles HFO and Dire Straits BIA. Other titles of these artists are not available on XRCD. Also no title of Clapton is available on XRCD.

u r correct, for dire straits/dire straits in my post pl. read dire straits/bia.

One more vote for First Impression Music. Their XRCDs as well as HDCDs are just perfect.

Water Lily Acoustics have some Indian music releases, they are great too.

...and of course, Chesky and Linn are great.

If you like well recorded CDs, and are ready to pay for them, then you have two options:
  1. Buy them from Acoustic Sounds
  2. or, contact Absolute Phase, that is Prithvi (on this forum). He can get them from you

I am looking forward to high resolution downloads from Chesky and Linn. The initial experience has been good, but I need a good enough DAC to enjoy the 96Khz/24bit studio master recordings. My Denon AVR 2809 does not do it the way I want. NAD C565BEE is too expensive. The closest I can get is CA DACMagic. Without a good DAC we will just end up making statements like "I cant hear any difference...".

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi Audiogurus

Of late I have realised that no matter how an expensive system you have, everthing would be just a waste of time, efforts and money unless you don't have a quality recorded source CD.

If I could have people pen down the Cd's albumbs to they've listened too :clapping:(with name of co press- sony/ bmg/ Vertigo etc.) then that could you help us all to acheive best results....

Kindest regards

Hi Helium
IN THE END WHAT YOU"VE BOUGHT? How is the quality of recordings?
Any findings?

you bought turntable? which?Which vinyl and xrcd's you bought? at what price?

by xrcd rips you mean mp3 right???

Hi,

Will not buy TT as it is an expensive proposition.
XRCD=XRCD and not MP3

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Hi All,
just wondering if we rip a cd we get creatures like mp3, wav flac. If we rip XRCD what do we get. Thanks in advance. Just want to know the name to enhance my knowledge will never search for them in internet.;)
Thanks.

Hi All,
just wondering if we rip a cd we get creatures like mp3, wav flac. If we rip XRCD what do we get. Thanks in advance. Just want to know the name to enhance my knowledge will never search for them in internet.;)
Thanks.

Hi!

XRCDs are basically NORMAL CDs but have extremely good mastering and the actual quality of the CD itself is superior to most out there. The build quality is to ensure minimum reading errors etc.

When you rip an XRCD, you get what you get with normal CDs....wav, flacs etc.
Just that the XRCD mastering is out of this world so it sounds much better than a normal CD.

When you rip XRCD , you get a normal CD, The 96/192 recording cannot be copied ( or I didnt know how to copy ) and you loose the resolution which is present in XRCD. I tried coping the Linda Rosenthal XRCD but there was hell a lot of difference between the original XRCD and the copied one.

When you rip XRCD , you get a normal CD, The 96/192 recording cannot be copied ( or I didnt know how to copy ) and you loose the resolution which is present in XRCD. I tried coping the Linda Rosenthal XRCD but there was hell a lot of difference between the original XRCD and the copied one.

Hi Tharun,
what you are saying may be true but I am not sure about it. At the end of the day CD is a storage media and data is transferred to it from a external computer. Theoritically what goes in must comes out but it a proper procedure needs to be followed. Today for the fisrt time I downloaded a XRCD rip of Jazz in the pawn shop XRCD. I had to go through lot of processes to be able to get the .ape image file burnt in a CD. I must say I was mighty impressed when I played it in my system. I must say this is the closest sound from a CD I heard that can compete with a new vinyl.Still I think Vinyl beats it by a small margin. If I have to spend that kind of money for my music(XRCD) I will definitely go for Vinyl.
Thanks.

Tharun,

You are actually somewhat mistaken here. First there is no 96Khz/24bit data on XRCD's. XRCDs are absolutely NORMAL 16bit CDs - pure REDBOOK. The music has been MASTERED in 20 bit or 24 bit depending on the JVC K2 Chip. An XRCD has a two part process. It has special mastering AND special manufacturing of the actual CD.

Here is some material to read:

extended
resolution
compact
disc2
from jvc Welcome to JVC's EXTENDED RESOLUTION COMPACT DISC 2 (xrcd2). The xrcd2 represents JVC's continuing commitment to the pursuit of digital audio perfection. This ongoing evolution of the xrcd series allows the discerning listener to participate in the results of JVC's research and development in both mastering and manufacturing, hardware and methodology. As with the entire xrcd series, no proprietary chips, processors, or special compact disc players are required to enjoy the sonic benefits of xrcd2.
In most cases after a record has been mastered, a U-MATIC 1630 format tape, PMCD, or DDP tape is perpared and shipped to the manufacturing plant At this point the artist, producer, and engineers can only hope their work will return to them in a relatively unchanged orom. This manufacturing chain is not standardized, and while digitally correct, does not always reproduce the highest audio qua;ity possible.Since the manufacturing process works as a number of components linked ttogether in series, the overall perfomance can be limited by each stage. This means extreme care and attention must be paid to every aspect of mastering and manufacuring to successsfully capture the original recorded performance.This was accomplished not by just measuring the results, but in extensive listening tests to determine the best configuration. Everyy combination of equiment, connection,AC power regulation, word clock distribution, mastering format delivery, and compact disc that offers clearer definition, more accurate imaging, and higher audio quality than any compact disc before.

The xrcd2 proxess starts at mastering. The analog signal is taken directly from the custom mastering console and digized using JVC's K2 20 BIT ANALOG-TO DIGITAL CONVERTER. The 20 bit digital word is then sent through JVC's DIGITAL K2, which is a digital re-generator. This 20 bit digital signal is then transferred toa a SONY PCM-9000, which stores the information on a MAGNETO-OPTICAL DISK. The xrcd2 process takes advantage of the stability of the MAGNETO-OPTICAL DISK, as well as its 20 bit capacity, by using it as the audio storage medium for delivery to manufacturing.

At the JVC manufacturing plant in Yokohama, Japan, the 20 bit SONY PCM-9000 MAGNETO-OPTICAL DISK is played back through the DIGITAL K2. This step climinates any jitter and distortion that might occur to the digital signal during playback. The 20 bit word is then converted to 16 bit using K2 SUPER CODING, which insures true 16 bit dynamic range. The 16 bit signal is then EFM encoded, and sent to the K2 LASER The K2 LASER re-generates the EFM signal right before going to the laser of the glass cuttrt. This last stage of the K2 eliminates any time based jitter that may be present in the data stream.

The end result of this mastering and manufacturing process is the highest wuality transfer from the original master tape to compact disc. This attention to detail allows the listener to enjoy the music in the same way the artist, producer, and engineers intended it to bo enjoyed. Every nuance of the oerformance is duplicated as it was recorded. This is the EXTENDED RESOLUTION COMPACT DISC 2 ...listen and compare.

xrcd.gif

About "XRCD"

Last edited:
The reason I started this thread was that I spent 30k on CD's in the last month for a friend of mine and have been very disappointed with the recordings.

Entire Greateful dead albumbs/ Jethro Tull etc... had with such poor recordings, could have simply listened to them on internet radio station....hence I request all who've actually listened to good recording pressed labels to pen them down.

I actually still intend to purchase the below albumbs

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Allman Brothers
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Chet Atkins
Gary Moore
Pink Floyd
Allman brothers
Allan parson project
Eagles
Direstraits
Fourplay
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Uriah heep
Chugh mann jones
Jethro Tull
Bob Marley
Hootie & blowfish
Neil Young
Vienna Teng
Chick Corea-Akoustic Band
Ella Fitzgerald
Dave Brubeck
Beeges
ABBA

This is the first time in my life i've come across someone who listens to Gary Moore. Try "Wild Frontier". In my opinion, it's his best album to date. But it's extremely rare. I don't think you'll find it in India. I got this cd in the US, abt 15 years back. Even there, it was not in stock & had to order from a store catalogue & got it after a week. Needless to say, it's one of my prized possessions which I would never give away to anyone

Arvind

I have Still Got The Blues....look forward to picking up Wild Frontier. Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like I already have this CD in my collection...I wasn't aware of it!

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back