Turntable choice

pksnathan

Dear friends,
For buying a new TT I have narrowed my choice to either Pro-ject Debut or Denon after a web search.But I am in a dilemma to choose between the two.I would prefer a TT with a heavy platter between 10-15k.having 33,45 and 78 rpm with a built in pre-amp.I would listen to mostly Tamil and Hindi songs and light English music.Please help me to choose one.
Sincerely,
pksnathan

hi pksnathan,

project would be my vote. honestly for 10-15k you wouldnt get a heavy platter. but the debut with its existing platter sounds very good!

regards

The project is better, but it does not play 78rpm out of the box. You have to buy the SB model, or buy the speed box separately. Set the speed to 45rpm on the SB, and also move the belt to the 45rpm pulley (as you would do in a model without the SB to play the 45rpm records). This makes the table spin at 78rpm.

can external phono be used later with turntables with in built phono?

Usually not, but the Denon DP-300F has a switch to make that possible.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hello,
while selecting a turntable I think one should keep in mind the auto turn off feature. I am using this project debut turn table the problem is I have to be alert all the time to see when the lp is coming to an end so that I can manually place the tone arm at the beginning. I find it bit of a let down speacially when am listening to classical music where each side has only one composition. Just a thought.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Back