Turned off the fan and heard a Click/crackle noise in my speaker

sydney

So as the heading states whenever I turn off or change the speed of the fan (only one fan from where the electrical connection to the setup is provided) i hear a click/crackle sound thru my speakers.
setup
Mains --> APC BR1000 UPS --> Sound foundations POWERBASE power filter and protection unit --> AudioNote OTO PP --> AudioNote AZ3 spkrs

What I have tried (both with 3 & 2 pin power cords for AMP):
1. No music played, turn the fan on/off ----> Result: click/crackle sound
2. No music played mains switch off, now receiving power from UPS battery, turn the fan on/off ----> Result: click/crackle sound
3. No music played mains switch off and unplugged, now receiving power from UPS battery, turn the fan on/off ----> Result: NO click/crackle sound

Any suggestions on how to detect and eliminate the cause of the click/crackle noise

Check if there is no short or fluctuations in the current. Plug it in a different room and compare

I always get it all the time. Regulators are notorious devices. I am using dedicated phase wire for audio. I guess neutral wire also need to be dedicated to solve this.

Is your amp chassis earthed? If not, try connecting to earth with a simple ground lifter.

Get the circuit checked for faults. As @firearm12 said, regulators are notorious.
Before adding more devices, get the basic fault identified and fix that.

Cheers,
Raghu

So as the heading states whenever I turn off or change the speed of the fan (only one fan from where the electrical connection to the setup is provided) i hear a click/crackle sound thru my speakers.
setup
Mains --> APC BR1000 UPS --> Sound foundations POWERBASE power filter and protection unit --> AudioNote OTO PP --> AudioNote AZ3 spkrs

What I have tried (both with 3 & 2 pin power cords for AMP):
1. No music played, turn the fan on/off ----> Result: click/crackle sound
2. No music played mains switch off, now receiving power from UPS battery, turn the fan on/off ----> Result: click/crackle sound
3. No music played mains switch off and unplugged, now receiving power from UPS battery, turn the fan on/off ----> Result: NO click/crackle sound

Any suggestions on how to detect and eliminate the cause of the click/crackle noise
Hi Sydney :)

I suspect that you might have a electronic speed regulator for the fan. Fondly hope the below pics will illustrate the problem. Iam no hot shot at electronics, so my dumb advise would be to try replacing with a regulator of the capacitance type. ( we used big box resistance type regulators as kids :D )SmartSelect_20201012-184758_Chrome.jpgSmartSelect_20201012-184858_Chrome.jpg

Hi Sydney :)

I suspect that you might have a electronic speed regulator for the fan. Fondly hope the below pics will illustrate the problem. Iam no hot shot at electronics, so my dumb advise would be to try replacing with a regulator of the capacitance type. ( we used big box resistance type regulators as kids :D )View attachment 50822View attachment 50823
Now to elaborate a little further. I use a power regenrator , to destroy the incoming non sine wave AC wave form, by converting it to DC. And then back to AC again. Despite this arrangement, I still get a click when I switch on my fan. Though varying the speed doesn't seem to upset anything.

Dimmable led lights do the exact same thing, by using pulse width modulation. And dump back noise and hum into the main line. That was the main reason why I didn't go for hue lighting or dimmable lighting in my living room HT system. Despite having a Logitech home elite pro in the system to control the lighting if I wanted.

Now to elaborate a little further. I use a power regenrator , to destroy the incoming non sine wave AC wave form, by converting it to DC. And then back to AC again. Despite this arrangement, I still get a click when I switch on my fan. Though varying the speed doesn't seem to upset anything.

Dimmable led lights do the exact same thing, by using pulse width modulation. And dump back noise and hum into the main line. That was the main reason why I didn't go for hue lighting or dimmable lighting in my living room HT system. Despite having a Logitech home elite pro in the system to control the lighting if I wanted.
Oops i too use Hue and Wiz

Oops i too use Hue and Wiz
Don't worry..our televisions, AC's, refrigerators, led lights, phone chargers and a lot more are doing the same thing. Just that some are more noticable than the others. There is no escape in today's world :D

Sorry to Chip in late.

This is a common situation, and was Extremely aggravating in the days when I recorded Audio cassettes from my amp and Turntable. Worse ... the Doorbell would spoil a recording ! :mad:

Solution is Simple ....

1. Buy a 0.01 Microfrad / 2000 Volts DC Capacitor ( less than Rs 10 )
& a 100 Ohm 1 Watt Carbon Resistor ( (approx Rs 2 ).

Connect Them in Series.... ie o------ Capacitor ------------Resistor --------o

You Now have 2 Open ends that I have marked with a o---

2. Connect these 2 Open Ends across the 2 screw terminals of the Fan Switch (Which creates the crackle when Switched on)

Will solve yr switch crackle.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back